Author Topic: Gasket SERIOUSLY stuck  (Read 7700 times)

Offline NewOldSchool

• Apprentice
  • Hot Shot
Gasket SERIOUSLY stuck
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:03:38 pm »
In the last two weeks I have removed the head and cylinder block from my 1974 CB750 engine.

The head has now been completely disassembled so that I can clean it and rebuild it. When taking the gasket off it had stuck to the head and was like brittle plastic. I have peeled it off and scrapped with a razor blade the best I can, but some gasket material remains like its welded to the head.

How can I get this material off??? Can I uses a fine grit sand paper like 600 or something?
Not putting miles on your bike is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Gasket SERIOUSLY stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:08:48 pm »
Snap-On gasket scraper.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »
In the last two weeks I have removed the head and cylinder block from my 1974 CB750 engine.

The head has now been completely disassembled so that I can clean it and rebuild it. When taking the gasket off it had stuck to the head and was like brittle plastic. I have peeled it off and scrapped with a razor blade the best I can, but some gasket material remains like its welded to the head.

How can I get this material off??? Can I uses a fine grit sand paper like 600 or something?

Soak it with solvent. Scrape scrape scrape  :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline NewOldSchool

• Apprentice
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:47:38 pm »
The head is also seriously mucky with oil and grease and dirt outside from the leaky head gasket, as well as lots of carbon in the combustion chambers and exhaust ports.

Can I use Simple Green as long as I wash it off extremely well? Aside from media blasting (I don't want to have to repaint the head its in fairly good condition) do you have any other tips?
Not putting miles on your bike is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »
Use some foaming engine cleaner and some stiff nylon brushes and a brass brush.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Rob69

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:31 pm »

You can try gasket softener compounds, but I've never had much success with them. I've found that patience and countless hours of careful scraping is the best way. I wouldn't sand or be tempted to use a die grinder with any of the 3M attachments that many recommend for gasket removal.  You will damage the aluminum mating surface(s). Very expensive to have repaired at a machine shop (if at all). I learned the hard way.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:14:58 pm by Rob69 »

Offline NewOldSchool

• Apprentice
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »
Thanks, I tried the smallest gauge (softest?) wire wheel attachment on a power drill at medium speed and pressure and it just polished the area a bit. I quit almost immediately and will go buy a scraper. 

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »
This may be of some help to you. I did a google search on removing gaskets and a few Honda and Kawi forums showed up. Here is a video that looks pretty good.

Honda-Tech: How to Remove tough gaskets
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline NewOldSchool

• Apprentice
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:29:00 pm »
Thanks all!

Offline Harsh

• Expert
  • 74 CB750 and two 72 CB350's
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
Mine was the same way.  I used some gasket remover stuff from the auto parts store.  It softened it a bit, but it took a number of applications, a fair amount of elbow grease, and a lot of patience.

What are you going to do for replacement gaskets?  You might want to check Honda Service Bulletin #42  http://data.sohc4.net/SB750/750_42.pdf
It might just be my kit, but so far I am missing 4 o-rings from my Cycle-X complete kit.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »
Hondaman suggested I use permatex foaming gasket remover.  Put it on and let soak overnight.  It really helped things out.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/424-567?utm_source=none&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&gclid=COOPsIPAn7ECFYFo4Aod2n-UYw

Offline Rob69

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:49 pm »
This may be of some help to you. I did a google search on removing gaskets and a few Honda and Kawi forums showed up. Here is a video that looks pretty good.

Honda-Tech: How to Remove tough gaskets
I'd be very cautious. We used that technique when I worked at a dealership (time is money). The shown method works, but you have to have be very light-handed. It's not hard to irreversibly mar an aluminum surface. If time isn't an issue, I'd err on the side of caution and use a gasket scraper, followed up by dressing any imperfections and cleaning residual baked-in gasket material with a very fine stone and some lubricant.

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:17:46 pm »
Those roloc bristle disks look promising, but still might be kinda rough. Green is 50 grit equivalent, yellow is 80, and white is 120.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Roloc-Bristle-Disc.html
1977 CB550F

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:19 pm »
sharp gasket scraper and caution,hold it squarely,the unwitting will hover too long in one spot with a power tool,not such a problem with cast iron though,use the power tool for the left over problem spots.

