Author Topic: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.  (Read 1289203 times)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #17325 on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:08 pm »
The specs were for the European versions I believe. They were restricted to comply with there licensing.
We got the snarling beast like full power version, it still wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding tho.
Lovely little bike.

I don't know if Americans have rice puddings on their menu's Scunny, for good reason (it tastes like sh1t) so I think the equivalent put down is "It wouldn't pull a sick Indian out of his Teepee" if that's still politically correct? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17326 on: October 22, 2020, 08:59:40 pm »
The specs were for the European versions I believe. They were restricted to comply with there licensing.
We got the snarling beast like full power version, it still wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding tho.
Lovely little bike.

I don't know if Americans have rice puddings on their menu's Scunny, for good reason (it tastes like sh1t) so I think the equivalent put down is "It wouldn't pull a sick Indian out of his Teepee" if that's still politically correct? ;D

We had the little red Honda MB-5's over here back when they came out and someone said they could pull along at about 60mph flat-out,laying on the tank.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17327 on: October 22, 2020, 09:03:07 pm »
I'm pissed off with myself for being so lazy today, I could be working on any of four current builds, but instead I bottled 53 bottles of home brewed ginger beer (Spotty, come and get that sump oil and I'll throw a dozen your way) and now I'm sitting here watching "American Pickers". I can't believe how cheap bikes are in the US, I see Mike dickering over an asking price of $2500 USD for a BSA 650 and Triumph Trident in rough condition. I'd have paid at least twice that much here, which pisses me off........... ;D     
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17328 on: October 22, 2020, 09:07:27 pm »
Lovely little bike.

We had the little red Honda MB-5's over here back when they came out and someone said they could pull along at about 60mph flat-out,laying on the tank.

That reminds me, I must find the FB messages that went back and forth between me and the guy I bought the CL90 from a few weeks ago, God knows when I'll be allowed to go pick it up? ;D

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #17329 on: October 22, 2020, 09:15:47 pm »
Lovely little bike.

We have rice pudding here, but it might be different than your version. It taste pretty good with a bit of cinnamon on it.

Another version of low performance is  " wouldn't pull a drunk off the sh!##er".
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17330 on: October 22, 2020, 09:23:10 pm »
Lovely little bike.

We have rice pudding here, but it might be different than your version. It taste pretty good with a bit of cinnamon on it.

Another version of low performance is  " wouldn't pull a drunk off the sh!##er".

Well I'm drunk now mate, so I'll listen out for 2 stroke noise while I'm in the can, man.......... ;D

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #17331 on: October 22, 2020, 11:00:06 pm »
Being a pommie, I'm quite fond of rice pudding. Strangely though, the best ones are made by Greek run fish & chip shops!
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17332 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:22 pm »
American here...my grandma's rice pudding was so damn good!...but then, everything she touched tasted good
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #17333 on: October 24, 2020, 09:47:38 am »
I'm not pissed but I am a bit confused. I have a friend that's not very mechanically inclined (don't we all have a friend like that?) and while preparing for the coming winter he tried starting his snow blower that he hasn't used in over 2 years and it wouldn't fire up. I decided to take a look at it and of course the culprit was the 2 year old gas in its tank and gummed up carb so I did a quick clean of the carb and put fresh gas in it and got it running but not very good and the carb was leaking fuel just a bit so I decided to pull the carb off and thoroughly clean it this time. I got to searching the internet for a rebuild kit and spotted them at $32 which included all the seals, brass pieces and so on but I also spotted one for $16 as well. Funny thing is though it wasn't a rebuild kit, instead it was the complete carb, brand new, fully assembled and not just that, it came with a new primer pump, fuel filter, plastic petcock and last but not least a new spark plug all for just $16 so I went ahead and ordered it and sure enough it is identical to the old carb. How on earth a brand new carb costs half the price of a rebuild kit has me confounded but I'm not complaining. I just got done putting it on and it started on the first pull and runs great.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17334 on: October 24, 2020, 01:01:16 pm »
I'm not pissed but I am a bit confused. I have a friend that's not very mechanically inclined (don't we all have a friend like that?) and while preparing for the coming winter he tried starting his snow blower that he hasn't used in over 2 years and it wouldn't fire up. I decided to take a look at it and of course the culprit was the 2 year old gas in its tank and gummed up carb so I did a quick clean of the carb and put fresh gas in it and got it running but not very good and the carb was leaking fuel just a bit so I decided to pull the carb off and thoroughly clean it this time. I got to searching the internet for a rebuild kit and spotted them at $32 which included all the seals, brass pieces and so on but I also spotted one for $16 as well. Funny thing is though it wasn't a rebuild kit, instead it was the complete carb, brand new, fully assembled and not just that, it came with a new primer pump, fuel filter, plastic petcock and last but not least a new spark plug all for just $16 so I went ahead and ordered it and sure enough it is identical to the old carb. How on earth a brand new carb costs half the price of a rebuild kit has me confounded but I'm not complaining. I just got done putting it on and it started on the first pull and runs great.

