Author Topic: Loosen Stuck Carb Sliders  (Read 3211 times)

Offline nhg2112

• CB500F Build Blog
Loosen Stuck Carb Sliders
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:53 am »
Last night I stumbled upon a great trick for releasing stuck carb sliders:

With the carb apart (float, jets, etc removed) I shot some PB Blaster down around the stuck slide from both the intake and filter side of the carb. Next I took a propane torch and applied a little heat to the outside of the carb on each side - heating up the body around where the slider was stuck. It really didnt take much heat - maybe 10-15 seconds per side - and the sliders came right out. You could probably get the same effect with a heat gun, if I had to guess I'd say I got them up to around 130-150 degrees before they loosened up.

I had three stuck sliders that wouldnt budge and this got all three of them loose no problem.

Hope this helps!

Offline RHCP

Re: Loosen Stuck Carb Sliders
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:39:30 am »
I just removed my slides that I thought were going to be impossible. Your definitely right about the heat, but I used a trick posted elsewhere on the forum. Fill the sink up with the hottest water your tap can put out, drop the carb in there for 1-5 minutes, and the slides pop right out. No torch needed. Or if they are real stuck, you may need to boil up some water. I didn't have high hopes for this method, but the carb bodies expand really quickly with the heat from the water fully surrounding them, thereby releasing the slides.