Author Topic: Needle clip setting  (Read 743 times)

Offline Dinola

Needle clip setting
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »
Rebuilding all carbs on this 1976 CB550 Four , with rebuild kits and several soak and clean cycles. Ready to reassemble.
I have found no specification anywhere for clip placement, but the specs I found via this forum suggest that there are only 4 total clip positions 
All of the existing needle clips are set in the 4th groove down from the top of the needle (the blunt end) But there is one more groove below for a total of 5.  The replacement kit has the same 5 grooves,  came with 38/100 jets, which matches the existing jets but the needle is a bit thicker (.051mm old vs. .058mm new, at the tip just at the start of the final bevel).  The original jets were marked 272304 and there is no marking on the replacements gotten on Ebay.

So I take it that the existing jets were set one groove to the 'rich' side of the middle, the 5th groove being richest? If so, not a bad place to be, I suppose, I certainly don't want to be lean.  However, I'm really unclear of where to go with this new needle, since its thicker, and I'm confused about the 5th groove.  Is the 4th groove the bottom, the richest ? or is there the 5th groove considered a usable groove, making 4 NOT the richest setting?  If so .. I'd go to 4 , as was the original.   However, if 5 is not considered a usable position,,, I'm considering setting up at groove #3. 
The point is, i don't think i should be going to the richest, so does the 5th groove count?

The bike is otherwise stock.
Any knowledge is welcome!

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Needle clip setting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »
The needle should have 5 grooves. Does it???

Offline Dinola

Re: Needle clip setting
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »
Yeah, yes. it has five... but see this link, gotten at our forum, that indicates the needle should have 4.. one of the sources of my confusion:
http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/cb500550carbidandspecs/
its a 1976.

the thicker new needle has me a bit confused too - but you are expecting 5 grooves, the old has 5, new has 5, at any thickness i would guess the 4th groove to be NOT the most rich, just shy of the most rich,  so a good place to start?