Author Topic: CylecX WINS today at Elkhart Lake...Sunday update...unbelievable  (Read 57622 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: CylecX WINS today at Elkhart Lake...Sunday update...unbelievable
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »
My quick read of Google info says he is a WERA and AHRMA racer with a few wins on various brands since 2002.  He has raced at Grattan and Barber, maybe others, so he has experience. 

When he road up to the pit you could see his eager look for approval from Ken.  That ugly looking mess on the seat was applied with tape at his request. This weekend was his first time on the bike.  If you look at the front forks you can see the length of travel as the dust covers moved the Zip-tie upward......maybe explains the 'scratches' on the allen heads. 
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline JohnN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2012, 07:01:51 pm »
I spoke with Ken this morning and he also said Calloway is laid back, that is until he got stuck on the grid while the rest of the pack was waved on. Ken said Calloway had a crazed look in his eye; his father was getting concerned about what he saw and warned him to "take it easy out there". I don't think he listened!

John
CR750 replica
CB750K2
85 VF500F
66 CA160
67 CT90
2000 Triumph 955i
69 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
The MAN was in the ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D,He wasn't listening to anyone,one thought ....WIN! and he did!! 8) Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 08:25:53 am »
I'll have to try that if you'll let me. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ::) ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »
It's easy....don't redlight,get there first,don't break out! ::) see,3 easy steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;D I'll do another WET burnout or non burnout for a Sam Green WIN!!!!! 8) Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Eboz

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:08 pm »
First just want to thank SOHC for allowing me to join the site.  If you don't mind I'd like to give an update from the riders perspective as Kevin and I have raced together in WERA for years and to hear him talk about what a great time he had is surely a compliment to cyclexchange and all the people who put the time and effort into making this bike.   So here's a 2nd person recap of the weekend paraphrased from what kevin told me in our discussion yesterday.  First Kev says the bike is badass and the modifications done by the builders were right on especially the front brakes and motor.  What the previous posts don't tell is that Kevin also took his 2008 Triumph 675 to this event so that he could participate in two other races.  The Honda had a small ignition problem before first practice so he took out the triumph to learn the track.  on lap 2 with the triumph, he was deep into a corner outbraking some other competitors and unfortunately put the triump in the gravel and rolled it over a couple of time.  So cyclexchanges first impression of Kevin as he rode the bike into the pits had to be a little shakey.  Here's a guy who just crashed a triumph rolling back into the pits and asking if the Honda is ready to go.   He said the crews eyes kind of looked at him like, R U crazy or what?  Here's a guy who just crashed a modern bike requesting time on our hard work and effort with little remorse for the damage he just inflicted on his own ride.  lol   Not to mention when he pulled his helmet off a half a pound of gravel fell out.  First impression of the Honda on the track is that the motor pulls strong and despite the age of the bike it feels fast and surprisingly stable.  Only complaint thus far is the original seat puts rider too low to move around and makes it difficult to get weight transfered to the front end during corner entry.   If you look at earlier pictures you will see gorilla tape and about a 2 inch pad taped to the beautiful seat that was originally on the bike.  Only other change was front brake pads to something with a little more initial bite and mid corner feel.  I'll stop at this point as I'm not sure if you are interested in reading the riders account but if you are just let me know and I'll post the race recap from the riders perspective.

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 05:57:26 pm »
Eboz:

Welcome and huge thanks for posting your account.  Feel free to keep writing.
Take care,
David

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 05:58:13 pm »
 ;D ;D Former WERA racer here! ::)85-87 Get Busy!!! We want it all!!!!!!! Please pics ,info next race,website for news.........time to get the magazines involved.Mitch needs to cover this! ;) Welcome aboard and Good Luck! Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »
Eboz, welcome! And on behalf of everyone else that keeps up with this thread. HELL YEA, more info please!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 06:51:39 pm »
Welcome...honest feedback is what is about. Some stuff works....some doesn't. I hope there are no high and mighty types here. ::) ;) ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »
I have no clue what its like to knee drag so please indulge us with the play by play. I'm all ears myself.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2012, 07:16:02 pm »
Eboz - welcome. Please post again, the more details the better. Thanks.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Eboz

