Author Topic: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.  (Read 1387165 times)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Hey Kev
Another good way to cook a leg of lamb is in a cast iron pot in a hole in the ground filled with glowing embers.

We use to do that a lot out in the bush.
The biggest challenge was to find a volunteer to dig the hole after a few beers.

We've also had a few Hungis (I think that's how you spell it)
That idea originates from Kiwi Land.
That's what our Kiwi mates tell us anyway.
Truth be known, it was probably an Ozzie that thought of it first.  ;D
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
Mick I need a little more info on hole in ground pot cooking, thanks.
Bill the demon.

Offline krusty

• Expert
  • There's no such thing as a garage that's too big
Honda
1976 CB750F1
1978 CB750F2
1972 CB350F
1961 C100 Cub
1962 C100 Cub
1959 C76
1963 C92
1964 C95
Suzuki
1963 M15D 50cc
1961 250TA Colleda
1961 250TA Colleda x 2 primed ready for paint and assembly
Yamaha
1977 DT175E x 2
1978 DT125E
1979 DT125F
1976 DT250E
1978 DT250G
1984 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Bill, the camping shops sell a cast iron pot with a lid.
We'd dig a hole about 3 foot deep and about 3 foot wide, then get some logs burning in the hole until they burnt down to glowing coals.

Then chuck the lamb in the pot with some oil, salt, garlic and a sprinkle of herbs.
About 1 1/2 to 2 hours cook time and the tucker is better than a flash restaurant.
You can throw in some potatoes and carrots or whatever other vegetables you like.
That's one of the best feeds that a bloke can knock up.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline petercb750

• Master
Thanks Mick, I had fkn cheese and vegemite on toast for tea.
1972 750/4 K2 (his), 1976 400/4 (hers)
1982 CB1100RC (ours)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer

Terry, what's going to become of the old Trumpy now? ;D.

G'Day Andrew, well we delivered the mighty green Subaru to my Ma yesterday and she took to it like a duck to water, we took her out to the old Aerodrome where she would have a bit of space to get used to the car, and she hopped in and drove us back to her place! She was really impressed with electric mirrors, power steering, decent brakes etc, and had a laugh when my son showed her how to open the passenger window on the move and yell "Wanker!" at unsuspecting pedestrians, ha ha!

My cuz and my sister have been pressuring her to get rid of the Triumph, but she has an emotional attachment because my dad loved it, so I told her that when she's had enough of it we'll just park it in the driveway, and once Ma leaves the planet, then I'll decide what to do with it. I'll be quite happy to give it away eventually, just as long as I don't have to pay someone to take it away........... ;D
If you need a spot in a shed to park the old trumpy I know where there is one. ;D  Would be a shame to see the old girl go to scrap. ;D
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Sorry 'bout that Pete.
Better come for a cruise to Darwin and I'll knock up a feed for you mate.
Seriously, that Weber is the Ducks Nuts.
I charcoaled a few things when I first got it but got it sorted out now.
No more sh1t to clean up in the kitchen anymore except for a few plates and knives and forks.
Doing the dishes pisses me off but the missus agreed to a deal that she'll do 'em and I'll cook while having a cold beer.  ;D
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
Sorry 'bout that Pete.
Better come for a cruise to Darwin and I'll knock up a feed for you mate.
Seriously, that Weber is the Ducks Nuts.
I charcoaled a few things when I first got it but got it sorted out now.
No more sh1t to clean up in the kitchen anymore except for a few plates and knives and forks.
Doing the dishes pisses me off but the missus agreed to a deal that she'll do 'em and I'll cook while having a cold beer.  ;D

Sounds like a fair deal to me !

Kev

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
Thanks guys, Pete gotta be Gods punishment for something. I'm trying to avoid building an oven for baking bread maybe I can use the information to bodge something together.
Bill the demon.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
We'd dig a hole about 3 foot deep and about 3 foot wide, then get some logs burning in the hole until they burnt down to glowing coals.

Then chuck the lamb in the pot with some oil, salt, garlic and a sprinkle of herbs.
About 1 1/2 to 2 hours cook time and the tucker is better than a flash restaurant.
You can throw in some potatoes and carrots or whatever other vegetables you like.

Mick, I put some flour into the juices in the pot , sit it back on the coals while it all thickens back up, add a little water and salt and pepper if needed, and you have the best gravy going, I love me a good camp oven feed..., ever done a lump of pork in one mate..? crackling to die for.. where's the drool smiley  !!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:51:06 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?

