Author Topic: Steering issue after tapered bearing install  (Read 7613 times)

Offline srbakker

• Spam & Eggs
  • Hot Shot
Re: Steering issue after tapered bearing install
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 05:03:43 pm »
My bearings were assembled like post #243 in this thread. I can't remember which washer I used though.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1516.225

Ditto. 
1975 CB750 K5
2007 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
1971 Kawasaki F7 175 Enduro
2000 Honda VFR800 (gone but not forgotten)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:29 pm »
Killersoundz,  are you sure your top race was seated fully in the frame?  It looks like it was sitting proud of the frame a bit to me.

That is normal with this upgrade. But the special nut that goes on top of that hides the race that is sticking up.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 05:58:47 pm »
Just take the top triple tree off. Then make sure the bottom tree rotates in the bearing without hitting or rubbing anything.
Look for any damage or metal.

Then put the top bearing back on and then the special nut check to see that both trees turn smoothly and nothing rubs. Finally the top nut.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »
How tight did you tighten that special nut? Just tighten it until there is no play and it turns smooth thats all.

Offline mtrdrms

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 06:34:40 pm »
I had no rubbing against the steering stops with the washer above the upper race on the lower bearing.  This was the problem however.  Also, of the two washers supplied in the kit, only one would fit on the bottom of the stem - the thinner one.  It has an I.D. that would fit around the bottom of the stem.  The thicker washer was made to shim the upper bearing which has a smaller I.D..  That being said, I fixed the problem and the bike rides great now.  Feels much lighter than before.  Thanks for all the help.

Andy