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2012, 07:41:54 pm »
OK thanks for the warm greetings and encouragement, so here goes.  First a little background info on Kevin and his racing and motorcycle history.  He and his father have an original CB750 supersport that was purchased new and still in the family, I state this fact as it will come into play later in the story.   Kevins dad will be refered to as "POPs', who is a motorcyle addict and one of the best men you will ever meet.  He actually raced with kevin and I in WERA V7 Middle weight and Heavy weight before retiring in 2008.  Old guys don't crash as well as old bikes.  lol   Now back to the story.  Kev and Pops brought their supersport to Road America so that the cycle exchange guys could do an engine refresh in their spare time.  lol  This supersport just so happened to have the extra ignition system that was used to get the cyclex beast back running for the event.  Second practice Kev tells me with the updated seat and new brake pads that this thing is an absolute blast to ride and the modifications done to the front brake rotors by cyclex is the bomb.  During practice he's set his sights on the number one plate holder, riding the perfectly sorted kawasaki.  He gets behind the rider and notes how smooth he rides and the power of his bike.  While the SOHC makes enough power to hang in the draft he makes a mental note that he does not feel he will be able to outpower the bigger bike down the long straights.  Now for those who don't roadrace, this is not a critique of the bike just a fact.  In road racing there's a lot more than just going fast in a straight line and there always seems to be someone with more power.   The true test of the bike is what it does in the other critical categories, such as braking, corner entry, mid-corner stability and how well it gets off a corner.  If you can get on the gas mid corner and hold your line chances are you can make up ground on the competition.   Guess what, the cyclex Honda seems to do all these things very well.  So during the practice Kevin is making mental notes on where he feels he can make up time on the other rider but decides not to show him a wheel.  Strategy in place.  Ok we now have a bike that is set up for the rider, the bike is operating flawlessly and we have a race strategy.   More to follow.   

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
Here's a guy who just crashed a modern bike requesting time on our hard work and effort with little remorse for the damage he just inflicted on his own ride.  lol   Not to mention when he pulled his helmet off a half a pound of gravel fell out.

Welcome Eboz, now that is need to know stuff! ;)

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
Eboz, this is great!!!  It's like Penthouse Forums for SOHC guys!!!  Keep it coming here!!!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 10:52:23 pm »
Eboz, this is great!!!  It's like Penthouse Forums for SOHC guys!!!  Keep it coming here!!!

+1 gripping stuff!! Thanks for posting all of this!

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2012, 12:25:59 am »
First just want to thank SOHC for allowing me to join the site.  If you don't mind I'd like to give an update from the riders perspective as Kevin and I have raced together in WERA for years and to hear him talk about what a great time he had is surely a compliment to cyclexchange and all the people who put the time and effort into making this bike.   So here's a 2nd person recap of the weekend paraphrased from what kevin told me in our discussion yesterday.  First Kev says the bike is badass and the modifications done by the builders were right on especially the front brakes and motor.  What the previous posts don't tell is that Kevin also took his 2008 Triumph 675 to this event so that he could participate in two other races.  The Honda had a small ignition problem before first practice so he took out the triumph to learn the track.  on lap 2 with the triumph, he was deep into a corner outbraking some other competitors and unfortunately put the triump in the gravel and rolled it over a couple of time.  So cyclexchanges first impression of Kevin as he rode the bike into the pits had to be a little shakey.  Here's a guy who just crashed a triumph rolling back into the pits and asking if the Honda is ready to go.   He said the crews eyes kind of looked at him like, R U crazy or what?  Here's a guy who just crashed a modern bike requesting time on our hard work and effort with little remorse for the damage he just inflicted on his own ride.  lol   Not to mention when he pulled his helmet off a half a pound of gravel fell out.  First impression of the Honda on the track is that the motor pulls strong and despite the age of the bike it feels fast and surprisingly stable.  Only complaint thus far is the original seat puts rider too low to move around and makes it difficult to get weight transfered to the front end during corner entry.   If you look at earlier pictures you will see gorilla tape and about a 2 inch pad taped to the beautiful seat that was originally on the bike.  Only other change was front brake pads to something with a little more initial bite and mid corner feel.  I'll stop at this point as I'm not sure if you are interested in reading the riders account but if you are just let me know and I'll post the race recap from the riders perspective.

