Author Topic: Leaking carbs- sort of a radical fix  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Jay B

• Expert
Leaking carbs- sort of a radical fix
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:28:38 am »
I've been having problems with my 350f carbs running gas out of the overflows when filling empty carbs. Whenever the bike sat for a while or I ran it down to reserve, when I turned the gas back on it would dump gas out of the overflows, usually all 4. I've been carrying a long bolt under the seat to tap on the bowls to get them to stop. What was happening was when the floats got low enough, the needle would cock sideways in the seat, not allowing the float to come up. If there was always gas in there they were fine. I've had it apart a couple of times and polished everything up, no change. So I came up with the idea of building a cradle out of stiff wire that only lets the float go down so far. I've got them adjusted so the float will drop about 3/8" and stop. I fastened the wire to the screw that holds the seat retainer to the carb body. I had to grind a little off the float pivot because it contacted the screw head with the wire under there. If anyone tries this, be carefull where you run the wire and test fit the bowls to make sure it doesn't bend the wire up and shut off the needle valve on reassembly. Here's a couple pics. Works great. I ran it out of gas a couple times yesterday, when I turned it back on, no gushers. To make sure I wasn't restricting flow I rode about 4 miles into a 35mph headwind, took near wide open throttle to maintain 65. No starvation. ;D
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline Jay B

• Expert
Re: Leaking carbs- sort of a radical fix
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:56:35 am »
Nothing like that on the 350 carbs. They will fall a long way, then bind. At least that's what mine were doing.
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline OakBehringer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:12:40 pm »
That's pretty clever. Mine do the same thing, I think I'll rig up something like this since I've currently got 'em apart.
1974 350 Four - SOLD
1966 CL160
1981 XS650
1972 CT70

Finished CB350F

HELLS BANANAS

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:00:40 am »
There is a tab on the float arm that contacts the pivot shaft support to prevent that.  Is yours missing or adjusted imprpoerly?