Author Topic: Cool Tools.  (Read 9429 times)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Re: Cool Tools.
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2024, 03:58:19 pm »
Last week the boy broke the handle off the Collins axe just below the head. My buddy said to make it into a club for disciplining the boy since he is as big as me and only 15yo. Then I remembered that I have a 100yo H H Co hatchet head I've been dragging around for 40 years.
So I found the hatchet head and derusted it so I could put an edge back on it. Then I cut down the axe handle and spent 4 hours shaping it to fit properly and maintain the edge alignment. I got a really tight fit to the hatchet head.

The slightly curved handle really works well and I achieved a near perfect balance. I have painted the hatchet head and put 2 coats of oil based polyurethane on the handle. After a few more days for the paint to cure it goes out to the woodshed and back to work. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2024, 05:00:12 pm »
My ancient Motion Pro Sync. tool. Cleaned out and reloaded today. I like the way you calibrate it each time. Hook it up to one cylinder (all four columns) and ensure they are all identical, on the day. Very reliable. The only thing you have to watch is NOT to create enough vacuum to suck the fluid out the top.

What did you fill it up with?

I ordered a small squeeze bottle of the stuff from Motion Pro. It came with 4 new “0” rings for the bottom needle valves too. I’ve tried other stuff and nothing else runs up and down the tubes properly.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2024, 05:03:47 pm »
Last week the boy broke the handle off the Collins axe just below the head. My buddy said to make it into a club for disciplining the boy since he is as big as me and only 15yo. Then I remembered that I have a 100yo H H Co hatchet head I've been dragging around for 40 years.
So I found the hatchet head and derusted it so I could put an edge back on it. Then I cut down the axe handle and spent 4 hours shaping it to fit properly and maintain the edge alignment. I got a really tight fit to the hatchet head.

The slightly curved handle really works well and I achieved a near perfect balance. I have painted the hatchet head and put 2 coats of oil based polyurethane on the handle. After a few more days for the paint to cure it goes out to the woodshed and back to work. 8)

Kelly……. Really nice work. There is something so very satisfying about a tool that stands the abuse of generations, and still looks great! I have a set of ball peen hammers that belonged to a friends father and g’father (son is clueless). I had to replace the handle on the small one not long ago, because he drove over it in his driveway. I kept the set and am not returning it!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 12:31:38 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2024, 06:03:51 am »
My ancient Motion Pro Sync. tool. Cleaned out and reloaded today. I like the way you calibrate it each time. Hook it up to one cylinder (all four columns) and ensure they are all identical, on the day. Very reliable. The only thing you have to watch is NOT to create enough vacuum to suck the fluid out the top.

I ordered a small squeeze bottle of the stuff from Motion Pro. It came with 4 new “0” rings for the bottom needle valves too. I’ve tried other stuff and nothing else runs up and down the tubes properly.

By stuff you mean mercury?  Thats what was in the one I have.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2024, 12:30:01 pm »

NO. Mine has an alcohol based liquid. It looks, feels and smells like -40 degree windshield washer fluid. I tried the ww fluid but it bubbled too much. In the end I ordered the Motion Pro refill, #08-0581. Came with some fresh “0” rings for the needle valves and top caps for the long pipes. It’s expensive on EBay but my local bike shop got it for about $10.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2024, 03:59:46 am »

Thank you, I might dig out the old one I have in my shop.

NO. Mine has an alcohol based liquid. It looks, feels and smells like -40 degree windshield washer fluid. I tried the ww fluid but it bubbled too much. In the end I ordered the Motion Pro refill, #08-0581. Came with some fresh “0” rings for the needle valves and top caps for the long pipes. It’s expensive on EBay but my local bike shop got it for about $10.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2024, 11:13:25 am »
i would think there are a lot of laws prohibiting mercury use these days , and for good reason

Online jgger

• Master
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2024, 11:25:20 am »
Simon, you mean you don't want to loose your hair, ALL your teeth and go insane? C'mon, live a little!

Just kidding.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2024, 04:07:24 pm »
 Mine also has an alcohol based liquid. Oh wait, that's my refrigerator. My carb balancer has metal rods in a cylinder.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2024, 11:46:02 pm »
 I was going to snap a pic of my 3/8" drive palm ratchet but it must be in the race trailer already.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2024, 05:44:34 am »
I dog out the sync tool, there is some mercury left.  I guess I have to get it our first.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2024, 08:27:56 am »
Simon, you mean you don't want to loose your hair, ALL your teeth and go insane? C'mon, live a little!

Just kidding.

that all happened without mercury !

Online jgger

• Master
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2024, 08:48:15 am »
Sadly my friend, I can relate.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2024, 02:21:32 pm »
This seems a good idea I spotted somewhere online. On some bikes it's a real pain to refit the wheels, especially the rear, when you've got to lift the wheel up, juggle spacers, chain and brake disc into position then get the spindle through. I saw someone using an air wedge under the wheel to gradually lift it up into position, leaving both their hands free to deal with spindle and spacers etc.. Here's a link to a air wedge, cheaper ones are available on amazon etc.   https://www.screwfix.com/p/winbag-inflatable-air-wedge-160mm-160mm-x-160mm/1363k

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2024, 07:46:51 pm »
This seems a good idea I spotted somewhere online. On some bikes it's a real pain to refit the wheels, especially the rear, when you've got to lift the wheel up, juggle spacers, chain and brake disc into position then get the spindle through. I saw someone using an air wedge under the wheel to gradually lift it up into position, leaving both their hands free to deal with spindle and spacers etc.. Here's a link to a air wedge, cheaper ones are available on amazon etc.   https://www.screwfix.com/p/winbag-inflatable-air-wedge-160mm-160mm-x-160mm/1363k

I hope it will raise the wheel up high enough with the bike on the centerstand.
Do you own one ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2024, 02:44:34 pm »

I hope it will raise the wheel up high enough with the bike on the centerstand.
Do you own one ?

I've got one on the way ( a pair actually as it was only 10% more to get 2, wierdly). I'm hoping this idea works as I've a Kawa ZX12R that's really awkward to do a rear wheel change on my own