Author Topic: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.  (Read 1276392 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #16125 on: November 03, 2019, 08:53:23 am »
 Yeah, we knew it was too good to be true. I wonder if anyone got one before the mistake was caught? Proofreader got fired? 
  I bought some aluminum heads that were worth about that much. They had porosity and eventually cracked. When you buy a discounted engine at a trade show there may be a reason why. It did however go down the track around 900 times before the failure. Some of those heads failed when they were bolted down the first time, this information is according to the people that sold them and a guy that welded a bunch of them.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #16126 on: November 06, 2019, 04:05:33 pm »
I spent the last 7 days trying to “unlock” our 22 year old Hotmail address. We’ve been locked out for some undetermined reason that cannot be explained. Try speaking to a real person??? On line forms, “virtual operators”, etc., GOD HELP US ALL! fortunately, a very polite man from the Philippines called back on day 8. He assisted me with the forms, issued me a “session ticket number”, and promised to help......
Wanna bet?? In the mean time, don’t send me any PM’s!

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #16127 on: November 06, 2019, 08:39:32 pm »
Well I'm riding on the horns of a dilemma, yesterday I had an Ebay purchase arrive, a really nice CB750 front wheel, all the way from the US.

Now why, pray tell, would I buy a wheel in the US, when 1, I don't need one, and 2, if I did, I could probably source one here? Well, 1, it was in magnificent condition with shiny original spokes and no rust worth mentioning, and 2, it was cheap, @$75 USD. Oh, it also came with a really nice disc still bolted to the hub, and the axle and speedo drive, which sadly, is cracked. (But that was declared in the description, so no problems there)

Still, for $75 it was a bargain. What wasn't quite as good, was that the shipping to Oz was $192.55. Oh well. It is what it is, and I knew that before I hit the "Buy it now" option. What did piss me off though, was that the actual shipping cost was $137.00. Hmmnn, $55.00 difference seems a little excessive? So anyway, the seller said in his description that if I wasn't happy, to contact him and I'd make it right, rather than start a dispute, leave him bad feedback etc. Fair enough, so I contacted him, attached a pic of the shipping label with the price and I'm waiting for his reply.

So whats the dilemma whose horns I'm a riding? Well being the CB750 expert that I so obviously am, I realised, upon looking at the auction pics, thst the wheel was not a 1975 front wheel at all, but rather, one from a K0. And not just any K0, but from a particularly early example, probably a sandcast, looking at the disc rotor and speedo drive trim.

I'm guessing that the wheel, in that condition, might be worth a tad more than 75 beans? Probably a tad more than $267.55, which is what I paid tthe seller, including the $55 overcharge, so should I worry about pursuing the seller for 55 bux when I scored such a valuable piece?

Now let me just state for the record, that I didn't buy the wheel to re-sell, you see I've been looking for a K0 front hub (I'd given up on finding a complete wheel a long time ago) as I still have my K0 engine (1010xxx) forks, triples, rear hub, rim, original paint tank, etc etc, and one day, if I can find a frame, I'd like to build a "patina" K0 as a rider.

So given that I made out like a bandit, do I biatch because the seller ripped me off for shipping, probably intentionally because his signature is right there below the actual shipping price, or ask him for my 55 bucks? I don't really feel that pissed off, but at the same time, I really hate ebay sellers who intentionally rip off buyers? Hmmmnnnn....... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #16128 on: November 06, 2019, 08:50:25 pm »
Shees that's easy Terry. Just ask him to send you a K0 frame and you will call it even. :-X
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16129 on: November 06, 2019, 09:01:24 pm »
Shees that's easy Terry. Just ask him to send you a K0 frame and you will call it even. :-X

Now there's an idea! He didn't have any other K0 bits for sale though, so I'm guessing someone put a K0 front wheel on a K5, and he's just stripped it to sell? He's a bike wrecker, not a private seller. But I have put the word out on FB that I'm looking for a K0 frame, so if you see one, let me know? They're a lot more plentiful on your side of the pond than here, and that pisses me off too. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline web

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16130 on: November 07, 2019, 04:56:07 am »
Reading your other threads - it does seem typical... happening upon a nice wheel and then go look for a new bike to build around it  ;D

A "hen's teeth" piece in Australia might not be so sought after in the sellers' neck of the woods, so given that you're quite happy with the piece, you may not really be underpaying from his perspective. So I'd still ask the question, but phrase it kindly.

I also hate it when the item price is partially in the shipping (over)charge. I mean, honesty goes a long way right? You could tell him you're quite happy with the item, but did notice actual shipping turned out a lot cheaper than expected and ask if he plans to refund you, because the difference seems a bit much for wrapping. Seems a fair question to ask & see what happens...

Offline web

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16131 on: November 07, 2019, 04:58:19 am »
What pisses ME off today, is having bought the 550/500, but now having no time to start on it.

