Author Topic: CylecX WINS today at Elkhart Lake...Sunday update...unbelievable  (Read 57617 times)

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CylecX WINS today at Elkhart Lake...Sunday update...unbelievable
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
I want to see those pics.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »
me too...that must be a hell of a bike...and a helluva rider :o...somebody out there has got to have video...lets buy the CycleX team a gopro before that bike blows up!
If it works good, it looks good...

Online MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
Let me tell you guys that it was an unbelievably amazing performance to watch. You could just see him riding the absolute crap out of the bike. Every lap would go by and he would come by where I was standing, having passed something like 6 bikes. I wasn't sure he could do it, after seeing how fast that gpz1000 was yesterday, but I was cheering when I saw him in front. I went by their tent after the race and one of the guys said he had something like a 7 second lead at the end! I'vegot pics that I will upload soon of the bike. He was leaning so far he was scraping the shifter and even some of the sidecover screws!! The back tire was absolutely roached!
Thank you for the Birds eye view. Yes....Kenny said EVERTHING was rubbing.....this rider is THE BALLS.l One set of tires....well that will change. This rider is the man. the bike is good. Let's get behind kenny and the rider. Mid-Ohio ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 06:58:44 pm »
Bike #25....Kevin Calloway.......The intake ports are relocated at a 15-degree improvement.....I watched in amazement as Calloway was screaming down the home-straight and gaining on each lap.  Hoodelly has pics of the bike and the track-marks on the dyno and points covers. Ken is very excited!! and he should be. 

The motor is tight with no sign of oil film anywhere! Ken is making plans for Gratton MI next weekend and was asking me about Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele (SLC). I told him to increase the inventory because this motor is just fantastic!  The nice arched-brace just in front of the tire on the stock swingarm seems to be very effective.  Ken had to modify the upper frame to get the CRs to fit because of the angle of the intakes. Ken also reports the Calloway REALLY knows how to corner and does not wear out the brake pads!  Lots of pics on facebook.  BTW......Road America was a great time for all 3-days of practice and racing.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Online MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »
Bike #25....Kevin Calloway.......The intake ports are relocated at a 15-degree improvement.....I watched in amazement as Calloway was screaming down the home-straight and gaining on each lap.  Hoodelly has pics of the bike and the track-marks on the dyno and points covers. Ken is very excited!! and he should be. 

The motor is tight with no sign of oil film anywhere! Ken is making plans for Gratton MI next weekend and was asking me about Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele (SLC). I told him to increase the inventory because this motor is just fantastic!  The nice arched-brace just in front of the tire on the stock swingarm seems to be very effective.  Ken had to modify the upper frame to get the CRs to fit because of the angle of the intakes. Ken also reports the Calloway REALLY knows how to corner and does not wear out the brake pads!  Lots of pics on facebook.  BTW......Road America was a great time for all 3-days of practice and racing.
Thanks Scrambler....I wish I was there.
  Mike

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »
wow. This thread is really exciting even without pics. Great accounts and descriptions. wooooo

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »
It was so fun to watch. I was watching the riders accelerate up a hill and while every other rider seemed pretty still, Kevin was shifting with his whole body. His throttle arm and torso would lift up and then he would just slam it down with all his might, like he was going to twist the whole handelbar. He was really manhandling that bike. Nothing subtle or gentle about it. He wanted that win worse than anyone else on the track and it showed.

They had him sign the tire...said they should hang it on the wall at the shop

1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 07:45:18 pm »
AWESOME pictures. That thing was rode hard and put away wet. I want that pipe for my new build.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »
Awesome ... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:51 pm »
RA is a 4-mile track.....and each race is 6 laps......on lap 5 the call from the annoucer was all about how it may have been a real great race if Calloway had not stalled the bike on the start.........his voice was one of disbelief when they came to checkered and Calloway was in the lead and running away!

Ken's whole crew was jumping and glad-handing all around. I even spotted a few hugs!  I ran over and shook hands with Ken and patted him on the back....what a big grin and look of amazement he had!  Everyone hurried to the pit to meet Calloway as he rode up.