What brand is the snow blower ?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #17335 on: October 24, 2020, 01:41:22 pm »
 I put a cheapie carb on my club car that tows our dragster around the pits. The OG carb had worn throttle shafts where the carb body didn't have bushings.  It took a little tuning but it's running great now. I kept the old one just in case it didn't work out. It has the 9hp kawasaki motor.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #17336 on: October 24, 2020, 03:26:12 pm »

It's a Troy-Bilt with a 179cc engine which as far as I can tell is made in China by Powermore and is essentially a Honda clone engine.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17337 on: October 24, 2020, 04:01:40 pm »
Same here, I've got a Troy Built 42" cut zero turn mower that I bolted a used 23 HP briggs V2 engine on, but was having problems with the factory carb, so bought a Chinese clone carb for under $100 AUD. ($70 USD?) It is slightly different, and I haven't installed it yet because I've been busy with bike stuff, but I need to move it soon so I can get my son's car past it, so I'll have to install the carb, if I can remember where I put it..... ;D   

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17338 on: October 24, 2020, 04:24:34 pm »

It's a Troy-Bilt with a 179cc engine which as far as I can tell is made in China by Powermore and is essentially a Honda clone engine.

Troy-Bilt,Made In China ?? probably not a hint of cast iron on it..

Online scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #17339 on: October 24, 2020, 04:58:21 pm »
I finished giving the XL250S a poor mans top end refresh yesterday, and went to start it, turned fuel on and it started pissing out. farkle.
Todays job was going to be remove carby and go thru it again, before I had got very far, I had a light bulb moment. check the drain screw, sure enough, it was still undone from when I removed it for the refresh. 2 kicks and she roared into life with no impending doom sounds. beauty. I can't think of anything to be pissed off about at the mo, so shall take the VTR out for a blat. 28*C here at the mo.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17340 on: October 24, 2020, 10:03:33 pm »
It's 28 degrees here too, but Fahrenheit.. now That Pisses me off. ...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #17341 on: October 25, 2020, 02:23:35 am »
Frank, you're sending that stuff our way as our 88-92 temps are going to change to 62F(16.7C) for a high temp Tuesday with a low of 44F (6.7C). Expecting up to 2 inches (5cm) of snow up on Mt Lemmon which is atop our northern mountain range forming the northern edge of Tucson. Mt. Lemmon is home of the most southern ski slope in the USA.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #17342 on: October 25, 2020, 04:42:57 am »
Troy-Bilt,Made In China ?? probably not a hint of cast iron on it..