I'm spending it on an... investment though, redecorating the garage with new shelves and a French cleat tool wall 8)

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #16132 on: November 07, 2019, 07:35:44 am »
The sheer volume of scam artists using Craigslist these days pisses me off.

75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16133 on: November 07, 2019, 10:54:04 am »
 Sending money to a wrong email address thru paypal, to friends... and finding out 3 days later pisses me off.
 And now I can't even send an email to that address .. blocked maybe  ?
 And try asking paypal anything, they answer  you with click on the topic that best describes.. like wtf...let me e-mail to a person ffs..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16134 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:01 am »
Terry, I would keep the wheel and still go after him for the excess freight charge.
If you sell the wheel (admittedly at a very good profit probably) then you will kick yourself when that K0 frame finally comes along.
Secondly, freight charges from the US are a con job are far as I'm concerned. I've imported a lot of parts from there and the costs vary incredibly so I don't buy the "it's expensive for the US" line.
You only need to look at the costs for the same item from different sellers to see that someone is making more on the freight than on the part itself !
If he overcharged you, regardless of what the part actually was, he owes you.
Just my 2 pennies worth !

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16135 on: November 07, 2019, 01:02:21 pm »
Thanks guys, well 2 days after I politely asked him to refund my 55 bux I still haven't received a response, so yep, next step is to leave negative feedback and report him to Ebay, if I remember.....

Jay is quite right, the shipping  prices are all over the shop.  I also bought two wheels for my old Harley, the quite rare Borrani rimmed originals, from 2 separate sellers in the US. one charged 130 bucks (I didn't check the label, bjt that seems about right) and the other seller, 30 bucks. 30 bucks? Gotta be a mistake, right? So I was expecting another email saying I needed to pay another hundred bucks or so, but no, I checked the tracking number and it was on it's way to Oz! For 30 bucks? How the fcuk does that work? Oh well, I'll check the label when it arrives and see what's happened, weird.

At 300 bucks USD for the wheel I thought it was a bit over-priced, but these wheels are pretty rare, so was happy enough to pay, maybe the seller paid the difference out of his own pocket? Who knows what dwells in the minds of men....... ;D

Offline web

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16136 on: November 08, 2019, 02:14:59 am »
You can look up rates online though, if you have an approximate weight. It doesn't have to be a guessing game.

I have dealt with the same for decades only with a different destination. For parcels I tend to ask for US Postal Service, their 'ground' option is usually an order of magnitude cheaper internationally, than carriers like FedEx and UPS that only offer express air. This may explain the big difference.
And it gets there only a couple of days later. It isn't really put on a boat, it'll just sit at the back waiting for a plane with a bit of extra space. Maybe not try this around Christmas though.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16137 on: November 08, 2019, 02:32:15 am »
If that shipping price was stated in the ad, or by him to you when you asked him... before end of sale, it is considered Terms of Sale.. if you bid, you agreed to terms of sale.
 Not saying it happened that way, nor is it kosher.
 Higher shipping, on low parts price is nothing new at ebay. They started taking a cut from the shipping, to even that out.

If you overpaid on one and underpaid on the other one, It looks to me like its  evening out.
 Leave a neg , and next thing you know, you want to bid on something you really need, and they say No, ....Wont ship to Oz.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Greaser Greg

• I'm a liquor in the front and poker in the rear
  • Enthusiast
  • Motorcycles needed = # owned +1
« Reply #16138 on: November 08, 2019, 12:50:40 pm »
When I send a notice to pay rent or quit, and the tenant gets pissed at ME because she's so great and my rental is so #$%*ty. And all manner of excuses why she doesn't have the$. WTF? If you don't like it, gtfo! Then says the check will be sent next week. Good thing it's a 30 hour drive.  I'd probably get arrested if we had a "private" conversation trying to get $5000 in back rent. Yeah, California really does have the most of 'me. (Flakes) That really pisses me off.
Nothin matters, if ya don't mind.
74 CB550
78 CB750F
71 R5
71 R5 in progress
97 XL1200S
08 XL1200N
78 Hobbit
02 4trax 350
? Chinese 49cc mini rat/lightweight

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #16139 on: November 08, 2019, 08:25:33 pm »
lotta money!id be pissed off,good thing a long way away?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16140 on: November 08, 2019, 10:35:07 pm »
Yep, I'd never be a landlord, my dad inherited his aunties house back in the 1970's, and it almost drove him insane. Bad tenants are everywhere, and he just had one bad tenant after another. He repainted it and re-carpeted it twice in less than 10 years, and gave up and just sold it. He told me it was the worst 10 years of his life. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16141 on: November 12, 2019, 09:47:50 am »
 On a facebook Goldwing page, a video of a gl starter motor running but the starter clutch isn't catching. Solutions suggested, hit it with a hammer, jump it with a car, one year only starter good luck, rebuild the starter, no really hit it with a hammer, rebuild the starter motor, I have one for sale,  and finally,  the starter clutch is sludged up. Put it inside, heat it up, get it running, change the oil right away.

