Author Topic: Best rattle can brand?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
Best rattle can brand?
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »
I need a high heat paint for my exhaust and have read positive and negative reviews for any paint I search. So sohc4 what do you guys recommend? (also a paint to use on my engine)

Also whats a good brand just as a plain spray paint brand to have around for other odds and ends. I would like to stick with one brand once I start so colors match in the future.

Thanks all

Offline harisuluv

• Master
Re: Best rattle can brand?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:38:23 am »
Duplicolor.

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:44:00 am »
Duplicolor.

for everything? for some reason the guy at the autoparts store didnt suggest it but he didnt seem to know to much in the way of paints.

Offline brewsky

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:24:29 am »
I have used this for both exhaust and other parts.

Needs to be heat cured for gas resistance, but exhaust will do that for you.
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Offline Chachi

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:04:02 am »
73 CB750 K3
72 CB500 K1 - Sold
75 MR50 Elsinore K1

Offline aperry

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:50 am »
I have used VHT Header Paint on the headers.  So far so good, but I haven't gone more than about 2 miles on my bike yet, so maybe not a reliable recommendation yet.  I am not sure if they offer anything other than flat black for this particular paint.

I used Duplicolor high-temp engine enamel for my engine.  While others seem to have had great success with this, I've found that it chips pretty easily.  However, this could have to do with my prep.  For example, I used a soda blaster on the engine, and I've since learned of adhesion issues that can occur if you paint after soda blasting.   

One recommendation would be to paint the engine in aluminum color.  I am now realizing why so many people (and the factory) did this.  Chips/scratches/etc are far less noticeable.  I painted in a dark gray/green and they're very noticeable.

Btw, I believe Duplicolor owns VHT.

You could also look at POR's offerings.  Some of their paints have excellent self-leveling characteristics so you can even brush them on, and they're thick and tough.

Aaron
CB750K3 with F1 frame/swingarm

Offline Elan

• Expert
    • Vital Motor Parts
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 08:31:26 am »
  I wrote VHT but then took it back haha. thats what I used on my crankcase because it was supposed to hold up great, to even gas. well it hadnt. But I wouldnt expect any spray paint to. Now I did use the vht on the headlight bucket and it it still mint after a year with all this cables rubbing it!
Anything you can powdercoat, do it.  spray painting isnt free by any means, and the cost difference is worth it.

For the headers I used some rustoleum bbq paint matte black from home depot or lowes. Has held up great after 200 miles.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:37:20 am by Elan »
Oil Pump Kits are Available on eBay!See my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/Vital-Motor-Parts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

k6 build   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=79833.0

76 750k

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:44:26 am »
Rusto has the gusto, I've been using rustoleum products for years on lots of things. Love the stuff, for the headers any high heat will probably work well.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline lostmykeys

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:43 am »
take a look at my 78 f3 in the gallery.
 Thats a rustoleum paint jop I did myself with red and silver and flat black high temp on the header.I spent about 4 hours wet sanding and then buffed it out with cleaner wax.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:29 am »
Duplicolor.

for everything? for some reason the guy at the autoparts store didnt suggest it but he didnt seem to know to much in the way of paints.

Of course the auto parts clerk knows nothing about paints.
They get no training of any kind about that.
They just order paint from the place that will give them the best deal.