Offline NewOldSchool

• Apprentice
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »
I bought a scraper from O'Riley and the damn thing isn't flat! I makes gouges on one corner. I'm going to return it and get a brand name one from Sears or somewhere reputable.

I was able to get the head really clean with a brass wire brush and half a bottle of Simple Green (I rinsed the head off for nearly 30 min after to make sure there was no residue left over. That got all the gasket material off and the face of the head very clean.

I then took a very small screwdriver and lightly chipped all the stubborn carbon away from around the valve pockets, being very careful around the valve seats. After that I dried it off extremely well and put a film of motor oil on all the seats.

Now I have to clean the jugs in the same manner and take them over to Valley Cycles to get freshly honed.

Offline saxamaphone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 02:11:42 pm »
Hi all, I'm having a similar issue to many here.  I took the head and cylinders off in order to replace rings but getting the gaskets off is holding me up big time.  I'm embarrassed to bring up an old thread like this but I've been trying various brands of gasket remover (they did nothing), razors blades and plastic scrapers but they're not doing anything.  The razors at a 90ยบ don't really take anything off and when I try to go flat along the surface I inevitably scratch up the surface.  I'm at a bit of a loss.  Here's what I'm working on:

Then the base gasket that's also rock hard (I took what I had stuffed in the holes out for the photo):

I don't want to go the route of power tools but I was wondering if anyone has run into remnants of gaskets that were seemingly impossible to get off and how they eventually got it off.  Once I get most of it off I'm planning on scrubbing with SOS pads or scotch-brite and mineral spirits.
1975 CB550K1, 1973 CB450K6

fendersrule

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »
I've used a very "fine" wire wheel (soft) and was able to easily get it off that way.

But for a larger area that you have, the above recommendations seem good. Tray spraying some aircraft paint remover and letting it soak. Still probably have to scrape, but it helps soften it.

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 02:32:55 pm »
Grind the end of a broken hacksaw blade to a single knife edge, makes a good scraper that you can use nice and flat. Other than that it's patience, patience, patience. Some good music and a few beers help. Don't be tempted to go the power tool route, you'll only fcuk it up.
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »
Take it to a machine shop. Have them hot tank it, remove the stuck on gasket, and maybe even deck it :P

I did when I got tired of spending hours scraping off (and gouging) the gasket off the top case.

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 05:21:08 am »
Straight edged razor blade

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 05:40:01 am »
You can get ScotchBrite discs to attach to your drill and use them dry or in conjunction with solvents. Either way, they're soft enough to not damage the metal yet have enough grit to bite while spinning rapidly.

The other tool I used on my head was a paint remover wheel. It's plastic material, like a flapper wheel. It'll strip paint to bare metal, but won't scar the metal. Electric drill, not battery operated. Or a compressor driven grinder with these attachments.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:47 am »
Acetone + ATF is pretty popular.

I've had great luck with just wetting 1000grit sanding paper on a block with acetone itself and gently scraping off the most stubborn bits. But not everybody seems to think sanding even with that fine a grit is smart.

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:41 am »
The answer is simple and its the same answer when one asks "whats the easiest way to get carbs on"

And the answer is.... drum roll please.... Have someone else do it!

Kidding. There's a million good ideas here and they all work for the individual user. Choose your poison and move slowly. Put on some good music and grab at least a 12 pack.

good luck!
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline saxamaphone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 04:19:25 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I'll keep going on it with a razor I think.  I'll try and soften it as well with some acetone.

1975 CB550K1, 1973 CB450K6

Offline kyre

• Hot Shot
    • CB400F / 466 Build Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 04:50:27 pm »
I had the same issue as you. No amount of chemicals would "soften" the gasket. Razor blade only took off so much and there were areas where it was hard to get to, also slooooow.  I tried the gasket scraper but it's a bad idea. Too easy to slip and gouge the very soft aluminum.

I have a dremel And ended up getting the "finishing abrasive buffs" attachment and the gasket came off so easy. Of course you should have a light touch (as soon as you see metal slow down) but it's a soft material and doesn't really mar the aluminum if you do end up being a little heavy handed.

CB400F / 466 Build Thread (currently in progress)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105027.0