Another guy posted a pic. of his "bought on veterans day" gl. He was reminded price and location. WTF.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #16142 on: November 12, 2019, 02:55:50 pm »
Hey Terry and Dave how are you guys doing for smoke and flame how's the rest of the Oz crew for the fires, I remember as a kid looking out from my front yard in West Vancouver up Hollyburn Mountain at the glowing red spots on the mountain and the smoke making it hard to breathe. I think that was also the year of the polio scare.
Bill the Demon.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #16143 on: November 12, 2019, 03:27:28 pm »
down south we're fine at the moment ( its still cold and wet down here )

our neighbouring suburbs volunteer fire brigades have sent 3 crews up to nsw where the worst of the fires are, they drive for a day, fight fires for 3 days and drive back again, not fun at all. there will be calls going out for more crews unless the fires get under control very soon. all up 500 have gone from this state.
lets hope they're happy to pop down here when the inevitable happens to us later in the year
where i live is rated as one of the highest risk bushfire areas in australia , and until recently, the world ( thanks for taking that one california) so we are very thankful for our local volunteers ( mrs spotty is an active firefighter, i'm too useless and crippled so i'm in the feeding and helping out dept )

on a related matter, one of our federal politicians ( fcukwit country nazi party) took his foot out of his mouth yesterday to announce that a couple of people who have died up north were probably Greens voters....inferring they may well have brought it upon themselves, the Greens are , obviously , in favour of conservation but are all too aware of the risks and threat of fire and therefore in favour of responsible fire management , the nazis think it would all be better off if we ripped out all the trees for logging and therefore removed the things most likely to burn, strangely they are also the leaders in the climate change denial stakes

rant over

stay safe everyone
i blame Terry

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16144 on: November 12, 2019, 06:27:17 pm »
The same week I spent most of my fun money on my race car, a friend in the chassis business put the frame I want on sale. And that pisses me off.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #16145 on: November 12, 2019, 07:28:15 pm »
Thanks for the update Spotty.
Bill the demon.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16146 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:48 pm »
Well I'm riding on the horns of a dilemma, yesterday I had an Ebay purchase arrive, a really nice CB750 front wheel, all the way from the US.

Now why, pray tell, would I buy a wheel in the US, when 1, I don't need one, and 2, if I did, I could probably source one here? Well, 1, it was in magnificent condition with shiny original spokes and no rust worth mentioning, and 2, it was cheap, @$75 USD. Oh, it also came with a really nice disc still bolted to the hub, and the axle and speedo drive, which sadly, is cracked. (But that was declared in the description, so no problems there)

Still, for $75 it was a bargain. What wasn't quite as good, was that the shipping to Oz was $192.55. Oh well. It is what it is, and I knew that before I hit the "Buy it now" option. What did piss me off though, was that the actual shipping cost was $137.00. Hmmnn, $55.00 difference seems a little excessive? So anyway, the seller said in his description that if I wasn't happy, to contact him and I'd make it right, rather than start a dispute, leave him bad feedback etc. Fair enough, so I contacted him, attached a pic of the shipping label with the price and I'm waiting for his reply.

So whats the dilemma whose horns I'm a riding? Well being the CB750 expert that I so obviously am, I realised, upon looking at the auction pics, thst the wheel was not a 1975 front wheel at all, but rather, one from a K0. And not just any K0, but from a particularly early example, probably a sandcast, looking at the disc rotor and speedo drive trim.

I'm guessing that the wheel, in that condition, might be worth a tad more than 75 beans? Probably a tad more than $267.55, which is what I paid tthe seller, including the $55 overcharge, so should I worry about pursuing the seller for 55 bux when I scored such a valuable piece?

Now let me just state for the record, that I didn't buy the wheel to re-sell, you see I've been looking for a K0 front hub (I'd given up on finding a complete wheel a long time ago) as I still have my K0 engine (1010xxx) forks, triples, rear hub, rim, original paint tank, etc etc, and one day, if I can find a frame, I'd like to build a "patina" K0 as a rider.

So given that I made out like a bandit, do I biatch because the seller ripped me off for shipping, probably intentionally because his signature is right there below the actual shipping price, or ask him for my 55 bucks? I don't really feel that pissed off, but at the same time, I really hate ebay sellers who intentionally rip off buyers? Hmmmnnnn....... ;D

Well after giving up on ever seeing my $55.00 USD again, this morning I had a message from the seller apologising profusely, and refunding the postage over-charge. Ebay then refunded $5.50 in "Goods and Services Tax" which I was just as surprised to see. I'll leave positive feedback for the seller now that I know he's a human. ;D

Offline web

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16147 on: November 14, 2019, 07:51:30 am »
Better late than never...

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #16148 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »
Just got the Sup.Regs for Phillip Island and the next Southern Classic in January and the prick's have dropped all the sidecar events.
The lying bastards. >:(
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #16149 on: November 14, 2019, 10:51:53 pm »
Why would they drop the chairs ?
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project