Author Topic: Salt Racer CB 750 OZ style  (Read 165919 times)

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: Salt Racer CB 750 OZ style
« Reply #1375 on: August 25, 2020, 01:16:39 am »
Sufferin catfish That clutch cover looks Horney, sexy, it turns me on, orgasmic in fact.  ;D ;D ;D
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline 01Thomas

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1376 on: September 09, 2020, 09:30:54 am »
Hi Johno
Is your performance book available to the rest of mankind?

weather is a bit how ya going so I thought I would put all my racing build notes and info together in one book with an index. Im not sure why but my manual has ended up 4 times thicker than the original bible  :o
1971 Honda CB750 Four K1 [Engine: CB750E-1113521 / Frame: CB750-1113838]
1977 Seeley Honda CB750F (F1) [Engine: CB750E-2551214 / Frame No: SH7-655F]

'96 Yamaha YZF750SP & '81 Moto Guzzi SP1000 & '80 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans II & '82 Bimota KB-3 [Frame No 49] & '66 Ducati 50 SL/1 & '53 Miele K-50 & '38 Miele 98

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1377 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:00 am »
Hi Tommo,
Nothing exotic in the notes, lots of brochures, instruction booklets from manufacturers, articles from mags etc.
Notes on engine building stuff, frame stuff like technical drawings for swing arms, frame, engine mounts etc
Frame stuff like weights for balance, drawings showing how much 1 degree of rake makes to wheelbase, how much trail changes with 1" lowering or raising of the forks, that kind of stuff.
The folder I showed in the thread is just a small part of the knowledge used to build the salt bike.
There is lots of folders, books and info on PLC in addition to the fat summary folder,
Seperate folders for the most complex subjects, like camshafts, head design, exhausts, chassis mods etc.
I would encourage anyone on the journey to keep notes and make your own geometry drawings, engine calculations etc gives you a better feel for moving forward.
My favourite saying is if you want to be the best you just have to work harder and smarter than the next guy, not always easy Id say  ;D
Ill post some examples of my notes.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1378 on: September 13, 2020, 04:47:13 am »
Like this.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1379 on: September 13, 2020, 04:51:14 am »
and these.
So nothing that is not been posted on the forum other than a few mods specific to the salt bike. :D

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1380 on: September 13, 2020, 11:14:13 am »
...so cool!  I have had to start keeping log books for my bikes.  Mainly, due to having too many bikes, it gets confusing knowing what has been done to which, etc.  If you were ever to pass that project on to another, your notes and info would be priceless.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #1381 on: September 13, 2020, 03:40:31 pm »
Impressive Johno.
That is the difference between an engineer like yourself and a dumbass racer.
I fit into the later category unfortunately. ???
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1382 on: September 13, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »
hehehe I hear what your saying Bear, my take on that is the fastest racers are fearless dumbasses looked after by hi tech engineers  ;D ;D ;D

Sean , what a good idea to have log books on modified bikes, your right about when selling, people like me forget half the stuff Ive done  :o  would talk up the value and show some pride in the beast. ;D

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1383 on: February 07, 2021, 08:27:49 pm »
So just because the HP forum is so quiet I am posting a pic of the paint detailing I done today on the circuit engine covers. I done them free hand which was a challenge for me as I have bad shakes, great for tigging but bad for painting.  ;D
It took two goes on the charging cover, had to rebuff and bead the whole cover and start again, had a slug of Grappa to slow the shakes the second time.
Re the salt this year / next month I won't be going unfortunately, the bike is pretty much all ready just that life is complicated at the moment. The speed week was cancelled last year as they were unable to get two doctors required, due to Covid and the covid restrictions made it too hard. Next month they are still planning to run the meet under the restrictions imposed by the gov. and I think they reached the minimum entries to make it viable last week at about 120 entries, about 200 down from normal. We have also had a really wet month with about 5 inches of rain up north so that might upset the apple cart at this stage but I haven't read the lake updates in the last few days since the rain.
Is dicking around on the circuit bike is all Im doing.  Feeling sorry for you US folks, between the covid, elections and freezing temps things are quiet in the garages :(
Cheers all Johno

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #1384 on: February 07, 2021, 09:24:45 pm »
Looking good Johno.

👍

George

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1385 on: February 08, 2021, 12:22:22 am »
Impressive Johno.
That is the difference between an engineer like yourself and a dumbass racer.
I fit into the later category unfortunately. ???
...............what Bear said
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #1386 on: February 08, 2021, 11:12:28 am »
 I think the bike needs more yellow Johno. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1387 on: February 08, 2021, 02:48:45 pm »
Mike:  I would but I run out of covers  ;D.     

Pete:  Nice to see your still sniffing around the forum.    This is a firm offer ! The salt bike is always ready and waiting for you to ride. If you get the need to regain your youth or confidence a fast trip down the salt will get you going.  ;D. It takes some planning but give me a buzz if you want a ride, remember salt preserves food so imagine what it will do for you.  ;)

Cheers Johno

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1388 on: February 08, 2021, 04:03:23 pm »
 yea yea, on here often Johno , jus not much to report , busy with other projects ,  so your planning on going nex year ? sounds good Johno , think i need some salt to preserve these aging bones

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1389 on: February 08, 2021, 10:01:35 pm »
Hows the big flat four drag bike Pete, have you had a chance to fire it up yet ?

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1390 on: February 10, 2021, 05:06:56 pm »
 no not yet Johno , still making bits for it