Author Topic: The 550's - A Test of Patience (Ignition Install + Tune-up)  (Read 12187 times)

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
Re: Patience is Key - A 550 Build
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
4" width. Thanks. I thought it looked bigger than that. Is the front the standard 19"?

Looks to be standard, but I'll double check it for you. I won't make you wait two weeks again either  ;)

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I started reading it from the beginning and was hoping by the time I got to the end it'd be finished! But alas, it's only begun. You're off to a good start. And remember in the the adverse times when it seems like your bike is going nowhere, remain patient and vigilant!

Messenger, you have walked in on the beginning! It's tough right now as the bike is 60 miles away from where I am currently living, but ideas are flowing and I hope to put some good work into in this month.

I very much appreciate that bit of advice at the end. Stay tuned to the thread and keep referring me back to that as I will inevitably lose my mind.  ;D

-Alex
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122308.0

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
Re: Patience is Key - A 550 Build
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »
I've got to admit that I'm feeling pretty badly about my lack of posting recently here...especially posts with pretty pictures of the progress (or lack-thereof) ::) .

The deal is that I have just recently transplanted myself up to an apartment in Boston and only have room for the one bike that gets me around. The project lives 60 miles South with my dad, and I rarely get home without a ton of sh*t to do. That being said, these next couple weekends I am without the girlfriend and flying solo to the homestead for some (hopeful) time with the '78 and the pops.

Last bit o' news is that I'm going to be throwing some updates on here about my '77 that's up here with me now. I figure this is a good place to keep track of both my rides without starting a new thread and slacking on both  :P .

Cheers and thanks for the views!
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Need a better, newer points cover gasket? How about rubber washers for the headlight bucket? Click the link below:

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
The 550's - A Test of Patience (Ignition Install + Tune-up)
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 09:48:16 pm »
So one week ago I figured I would try my hand at the first (of hopefully many) 3,000 mile tune-up on the '77. Leading up to that glorious Saturday and Sunday I had made some pre-requisite purchases including feeler gauges, Denso plugs, a 3/8" drive impact driver and a few other odds and ends. The not-so necessity purchases included a Stainless Cycle SS fastener kit, a HM ignition, new brake pads and of course the many "have to have" things that I come across daily. Actually, to this point I have been quite impressed at my resiliency to not set my credit card on fire.

I'll begin tonight's story by saying that these events provided some great father/son time, but I'll also apologize to my dad here for losing my patience on a few occasions. ::) He's got the "let's just do it" attitude and I've got the "let's just research it first"; so we clash...

Tappet adjustments: All I need to say is read the manual, read the manual, read the freaking manual. We jumped right in and were immediately humbled by the, "how do the damn feeler gauges fit!?" question. Immediately following was trying to make sense of "line up timing mark to T (1-4), make X adjustments, rotate 360˚ back to T (1-4) and make O adjustments". In our heads, we are thinking that this rotation has us adjusting the same tappets but in reality it is just not so. One hour and one walk-away later Mr. Research finds http://www.hondahobby.no/ and it explains perfectly how certain arms will have play while others are seated at the given timing mark (do the 360˚ rotation and indeed the once seated arms are now ready for action). Fifteen minutes later and all eight are set 8) .

Spark Plugs: Denso replaces the stock NGK's. Easy enough job, but I will be (temporarily) repurposing the NGK's in the '78 project as they were in really nice shape.

Oil Change: Castrol 4T 20W50 Motorcycle oil with Honda OEM filter. I just bought some other test oils; Rotella 15W40 and Mobil Delvac 15W40. For now the Castrol will do, but I am kind of itching to try the Rotella based on reviews.

Points: A bit of carbon build-up, but nothing a touch of 400 grit couldn't handle. Gaps were good and timing looked to be as spot on as possible without a timing light setup. This was also the moment my father took some enjoyment in showing me how points, condensors and advancers work together as the ignition system.

Oil Pump O-rings: A ten minute job turned into an hour due to one buggered up, galled fastener. The PO went in there at some point and replaced the JIS with hardened steel allen heads, one of which stuck to the pump surface. Two cheap-o drill bits helped sever the screw head releasing the pump. Thanks to HondaMan, I replaced the three o-rings at the case connection as the existing were pretty flattened and shrunken. Everything went back together with new fasteners from Ace (the helpful place) and a touch of zinc anti-sieze.

UPDATE: Unfortunately it looks like I still might have a leak; smaller but still dripping. I'll get you one day you son of a b*&$h!!

Front Brakes: I say, "Dad, I'm tired, frustrated and not in the mood to touch the brakes. I'm not at the red line and while there is a squeak when riding, the braking power is fine." He says, " Alex it will take a few minutes to swap out the pads, let's just do it!" How long!? Oh really just a few minutes? :o Sure we swapped out the pads in a few minutes, but they rubbed so badly that my wheel was frozen in place. So came adjustment time and nothing worked. Not the damn adjuster screw/spring thing...nothing! Mr. Just-Do-It kept pushing the pad in toward the piston until it was stuck there too, so a screw driver to the new pad and it was out (only later did I read about removal via brake fluid pressure). Nevertheless we found the little white plastic washer seated off-center, creating the terrible fitment. Now I've got one old pad and one new, but after some fun bleeding brakes (see: shooting fluid to the ceiling) the 550 stops on a quarter (needs more refinement to be a dime).

HM Ignition: See photos for placement of the unit, but it is basically to the front of the battery box zip-tied below the rubber grommet that holds the tank.

Enough with the novel and onto the stuff you really care about...PICTURES!  ;D

-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline cabrala

• Super Duper
  • Hot Shot
Re: The 550's - A Test of Patience (Ignition Install + Tune-up)
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:20 pm »
Do the head-tilt on the last two pics. Sorry guys but it came up straight on my end and crooked on yours. :-X

Seeing as this thread acts as my working log, or historical container, let me just take a moment here to say that I'm very thankful to have my dad helping out with this work. One year ago this (upcoming) September he was in a bad motorcycle accident and should've been dead; meeting a highway guardrail at 70MPH tends to go that route more often than not. I don't know how and I certainly don't why he made it out with only one shattered foot and a fractured ankle, but he did. That was, without a doubt, the worst day of my life.

It took months before he could walk and it will take years for him to rehabilitate; full-knowing he will never be "normal". With that said, he wants nothing to do with riding right now but he'll sit in the garage and wrench alongside, which means the damn world to me.

Ride safe ladies and gents. For those squeamish, skip this round of attachments. ;D
-Alex

'75 CB750F
'77 CB550K
'78 CB550
'93 FZR600

Offline SF

• Hot Shot
  • I burn gas very well
Re: The 550's - A Test of Patience (Ignition Install + Tune-up)
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »
kool dad. props to you sir and i hope you get back on the bikes.
92 wr250 sold
98 zx6r sold
04 zx10r
73 cb350 twin
75 cb550f
75 cb550f
72 r5c
rgid springer bobber project