Author Topic: 74 Honda CB500 Four Cafe TX  (Read 17939 times)

Offline Luckystrike

74 Honda CB500 Four Cafe TX
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
Well, I thought I would show my restoration and introduce myself all at the same time. I'm very new to motorcycles. Like most people like me, I have wanted one for quite some time, particularly a classic Honda. There may be some things I get wrong along the way, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

I live in the Dallas, Texas area. CBs are getting harder to come by in these parts, at least in somewhat decent condition anyway. I found this one in Houston on craigs, spent the night and picked her up in the morning. It turned over after a push start, but wouldn't idle. Everything else appeared to be solid. No oil leaks, no weird smells or clouds coming from the exhaust. It hadn't been registered since 86. The forks seemed to be in good but rusty shape. No pitting or rotting to speak of. I thought, why not? And back home in the bed of my truck she went. A buddy of mine (who is also new to bikes) found one in Memphis. His is a 76 550 F, it was wrecked, but turned over and idled. It had nothing but cosmetic damage and twisted forks.

So, after 5 days of locating and running the roads, we had two bikes in the back yard under a makeshift lean-to that we made out of a tarp. After 3 nights of turning wrenches and swatting mosquitoes, we had bare frames and wrapped motors, setting on 4x4 pallets.

I've looked at countless photos on the web. I love the cafe look, but I also like bikes that walk the fine line of cafe and classic. I want the bike to maintain its natural beauty, but bring it into the 21st century at the same time. Here is what has happened so far:

I was able to get a shop manual which has helped me by leaps and bounds. I ran into some infamous difficulties along the way. First of all, the oil filter housing bolt looked as though someone took an impact wrench to it and stripped it, making it very hard to pull out. I eventually had to cut into the housing with a dremel, just so I could turn the bolt with a pair of needle noses. I'm not too shook up about it because I plan on getting an aftermarket adapter for a chrome filter. Of course the screws on the left side cover, were totally stripped and needed a puller I got for $8 at home depot. The clutch cable was crimped into place which was a bear to get out. The engine came out with no complaints.  I plan on powder coating the frame and wheels, and new handle bars. I tossed the air box and am going to go with some nice aftermarket filters.

The harness is in OK shape. I'll probably opt for building a new one or getting one built. The over abundance of electrical tape is starting to irk me a bit. The first stupid mistake I made was with the tank. I was prepping it last night for stripping and priming. I took the emblems off and went to work on the brackets beneath, that are basically bolted on from the inside of the tank, little to my knowledge at the time. I couldn't just let them be because there were copious amounts of rust under them, so much so that there was no longer any paint. I couldn't just prime and forget. So I went to lightly prying. Moments later, I have part of a tab and a 6mm size chunk of the tank in my hand. My stomach dropped, to say the least. You live, you pay and you learn I suppose.

My questions:

Is there a way to simplify the wiring harness, such as new capacitors and possibly a smaller circuit board. I'm planning on opting for a KOS two in one instrument panel.

Is there a way to repair a 6mm hole in the tank without using JB or bondo? In other words, can it be welded in an almost seamless way? Finally, is it possible to make a CB tank completely smooth, ridding it of the intense indentions, made by the factory prior to attaching the emblems?   

I need an expert opinion on the swing arm. Should I toss it or get it smoothed out. It looks as though the previous owner was running it with a loose chain. 

Thanks for reading. Any recommendations and advice are much appreciated, especially when it comes to the motor. I will update as the project progresses.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: 74 Honda CB500 Four Cafe TX
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »
Welcome!  I'm about 4 hours south of you and also have a 550.  I would find a replacement swing arm and install new bushings.

Good Luck
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:55 pm »
yes, look out for a replacement swingarm on feebay.
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:35:49 am »
Welcome to the forums lots of nice people. Not sure what can be done on the gas tank Im sure it could be welded and be fine. One piece of advice I would give you is hang on to that old airbox. Personally I would get the bike running right with the stock airbox then once its running right add the pods or whatever. Using the stock one then taking it off later on is not a big deal.

Matt
My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline harisuluv

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:00:44 am »
Nice find.  You're right, any CB is getting harder to find nowadays.  Even noticeable within the past year. 

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I bought a new swingarm, filter housing, new forks, tires and a boat load of other goodies. I took the ears off of the forks and found irreparable damage, much to my dismay. The damage was so severe, that a millimeter of metal had been eaten. My conscience wouldn't let me roll with these on my bike so I found some from a 500T in much better shape. 