If you need a spot in a shed to park the old trumpy I know where there is one. ;D  Would be a shame to see the old girl go to scrap. ;D

No worries Andrew, seriously, it's not a bad old beast, Dad had it re-sprayed a few years ago and my cuz "cut and polished" it a couple of months ago, and it came up like new! It wouldn't be English if it didn't have a little rust coming out, but nothing that can't be fixed. I reckon it'd make it up to FNQ if I replaced all the coolant hoses too! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
All that "Bush Tucker" is fine, God knows I've cooked food in all sorts of places around this wide brown land, but I bought Ma a little bench top turbo convection oven a couple of years ago and it is without doubt, the best device for cooking a leg of lamb or a shoulder of pork, bar none.

The good thing is that you get a 360 degree view of the roast while it's cooking, it's faster and cheaper to run than a conventional oven, and if you need to be a manly man and cook outside but your poor old back is knackered like mine, you can take it out to the shed and cook it on your workbench, and just tell everyone you dug a fcuking hole and cooked it in your camp oven.

I just searched eBay for one so I could post a pic and I saw a brand spanker for 50 beans, so I bought it, which'll piss my missus off (she hates me buying kitchen gadgets) until I cook the best fcuking roast leg of lamb in the free world, and then she'll shut right up! ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 A neighbor was test riding my 850 yamaha, It did everything except throw him to the ground and run him over. Neutral light quit, engine died, wouldn't restart, reserve didn't work. Popped, sputtered, backfired,  I pushed it three blocks home and then it started right up.
  The worst part was he was trading my old 77 cb400f back to me.  Shucks!@#$%^& yamaha.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Don, I told ya about them #$%*boxes, didn't I...not trying to piss you off....more
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
Here you go Mick and Bill.
Me bloody bread baked on me bloody Webber. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Two birds with the one stone. ;)

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
That's fcuking brilliant Brian, I might have to try cooking a loaf of bread in my new turbo convection oven when it arrives, I gave my bread cooker and my pizza oven to #1 son............. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
Don, I told ya about them #$%*boxes, didn't I...not trying to piss you off....more

Yep, those fcuking horrible Yammy triples were a POS when they were new, and nearly forty years on certainly haven't improved. Yamaha have just released a new 850 triple which is a brilliant bike by all reports, obviously no relation to it's ugly-arsed ancestor........... ;D

Offline bear

• Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
I gave my bread cooker and my pizza oven to #1 son............. ;D

"There is no greater love than a father's for a son" ;D ;D
No bastard get's their mitts on my bread maker. >:(

Cheers,
Brian

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer

Mick, I put some flour into the juices in the pot , sit it back on the coals while it all thickens back up, add a little water and salt and pepper if needed, and you have the best gravy going, I love me a good camp oven feed..., ever done a lump of pork in one mate..? crackling to die for.. where's the drool smiley  !!  ;)
The pork is another favourite Mick.
Funny how everyone's you best mate when they spot the crackling.  ;D
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
I gave my bread cooker and my pizza oven to #1 son............. ;D

"There is no greater love than a father's for a son" ;D ;D
No bastard get's their mitts on my bread maker. >:(

Cheers,
Brian
I wouldn't let 'em get their bloody mits on the bread either mate.
Bugger 'em.  ;D
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL

The pork is another favourite Mick.
Funny how everyone's you best mate when they spot the crackling.  ;D

Many a fight was started over crackling...Or a race at least... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline bear

• Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
The "Lovely Evelyn" did a nice leg of pork last week.

Then went out to get a bottle of wine and some bastard had eaten all the crackling by the time she got back. 8)

I tried putting the blame on "Jack the dog" but that didn't fly.
Once again I came very close to a good stabbing. ;D

She was mightily pissed off.

Cheers,
Brian

Offline petercb750

• Master
You need to give that bloke a damn good talking to Brian... ::)
1972 750/4 K2 (his), 1976 400/4 (hers)
1982 CB1100RC (ours)

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
Thanks Bear it's also nice to know that you've dedicated your life to living dangerously.
Bill the demon.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer

No worries Andrew, seriously, it's not a bad old beast, Dad had it re-sprayed a few years ago and my cuz "cut and polished" it a couple of months ago, and it came up like new! It wouldn't be English if it didn't have a little rust coming out, but nothing that can't be fixed. I reckon it'd make it up to FNQ if I replaced all the coolant hoses too! ;D
It's a good job I'm in southern Qld. ;D
They are a nice old car, I damn near bought a stag with a 3.5l rover engine in it when I was 18. Was a nice car but the v8 rego up here is a killer. If it still had the original 4 cyl in it I would have probably bought it.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4