From what I've read Troy-Bilt is owned by MTD and their engine supplier at least in regards to snow blowers is Powermore which is Chinese. Just how good this engine is compared to the Honda engine it's cloned after is still a mystery. The cheap carb I ordered from Amazon is definitely Chinese because the box it came in had made in China all over it.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17343 on: October 25, 2020, 08:28:08 am »
  Tinnitus, I got suckered (maybe) and ordered the Calmer ear guides. Looks like a funnel shaped earplug that dampens some frequencies. They were designed to help with annoying sounds that put some folks on edge but the ads say they have some promise with tinnitus. They're in England so it can take up to a month to get here in the middle of the U.S. If I get any relief I'll post results. The last time I didn't hear ringing was listening to an outdoor bluegrass concert 5 or so years ago, that leads me to believe it can be treated somehow.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17344 on: October 25, 2020, 10:53:55 am »
  Tinnitus, I got suckered (maybe) and ordered the Calmer ear guides. Looks like a funnel shaped earplug that dampens some frequencies. They were designed to help with annoying sounds that put some folks on edge but the ads say they have some promise with tinnitus. They're in England so it can take up to a month to get here in the middle of the U.S. If I get any relief I'll post results. The last time I didn't hear ringing was listening to an outdoor bluegrass concert 5 or so years ago, that leads me to believe it can be treated somehow.

Thanks  ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17345 on: October 25, 2020, 03:40:04 pm »

I’ve had tinnitus for well over 40 years Don, ever since recruit training where we fired the old SLR (FN) assault rifle with no hearing protection, before someone invented “Work health and safety” laws.

Last year the VA bought me $7000 hearing aids that generate different types of “White Noise” that supposedly mask the tinnitus. I found them to be a pain in the arse from day one, the “black boxes” that sit behind my ears get in the way of my glasses frames (I need my glasses for everything) and the only real benefit is that they’re synced to my iPhone (won’t work with androids) so when driving or riding, I can listen to the google maps lady telling me where to go (like most women do......) without having to turn the radio down in the car.

Interestingly, last November when I managed to smash my face in by using the wire wheel attachment on my pedestal grinder to frisbee a CB750 clutch plate into my face, for months afterwards, no Tinnitus! It’s slowly coming back, but no way as frustrating as it was, where at times I couldn’t hear people speaking to me over the constant ringing in my ears. I’m not recommending that you give yourself a major head injury to reduce your tinnitus level, but I did find it interesting. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17346 on: October 25, 2020, 03:46:39 pm »
If I have to choose, I'll get the bluegrass band back together to play outside for me rather than smash my face. It's nice to have options L0L! 
  Mine came on gradually after drag racing and running a jackhammer indoors for years. Oddly the headphones/ jackhammer combo made me dizzy and I had tubes in my ears by then so I couldn't wear earplugs.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17347 on: October 25, 2020, 03:55:07 pm »
Yep, tinnitus is horrible, I had a lady from the VA call me last year to discuss my 20-odd accepted conditions and when she got to tinnitus she actually laughed and told me that in her opinion tinnitus wasn’t even a medical condition worth considering! I asked her if she had it, to which she replied “No”, so I asked her “Then how the hell do you know what you’re talking about?” Then I hung up on the b1tch.

Made no difference, got my “Gold Card” so was able to cancel my private medical insurance, but I just couldn’t believe what morons were being employed to interface with old soldiers like me. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17348 on: October 25, 2020, 04:37:33 pm »
Yep, tinnitus is horrible, I had a lady from the VA call me last year to discuss my 20-odd accepted conditions and when she got to tinnitus she actually laughed and told me that in her opinion tinnitus wasn’t even a medical condition worth considering! I asked her if she had it, to which she replied “No”, so I asked her “Then how the hell do you know what you’re talking about?” Then I hung up on the b1tch.

Made no difference, got my “Gold Card” so was able to cancel my private medical insurance, but I just couldn’t believe what morons were being employed to interface with old soldiers like me. ;D

Good on you Terry,telling her then hanging-up on her.Tinnitus(that ringing is there 90% of the time) is a stupid thing that interrupts me while I'm trying to enjoy a peaceful time of reflection:nothing like 'the sounds of silence' I use to enjoy..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 09:02:33 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #17349 on: October 25, 2020, 08:38:48 pm »
Between some light tinnitus and the neck sounding like rice crispies being stepped on whenever I move my head silence is a luxury I haven't had in a very long time.
I protect my hearing as much as possible since I discovered I had suffered some loss mainly in the R side.
My loss is fortunately in a narrow band around 8-9 kHz.
David- back in the desert SW!