Author Topic: Noisy engine while idling  (Read 1159 times)

Offline xnoahx

• Enthusiast
  • 78 750K
Noisy engine while idling
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »
The engine on my 750 k8 seems very noisy while idling.  If I pull in the clutch the noise goes away.  When I ride the bike the clutch doesnt feel like its dragging or anything.  Just trying to see if this is normal behavior or if there is something I should look at.  I have adjusted my clutch under the cover just to be sure it was where it needs to be.  I also performed the cam chain adjustment as described in the manual without the engine running.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: Noisy engine while idling
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:36 pm »
Which procedure did you use? Honda or Clymer?
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Noisy engine while idling
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:30 pm »
The post-1975 CB750 has a sensitivity to being poorly tuned that makes the clutch rattle. So, check out the points, plugs, oil type and weight (it should be 20w50, not 10w40 oil), valve lash settings, cam chain tension, and carb sync. All of these things have a tendency to be a little off after the bike has been sitting a long time, which will make the clutch rattle. Especially true is the tendency to make noises if the points are off and the timing is not dead even between the 1-4 and 2-3 points sets. (In other words, it might need a tune up).

If the clutch dual-steel cushion plate has worn rivets, and if the 'slipper' plate in that clutch is also worn, the clutch will still rattle. This latter symptom usually results in clutch slip, though, especially with heavy throttle at higher speeds. So, the symptoms can be separately addressed, without opening up the engine, to determine what might be causing the noise.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com