Author Topic: Salt Racer CB 750 OZ style  (Read 165932 times)

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: Salt Racer CB 750 OZ style
« Reply #1350 on: July 18, 2020, 03:18:38 am »
So today I fixed up a mistake I made with last rebuild on Mellow Yellow.
When I installed the new rubbers in the hub somehow apiece of swarf found its way into the roller bearing and when I stitched up the bottom cases it sounded like a gear tooth was broken or binding and I had just changed 5th gear to tighten up the ratios so I reopened the case to find the hub bearing was making the noise.
I tried to punch out the rollers but they just broke up. I checked NTN bearing web site they saids done use a notch as the outer races are extremely brittle ( as I found out)
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1351 on: July 18, 2020, 03:20:13 am »
so next I bought a adjustable inner bearing tool to press out the bearings, puuuurrrrfect

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1352 on: July 18, 2020, 03:21:52 am »
pressed out OK , jobs done.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1353 on: July 18, 2020, 03:24:53 am »
painted the cases on the rat Honda, possibly use for circuit if someone is up to not.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1354 on: July 18, 2020, 03:28:35 am »
Both engines to tidy up now.
Mellow yellow to replace the primary drive hub I just renewed the bearings, new piston etc.
The Yellow rat circuit bike, budget big bore.

Covid therapy

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1355 on: July 18, 2020, 03:34:50 am »
So this is the yellow rat circuit bike, likely will be a budget big bore with lightened crank, rod bolts, cam chain and slider guides, average head job ( like my sex life) cam etc

The frame has been braced in a couple of places , double thickness stainless engine mounts, wheels etc

My signature yellow paint  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #1356 on: July 18, 2020, 06:35:14 am »
Looking good johno....keep on it. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #1357 on: July 18, 2020, 06:54:19 am »
So this is the yellow rat circuit bike, likely will be a budget big bore with lightened crank, rod bolts, cam chain and slider guides, average head job ( like my sex life) cam etc

The frame has been braced in a couple of places , double thickness stainless engine mounts, wheels etc

Johno,Your sex life will improve with a proper head job.

CALLING M RIECK. hahaha.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #1358 on: July 18, 2020, 06:03:45 pm »

Let me know what your chasing for the road racer mate.
I have a container of #$%* doing bugger all at the moment.
Fancy a Bill White crank? I have a couple that need a home. ;D
Hy-Vo maybe? ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:07:04 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #1359 on: July 19, 2020, 01:10:54 am »
Have you caught up with the latest news?

https://www.dlra.org.au/newsletter/dlranews69.pdf
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1360 on: July 19, 2020, 07:59:12 pm »
Cheers Bear, Yeh u would think even at my snails pace 6 months prep time should be enough.
This year turned to #$%*e on two accounts, first the week before the meeting it poured and flooded the track and the same day Covid restrictions smashed the meet , so either way it wasn't a happening thing.

I felt sorry for the east coasters and US folks who had planned to race, everything cancelled etc.

They delayed the meeting until end of March as the previous 3 years were first week of Feb but the 45 c deg heat is just unbearable so they rolled the dice to late march which is often thunderstorm month and sure enough it was.

The positive thing is the 2020 merchandise shop is discounting  ;D

cheers Johno

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1361 on: August 16, 2020, 10:07:24 pm »
weather is a bit how ya going so I thought I would put all my racing build notes and info together in one book with an index. Im not sure why but my manual has ended up 4 times thicker than the original bible  :o

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1362 on: August 16, 2020, 10:12:43 pm »
spent the last couple of days putting the front end on, new tapered bearings, kit in forks and seals etc, will run with original twin brakes for nostalgia sake and I'm not riding so won't matter  :o.  If rider complains about brakes Ill just say get thicker soles on ya boots mate.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1363 on: August 16, 2020, 10:19:23 pm »
Ive just got back from taking a break from weather and covid etc, I went prospecting out in the desert for 3 weeks, didn't really know what I was doing but an old digger took pity on me and showed me a thing or two.
I found it hard work wandering around the bush all day like some zombi, BUT I had bit of luck and found these few nuggets, about $2,000. worth for 3 weeks work.  That will do nicely in the racing kitty thank but the real bonus is cos I wasn't snacking all day I lost 5kg or 10 lbs  ::) ;D

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #1364 on: August 17, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
Life is usually more interesting when you get off the sofa...........did you stake a claim? So tell me what you think would happen if one were to drill the CB750 rockers at the pins, insert a lump of brass, and drill a new hole 1mm closer to the cam-pads. I'm thinking it would increase the valve-lift (how much?) but would require over-sized lash-caps with final adjustment left to either shimming or skimming the bottom of the cam-towers.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #1365 on: August 17, 2020, 02:05:39 pm »
Johno, don't let him be a bad influence on you!!  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1366 on: August 17, 2020, 05:50:56 pm »
HI DENNIS,
I thought you were on holiday ? I suppose race bikes are like pets, they drive you nuts when your working on them all day but when their not around you miss them.

