Author Topic: Any cb400f owners out there?  (Read 634 times)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
Any cb400f owners out there?
« on: July 28, 2021, 02:48:42 pm »
If so could you do me a favor and pull the lid of your air box under the seat and take a close up pic top and bottom of the lid for me? I'm putting together a 75 cb400f and the air box on mine is missing that lid and a spring #14 and #3 in the parts fiche link. Not sure yet how I'm going to substitute that spring but my son may be able to 3d print me another lid, I just want him to have a general idea of what it should look like. Thanks in advance.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-super-sport-400-four-1975-cb400fk0-usa_model444/partslist/F++08.html
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
Re: Any cb400f owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 03:41:07 pm »
Both parts are easy to make yourself, at least I did. I bent the spring out of a piece of stainless wire after the pic in the manual, and the cover out of a sheet of thin copper, I think thin alu will work fine too., it's a simple rectangular cover, like from a cookie jar :) just use the measurements from the filter housing top.
It's the middle of the night here now, I'm not running to the shed to make pics, or measure.....
A light spray of black paint and noone will see it's homemade, and it'll never break! (The original does break, it's just thin plastic)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 06:42:48 am »
Went to visit our son yesterday and while my wife and I were busy playing with our 3 year old granddaughter, I had taken the airbox along with me so my son could measure it and my son came up with this. It's just a test piece for now to make sure there wont be any fitment issues because he wants to make the final piece out of ABS and he wants to make the channels underneath that conform to the shape of the box deeper as well. The Honda logo didn't come out perfect but still looks cool and good enough for me. Not bad for a 3d printer he put together himself and uses open source programming. I just need to get a decent picture of the spring to see if I can make my own plus get the airbox cleaned up, sandblasted and painted.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 08:46:26 am »
 I made the flat lid out of the spacer that came with an agm battery.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 10:33:08 am »
I made mine out of thin gauge aluminum.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1