He is a very smooth rider. The bike has so much power it pulls the hill going to the finish line so strongly that it litterally looks like a superbike heading down the straight for turn 1.  The header and megaphone-style pipe has a sound of its own.
Dennis in Wisconsin
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:06 am »
good job on C-X, who would have thought it was possible with a sohc against the dohcs?

looks like a well sorted bike

the guy has been a race winner in AHRMA before, so that sure cant hurt :)

i.e. did donwdraft inlets on my 500/4 years ago but it didnt turn me into  a race winner overnight.... how odd ;)

TG

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:52 am »
Well they all should be proud. Dragging case screws...crazy bastard. ;D

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:24 am »
Someone told me that Kenny had a file to them there screws. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well done team. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 04:26:17 am »
Dragging case screws...crazy bastard. ;D

everything on earth is relativ, especially with 17" wheels.
nevertheless congrats! seemingly a more than talented rider.

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 05:29:25 am »
Congrats Ken, looks like you scored a hell of a team and one crazy B driver!
and thanks for the pic's hoodellyhoo it's great to get to see this stuff. ;)

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 07:49:58 am »
We want mo info...shox,rear wheel disc,f wheel come on,you know we want mo!!!!!!!!Engine mods pls? ::) Bill
The SOHC world is proud of ya'll!!!!!! ;D 8)
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 08:02:29 am »

everything on earth is relativ, especially with 17" wheels.

mec
was thinking the same mec, bike looks a bit low on those 17", but when you win... hard to argue with the result... nevertheless, dragging hard parts is asking for trouble IMHO... hit a bump a bit harder than usual and weight will come off the wheels...   

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 08:42:31 am »

mec

It would be nice if the bike really was super quick and the rider was a complete novice. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I once watched a 6 lap junior race where a youngster on a Kawasaki AR80 was up against a hoard of 125 Cagiva Mitos and Aprilia RSs.
He started from the back of the grid and fell when leading before one lap was completed.
He remounted and took the lead only to do the same thing 2 more times before winning the race by a country mile.
All the riders were experienced youngsters but this kid was in his first race, the crowd went wild after watching this unfold, this kid was going places. After that race he was known as fast Jimmy Toseland. ;)

Raw talent can overcome an under powered bike. Looks like Ken had the best of both worlds. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:05 am »
 ;D I'm just PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SOHC rules!!!!!! The FIRST SUPERBIKE!!!!! ::) 8) CycleX ya'll ROCK!! Thanks,Bill..Please get a Go-Pro,you could market that last race! ;) ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 09:24:09 am »
Bill and others.........PROUD is the word today!  Callaway is a calm rider and looks completely at ease in the pits. He made a mistake in the 1st race but THE BIKE was able to make up for it.  I don't know how Callaway stalled the bike at the beginning of the second race but its confusing on the start-line to see the bikes in front of you get waved off and you have to wait for your class-start. He is a talented rider for sure.......but the bike just GOES!  If he would have ridden that well with a decent start he would have won by a half-a-lap!!! ;D ;D ;D 

Regarding scrapes and bumps..........the scapes on the bike are basically allen-screw heads..........and the track is SMOOTH...........this is Road America 8) 8) 8)  The team now has to back it up on shorter tracks with surfaces that really eat tires..........and Ken has already commendted on the cost of that gumball tread!

But very PROUD he should be and WE should take great PRIDE in being associated with our fellow group members for all the support we can give 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
Well said Dennis. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:19 am »
Awesome story! They have a few details and pictures of the bike on their webpage too....Would've been something to see that bike in the corners.
'75 CB400f

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »
If somebody could sometime soon confirm if the bike and rider were going to be at Grattan it would be appreciated and what day . Myself and a couple of guys could easily make that trip.

Online MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »
I know Kenny is seriously thinking of it as it is Calloway's home track

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:51 pm »
OK guys, being from the UK I'm not to know. Is this Kevin a top notch national rider that Kenny has draffted in, or just a good club rider?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92