Test. Colour. Just checking the spell check to see if you are a jurno. ;D ;D ;D ;D
You did fail and this makes your two posts all the more amazing, you really must think of becoming a jurno Eboz. ;D ;D ;D
A fantastic read, welcome and thanks for joining our community. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 12:57:29 am »
Great read, more please...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Big Bob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 02:54:47 am »
I probably had the best seat in the house.  I was out there on the track.

Ken's bike went by me like I was stapled to a tree several times in practice.  The thing howled past going down the front straight and then swept through turn 1 smooth as glass.  Crazy fast.

I was pitted right down the road from them and could see they had to do a bit of thrashing on the bike during practice on Friday.  I'd like to hear more about their ignition issues because both Cycle X and a bike that I built had ignition issues in the pits at Road America during 2011.  Them on their Superbike, me on a Production Class CB400F that I built for a friend.  I swapped in a stock ignition, the Cycle X bike never worked right that weekend.

But I was glad to see them back.  They had the bike dialed in by Friday afternoon and the thing sounded great.

Saturday, race 1.  I have no illusions about my abilities as a racer.  I'm not very good, I'm 100 pounds heavier than the next biggest guy, and my bike is a SOHC 836 that me and my buddies put together in my garage in a class full of DOHC 900 and 1000cc machines.  There's a pair of slightly ratty GS 1000 bikes ridden by friends of mine, a really nice GS 1000, a couple CB900F bikes one of which has a BUNCH of original Honda factory race parts on it.  And then there's the Kawasaki.  From what I've been told it's an original factory superbike from the early 80's, it's got the #1 plate, and the rider knows what he's doing.  Tough crowd, but my bike runs great and I get to ride it around with a big dumb grin on my face, burning fuel and wearing out knee sliders.

We pull into the grid and get lined up.  I'm in the back row of the class so I'm out of the way for the start.  Green flag drops and everyone turns into small dots going over the horizon.  I ride around by myself, missing the days when I raced in Production Heavyweight and had someone to run with.  I'm on lap 4 when my shifter linkage breaks right when I'm coming down the front straight.  I pull off and get out of the way behind a low wall.  I'm about 40 feet from the finish line, best seat in the house.  Pull off my helmet and wait for the rescue truck.

Hey, here comes that Kawasaki!  And Kevin is right on his ass.  I can see the Cycle X guys over on the other side of the track, they're losing their minds.  White flag, one lap to go.

3 minutes later and here they come again.  Kevin is in the lead coming up the hill into a headwind, the smaller size of the CB750 comes into play as they come down the straight and Kevin pulls it off.  First place.  The Cycle X guys go nuts, jumping around, yelling, you've never seen a bunch of guys so happy.

Later at the awards presentation Ken looked like someone hit him in the head with a hammer.  Totally dazed, permagrin welded onto his face.

Day 2.  Got my bike fixed and went out for practice.  Didn't see the Cycle X bike.  Heard rumors overnight that the #1 plate Kawasaki had some issues during the race but they've been fixed.  Let's see what happens.

Pulling into the grid I can see Kevin waving his arms, his bike died when he pulled up.  He tries to bump start it but he can't, it's too big, he's too small, too much compression.  The Cycle X guys are 30 feet away waving a kick starter but the grid marshalls won't let them on the track, it's not safe and it's unfair to make all the other bikes wait.  Kevin gets pushed off into the weeds so the race can go.

A brief diversion here to explain something about the America Historic Motorcycle Racing Association.  We're a small club with more than 30 roadrace classes.  Some of these classes will only have a few entries.  It's not possible to have separate races for all the classes so we run a lot of them in simultaneous races with bikes of similar speed, size, horsepower, lap time, etc.  For instance - on the grid with us was a group of modern 90 degree V-twin bikes, a bunch of Ducatis and SV650s.  There was a bunch of modern 250cc 2 strokes, not as fast off the line but they weigh nothing and carry insane corner speeds.  And there were a bunch of Triumph Thruxtons running in a Thruxton spec class that's a lot of fun to watch, those guys were in the second wave.  Meaning the first wave, the twins, two strokes, and us in Superbike Heavyweight would get the green flag first.

After we got to turn one the Thruxtons in the second wave would get the green flag.

And after they were safely away Kenny and company would be allowed to cross the track and try to start the bike Kevin was sitting on.