Im not sure what the thread was but there was a thread on cams that I latched onto with some trials, experiments etc on, cam design, geometry etc and no matter what happens the valve angle makes things ugly.
 To achieve more than what's offered in the market today No matter which way you go in cam design, symmetrical, asymmetrical, polodyne etc the valves hit, and the geometry of both the rocker pad and adjustment end ensures cam grinders are at the limit with the design, The only way forward is to make new cam mounts,  open valve angle up etc
Ive got an experimental head and a cam with several grinds on same cam that I played with, was fun but went nowhere unless I committed to valve changes, cam mount and roller rockers.
Its a long journey Dennis,  ;D

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #1367 on: August 18, 2020, 01:32:16 pm »
Holiday..........almost everyday........but race-day ;)

So while I have the time for 'free-thinking' about a few things..........I put some light-weight springs on some valves and hand-cranked a motor to 'watch' the valve-train in action. By moving the pivot-point closer to the cam, the valve would open significantly more but the cam would have to be re-timed to get best opening/closing points. My valves get close to each other on the overlap, but near mid-point of movement. Slightly retarding the cam would help, not enough to be 'safe' with 35 & 31 mm valves......possibly reducing exhaust to 29 would be best in a K-head versus my current F2 head.......and a corresponding cam versus my current special grind.
Dennis in Wisconsin
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #1368 on: August 18, 2020, 03:21:56 pm »
Just so happens I have a set of Kibblewhite 28.5 exhausts to go along with the 33.5 intakes just sitting on the shelf
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1369 on: August 19, 2020, 04:53:35 am »
Well Den I spent nearly an hour selecting and download some pics to show the journey I went on for a good SOHC top end BUT when I hit the submit button all went pear shape and nothing came through so after a cup of coffee Ill just briefly type what I done and you'll get the drift.

I selected 4 cam profiles based on a valve spring pressure of 100lbs seated 200 or so on nose.
Had a cam grinder weld and grind all 4 profiles on the same cam.
I then on a lathe dialled up all 4 cam profiles for a lift curve in lift per degree of rotation to check the profiles style and characteristics.
To fit the cam in I had to mill away the cam bearing and mill out the head top until fresh air under the cam.
Got the cam in and of course the valves hit badly in overlap as the included angle is too great ,  need to open the valve angle to avoid valve interference.
I took pics of the geometry profile ie the rocker cam pad was too short and was edging on the lobe, with extra lift the adjusters were edging badly on top of the valve very badly, tried an adjuster from a Yammy I had that had a more ball tip rather than the flattish curve of Honda looked better but not suitable for 10,000 to 12,000 RPM.
Had a good look overall at geometry and got my son to draw it up in CAD then on computer opened up the valve angle, raised the cam, changed the cam support bearing to allow an automotive roller rocker with different ratio that would allow any cam lobe acceleration rate suitable for what ever spring tension can be installed.     Easy peasy, made a plan, I bought the aluminium billets for the cam support bearings but lost interest , mainly as I can do lathe work but not that good on the mill and It was hard for me to access a lathe & mill.  I wish I was a retired machinist with all the gear in the shed, with my son a wiz in CAD and 3D the world would be my oyster, After I realised what could be done to improve the SOHC I realised that in fact some people had done this all in the late 70,s, Evan Ken @ cycle X has done the valve guide relocation etc so it all became a bit boring. :o ::)

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1370 on: August 19, 2020, 05:08:36 am »
PS Den
Forgot to say my initial goal was to take advantage of Mikes very special head, with a high flow at .500" lift and Evan more exceptional flow at .100" to .200 " I needed a profile and rocker ratio for .500" lift and a very rapid lobe accelleration rate to capitalise on the big flow rate at low lifts.
Might be best for me not to discuss it Dennis or Ill get all fired up again, especially with this covid crap boring the hell out of me  ;D

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #1371 on: August 19, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »
Thanks, Johno.............................Whenever we stop for a few weeks at our daughter's home, I keep busy trying to finish a Honda 305 Scrambler restoration, as well as taking day-trips on the local gravel roads with my new Royal Enfield Himalayan. The cam-thoughts are directed toward a potential 'big-bore' motor, so plenty of valve-room in a modified chamber........may include a degree or two of valve-guide movement and sure to have a proper 'squish-band'. One advantage I found is to use wide lobe-centers. Its somewhat rewarding to listen and learn...then do your own thing and see if works ;)  Several respected CB750 voices told me my CBR motor would not flow......now there is a shortage of RS34s ;D ;D ;D

I am not looking for more than 0.450" of lift.......duration and very steep valve-edges tend to maximize cylinder-fill when no restrictions exist for air-intake at the carbs......Don't get too excited ;)..........I'm just playing for now :) :) :)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1372 on: August 22, 2020, 09:34:22 pm »
Today is painting day, doing the covers, good etch primer and good epoxy YELLOW.  ;D
Thought I would leave the clutch cover chrome cover off , paint the outer of cover yellow, paint the centre black and the lever arm yellow for some contrast.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1373 on: August 22, 2020, 10:33:46 pm »

Thought I would leave the clutch cover chrome cover off
The chrome clutch cover is dead weight, IMHO. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #1374 on: August 23, 2020, 01:46:20 am »
Thats the best photo Ive seen your bike Scottly, Nice  8)