Author Topic: '76 750K: Project Gunfighter  (Read 43946 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: '76 750K: Project Gunfighter
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2012, 10:17:01 am »
Looking good I'm taking it you don't need those heat shields anymore given you have new ones mounted lol.

Hey, if you'll still let me get them from you I'll still take 'em.  I want to prep a set that match the finish on the HM300's, which requires some work actually.  I have to blast them, chrome them, then fill the indents with testors paint...you pour it in, and swish it around to coat where you want...no brushes.

Send me a PM with your paypal.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10:10 pm »
I've been quietly putting some miles on this bike, well not so quietly with the HM300's :P while bringing this motor back to work.  I've brought it up to redline a few times, and so far it just sounds mean.  I love the torque over the 500 motor. 

A few tough looking dudes rolled up to me at a stoplight on Harley's.  The frontrunner of the group pulls up real close before the light turns green, looks me and the bike up and down like he's sizing me up, and after a brief pause says: 'I like it.'   8)

I cleaned up some fender parts to mix and match.  I got the closest combo to what I was looking for, which was a small, early style taillight without buying an expensive fender.  It's a CB500 lamp on a '76K rear fender.  The lamp didn't match the outline of the license plate bracket exactly, so there's an overlap, but you have to look close and know what you're looking at to tell it's wrong.  I can live with it on a bike as mismatched as this one.

Started with this.

And after a few minutes of steel wool and tinkering...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:12:57 pm by Greggo »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
Just as an FYI.  The 3 mounting holes for the tail light would indicate it is either a late K0 (early K0 only had 2 holes) or a K1 fender. K2 and later had 4 holes, spaced far apart.

The 2hole/3hole fenders were shorter, (at least the 2 holes were) which i think looks better. I did the same to mine, shorter fender, smaller tail light.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2012, 12:23:07 pm »
Just as an FYI.  The 3 mounting holes for the tail light would indicate it is either a late K0 (early K0 only had 2 holes) or a K1 fender. K2 and later had 4 holes, spaced far apart.

The 2hole/3hole fenders were shorter, (at least the 2 holes were) which i think looks better. I did the same to mine, shorter fender, smaller tail light.

Here's the bottom.  So, this is an early fender?  Your bike looks great MC, I really like it.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »
Thanks for the props! (Its nom for BOTM if you get a chance. Course you might like one of the other noms better)

definitely an early fender, the 3 point mount gives it away. All CB750 from K2 and later had the big honker taillight with the 4 point mounting bracket, 2 at about where the original 2 were though spaced wider, and 2 closer to the seat.

The very early K0 had a 2 point mount, but the assy would flop around so the 3rd point was added and kept thru K1.  I think it was added late in the K0 run, but they may have waited for K1. Have to check the VIN # on a fish.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »
MC, I tried to install the rear fender, but if you look at the pic below, you can see that this fender has studs, where as the fender on the bike now has nuts welded in, and you drop bolts down through the frame to attach the fender.  I can't find a fender like it, with the mounting studs and the small taillight mounting holes.  Any idea what it's from?  It slipped right into the 750's frame, so it was the right width.  But, the mounting studs sit on what seems to be an added inch of fender.  The studs aren't tall enough to thread a nut over the frame, but when I mount it up in those holes, the blinker holes don't match the frame...I'm thinking of chopping off the extra inch of fender with the studs, drilling through the guide holes Honda never drilled, and using nuts and bolts to mount it...opinions?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »
Wow! I completely missed that. I have no idea. Chop chop.
Ride Safe:
Ron