Wave 1 gets the green.  There's been a slight change in the grids and I'm chasing a new racer on a modern Ducati and a very experienced rider on a tiny Honda 2 stroke.  (She's about 110 pounds soaking wet and I can bench press her bike.)  Fun stuff.  As we come down the front straight I can see the Cycle X guys back on the right side of the wall and Kevin is gone!  They got it started!  Too bad about the flubbed start but glad to see it's running, he'll probably catch up in a few laps.

Me and my pack of misfits come up on turn 1, second lap, and Kevin goes by us on the inside.

He caught us.

And passed us.

In one lap.

With us having a 90+ second head start.

Holy #$%*.

Lap 5.  The guy on the Ducati scared himself and backed off, the chick on the little 2 stroke left me in the dust once her tires were warmed up all the way.  It's a beautiful sunny day, my bike runs great, and I'm wondering when they're going to catch me.  I'm coming down the back straight when I hear an engine.  Must be the Kawasaki.

Nope.  Kevin goes by and rails through Canada Corner.  The #1 Kawasaki is about 15 bikes lengths behind him and I can feel the WTF? from here.  Cycle X wins again.

I've spoken to Ken twice in the last two days and I won't be surprised if I hear from him again today.  I might be doing an article on this, not sure where or if it'll be published.  Anyone who has photos should shoot me a PM.

Offline Big Bob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 02:57:56 am »
If somebody could sometime soon confirm if the bike and rider were going to be at Grattan it would be appreciated and what day . Myself and a couple of guys could easily make that trip.

Ken is planning on Grattan.  That's this coming weekend.  Practice all day Friday, racing Saturday and Sunday.

Offline Big Bob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2012, 03:02:32 am »
Does The Speed Channel broadcast the vintage races? Do they even get broadcasted at all? I would LOVE to see this!!!!

Too bad they don't. Vintage provides some of the best racing anywhere!  ::)

Motorcycle racing in the USA is already a niche market.  Vintage racing is a niche market within a niche market.  We're lucky it exists at all.  Want to see it?  Get on your bike and go check it out in person.  Check out ahrma.org and look at the schedule.  Be advised that it is very addictive and you may find yourself spending a lot of time driving around the country in a van full of gear.

Offline Big Bob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:52 am »
good job on C-X, who would have thought it was possible with a sohc against the dohcs?

Mark McGrew.  He's been saying that as long as I've known him.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:11 am »
Rivoting race speak Big Bob & Eboz, thanks guys. 

Offline Eboz

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 06:01:23 am »
I'm baaack!!  Out of respect for Kevin and the cyclex crew I notify Kevin when I post here so that if I stated something wrong  he can use his editorial veto to correct me.  first correction to previous post is that the brake pads were replaced prior to the event with Vesrah SRJl pads which was a rider preference.  If you haven't visited the cyclexchange website I'd recommend it as it shows their build process.  Another impressive feat performed by the cycle x team is that they built their own carriers to create floating rotors.  Kids don't try this at home because if you're like me it would only turn out bad.  lol  Let's work out some lingo before we proceed for those that mentioned they've never roadraced.  If I use the term late braked them, it means that the rider in second going into a corner after a long straight had bigger balls than the rider in front of him, choosing to go deeper into the corner before grabbing the brakes.  Now because of the physics of roadracing the smaller balled rider previously passed, may grow a set down the next straight and choose to unveil his set at the next opportunity.   I can't explain the over all physics of it but from years of club racing experience just when you think you've got the biggest set someone will prove otherwise.  lol  Next term to know is,  "I parked them/him in the corner", this will be used when previously mentioned large objects have put the rider into a position where his manhood has over-ridden his talent level and he's gone so deep and stayed on the brakes so long that he inadvertently has killed the corner entry speed of the riders he just passed.  The last term we will use is "SV bowling", this term was coined from our days of racing WERA where our Vintage 7HW class was gridded behind Heavyweight Twins which include Ducati's, Aprillia's KTM RC8's and several Suzuki SV 650's bumping up one class.  A group of 4 of us racing in Florida developed this term when we aggresively passed a group of SV's in a tight section of the track.  The first rider went underneath two of them causing them to stand up, while I was on the outside of them, needless to say we bounced them back and forth 4 times before all of us got through.  I will use this term when I explain Kevin's second race.  Stay tuned for race one highlights in next post.