The frame and the new swing arm are off to be sand blasted and powder coated. I need to get a rolling chassis so the work can continue. The tank has been fixed, thankfully. I was able to make it back home to my family's place and fill the hole with the arc welder. I coated the weld in JB for good measure and covered the indentions from the emblem tabs with bondo and smoothed it down in preparation for paint. I stripped the tank and took a wire wheel to it, and now it's down to bare metal. The de-rusting process of the tank was a pain. I used the Kreem kit and found out why people hate it the hard way. It de-rusted and etched like a charm, but the liner, on the other hand, was sloppy and pooled too quickly, so when I took the wire wheel to the bottom of the tank, after letting it sit over night, the mere heat from the friction caused the liner to melt and fall out of the top. If anyone has messed with Kreem, they know what I mean when I say that the smell and handling of that stuff is sheer hell. I'm not comfortable with keeping that stuff in there. I know after a day in the Texas heat, that stuff will melt and be in my carbs in no time. So, I'm going to take some MEK and get it out and re-line it with something better. 

I have decided to de-rust and paint the wheels black. I found that getting the front wheel axle bolt off to be a pain, which I'm still stuck on by the way. I have broken one screwdriver trying to get it off already. Since I don't have an impact wrench, my options are fairly limited. There is another question on how I will manage to pull the bearings out as well. I'm open to suggestions of course.   

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:58:40 pm »
Tank

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:06:35 pm »
  Since I don't have an impact wrench, my options are fairly limited. There is another question on how I will manage to pull the bearings out as well. I'm open to suggestions of course.   

get these tools, dead blow hammer, impact drivers and bits,  they come in really handy and i've never thought i would use them in my life before this. 

for your bearing, many threads around if you use the search but here's mine and i'm advertising my own thread here lol http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106490.0  post #21
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline wm6929

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:30 pm »
caswells tank kit is awesome

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »
I'm trying to get everything ready for the big rebuild. I have broken many bolts along the way and lost a few nuts. Does anyone know where I can find a bolt, nut and fastener list so I can replace everything that is too worn or broken or lost? I've seen some on ebay, but they are mostly for the engine. 

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:15:33 am »
I would love to have a stainless Allen bolt kit for the entire bike.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
74 Honda CB500 Four Cafe TX
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:32 am »
Welcome to the forum!  I am tagging along now. I am just down the road from you in McKinney.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:12:04 am »
Welcome and subscribed
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 08:59:58 am »

I must say, it has been a long time since I've given an update. I didn't want anyone to think I had given up or anything. I've moved everything to my family's shop since the last update. I've only been able to squeeze in work on the weekends, so it has been slow moving. I still stand by what I had said before, "You pay for the sins of the previous owner." At any rate, I was able to get my hands on some awesome equipment. I picked up a sandblaster, built an engine stand, powder coating machine and a bike jack. This is the engine portion of my update. As soon as the engine was snugly hung on the stand, the whole top end came off and was rebuilt. The gaskets were a pain, but came off after a good soak and some elbow grease. I re-honed the cylinders, and replaced a set of rings on one piston because of signs of blow-by. The valve springs were cleaned and reset. Every gasket and O ring was replaced. The sandblaster made quick work of many parts that needed to be cleaned. I took special care not to let any debris or sand get into the case. Most parts were taken off and soaked in kerosine after. I covered the holes and blasted the engine with walnut shells afterward. Then, I took a mist gun and sprayed it down with kerosine. And took special care to mist the inside as well. I pulled the oil pan off and let it drain.

The new toy.

URL=http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Luckystrike077/media/photo2_zps46456459.jpg.html][/URL]

Stand that my dad and I built

Needless to say the blaster really made my work easier.

After breaking down the top end, I gave it a good kerosine mist and drained it.

This is before being covered and blasted with walnut shells and some wet/dry sand paper.

AND.. this is after.

After powder coating the point and side covers.

After some tedious work with loose red powder to create the red background.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:29:05 am by Luckystrike »

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:16 am »
Ok, this will cover the suspension restoration.

A cheap gun I picked up at Harbor Freight. I will probably pick up a better one once this project is finished.

All blasted, taped off and ready for the oven.

After they have been rebuilt and polished

A makeshift oven I built for the bigger parts.

The tank had rusted while in storage so I had to mummy wrap it in shop towels, soaked in Evaporust. I let it sit over night. This stuff works great.

Old Spokes

New Spokes

Sittin Pretty and waiting

A makeshift truing stand

My brand new bike stand

Sent them off to get the tires put on and balanced. I wanted to do it myself, bit they had the better equipment.

AND... here she is, waiting on the engine.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:43:49 am by Luckystrike »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:51:31 pm »
looks fantastic, great update.

Makes me want to get a powdercoat setup.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:43 pm »
Thanks, powder coating is dead simple. It's all in the prep and pre-heating. It's pretty cheap to get into as well. I would go with Eastwoods powdercoaitng kit. It's a great setup.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
Very impressive!
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:08 am »
I was able to get the engine in this weekend. I got sick soon after so I wasn't able to go further. I've had the flu all weekend, so needless to say, a heavy engine like this one will take the fire out of you.

I couldn't help putting the tank and seat on. It's been a long time coming.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 06:37:52 am »
Great work so far.  Love the wheels and all the nicely powder coated parts.  I would like to lace and true up some wheels this summer what tools will I need.  Also, who make those tires they are sweet!

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:22 pm »
Looks like someone else is admiring it too!

Offline davidtime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
Great work. Give me more info on your makeshift oven. Thats an idea I like for sure.

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 11:35:10 am »
Great work so far.  Love the wheels and all the nicely powder coated parts.  I would like to lace and true up some wheels this summer what tools will I need.  Also, who make those tires they are sweet!

Thanks! Powder coating gets addicting. Really all you need is a spoke wrench or a crescent. You can buy a truing stand from Harbor Freight or go the cheap route like I did and build one. All it needs to do is hold the axle in place so the wheel can freely spin on the bearings. You need some tape to mark the 'trouble spot' and tape a cut down drinking straw to the post of the stand about 6mm off of the rim so you can see the wobble. It's pretty simple and will take a hot minute to do. They are a vintage style Firestone tire. I bought them off of dimecitycycles.com. They have a ton of different styles to choose from. Good prices too.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:49:50 am by Luckystrike »

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »
Great work. Give me more info on your makeshift oven. Thats an idea I like for sure.

It was really thrown together. I needed something quick for the bigger parts like the wheels and the swing arm. I grabbed some 3 x 3 angle and welded a rectangular frame about 3ft x 2 1/2ft and pre-drilled pilot holes into the frame. I went to home depot and grabbed about 4 sheets( I recommend 5) of corrugated steel sheet. You can find those at Home Depot in the water heater section in sheets of 4ft x4ft. Don't get the roll. Then I picked up some fireplace caulking. I bought a turkey deep fryer that was discounted because it was missing the stand. This is what I used for the burner. It's cheap and puts off a lot of heat.

I cut the sheets to fit each side and predrilled them. I used rivets to set the sheets to the frame and caulked the cracks and edges. I ran the tube of the burner through the bottom and hooked it up to the propane tank. I also put an oven thermometer in as well.

I built a frame for the door out of 1/2in x 1/2in angle and cut the sheet to fit in it like a frame. I used 2 inch metal strap to secure the sheet in place with self tapping screws. I put some ordinary hinges on and hung the door. Also, foil tape or real foil duct tape helps to secure and seal. It can withstand a decent amount of heat.

It gets to about 350 degrees. Which is just enough for the powder to flow out and bake. You kind of have to watch it since you can't adjust the temp accurately. As soon as the powder begins to flow out. Give it 15 minutes and then pull the part out and either let it cool or put on a second coat if you like.

Like I said, this was just something I threw together on a whim. I needed something I could put together quickly to get my bigger parts done( that I couldn't put into my convection oven). I hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good Luck! 

Offline Luckystrike

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 11:46:12 am »

It's been a while since an update, so I thought I would and pose a question at the very same time. I've been busy helping a friend rebuild a bike I gave him. I had a 550 lying around and he has always wanted to give motorcycle mechanics a shot. So we've been busy rebuilding the top end and cleaning parts, as well as waiting on parts to arrive.

A new battery has been purchased, the points have been checked as well as the tappet clearances. New cables have been installed into the ignition coils. I'm getting spark, the engine turns and I'm running a fuel source to the carbs. But I'm not getting any fire. Not even a pop. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out something that I'm missing. Any opinions. Like I said, the timing has been set, the tappet clearances  have been checked and adjusted.

Last but not least. I came across an awesome find. There is a couple I graduated college with. One night we were sitting on their patio of their apartment and I had noticed that they had an old Honda sitting in the corner. I was just getting into bike then and wanted to buy it from them (Brooke and Justin). The story was, that Justin's father picked it up at an estate sale and couldn't get it running and sent Justin out with it to the trash. Brooke saw him wheeling this gorgeous thing out to the trash and stopped him. She had fallen in love with the blue tank and wanted to fix it. So it sat on their porch for 4 years. So when I asked her about it a year ago, she gave me the "From my cold dead hands" speech and I dropped it. :)

For the past two weeks I had been looking for a small twin to work on while I'm at home during the week( I work on the 500 on the weekends since it's in the shop 60 miles away). I scoured craigs for one and most were sold or were already restored. I was driving through town 5 days ago and gave Justin a call. I asked if they still had the Honda and what it was exactly. He didn't know for sure but told me to go visit his wife who was bar tending down town. So I stopped and had a drink. After I gained the liquid courage I needed I asked her about the bike again. I was worried she would throw an empty glass at me. After some moments of almost tears, she said "Ok, she's yours."

"How much?" I asked.
" No it's YOURS, I got it for free and you will get it for free."

Later that night I was driving home with a 1974 CB450 in the bed of my truck. This dusty beauty is now sitting in my garage. I know she's a twin so I won't post anything on here about it. But I thought you guys might enjoy the story. It's funny how life works out, huh?

Anyway, back to my question. After all that we've done to the bike, what could the problem be that it is not starting?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:48:32 am by Luckystrike »