Author Topic: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.  (Read 1276444 times)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #17100 on: September 12, 2020, 08:12:26 pm »
Cutting little chunks off of my body pisses me off!  I swear I wasn't trying to be like Terry.

Table saw kickback, it could have been way worse. I'm lucky but still pissed!😡
Table saws piss me off in general, and I avoid them like the plague...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Online jgger

• Master
« Reply #17101 on: September 12, 2020, 08:25:53 pm »
Scottly it's part of my job and it has been about 55 years since the last table saw cut.

BomberMann glad the neighbor got the fire put out quickly. That can be pretty scary.  Good thing about this cut was it was my thumb on the left hand. If it was one of my fingers that would have put an end to playing my guitar. As it is probably only a week or two break now.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #17102 on: September 13, 2020, 12:32:36 am »
Jgger, ouch! That left a mark. Heal quick I hope, keep it clean. Is your tetanus Booster up to date?
David- back in the desert SW!

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #17103 on: September 13, 2020, 12:35:06 am »
They make Kevlar gloves that can help prevent those kinds of accidents...fwiw. They are fairly inexpensive. They are designed for knive work but will protect you from other bladed things as well.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #17104 on: September 13, 2020, 01:26:52 am »
Cutting little chunks off of my body pisses me off!  I swear I wasn't trying to be like Terry.

Table saw kickback, it could have been way worse. I'm lucky but still pissed!😡

Ouch! That's a good sized chunk you're missing mate, well done! I took a lump out of my finger when I was doing the valve clearances on my F2.2 "Effie" a couple of weeks ago, , but I just pushed the flap of skin back in place and wrapped it in a dirty piece of shop towel and masking tape, and it appears to be healing. Just like that big creepy spider that you douse in bug spray, it appears to be much smaller now than it was when I first did it, and that pisses me off, just a little. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #17105 on: September 13, 2020, 03:30:07 am »
yes, be careful around any tools that have spinning end on them, ive stuck a few into my flesh over the years including my recent chainsaw/knee interface but a few years ago i was cutting some corrugated roofing with my angle grinder and managed to get my left thumb through the side and across the fingernail

i thought it would hurt like hell and p1ss blood all ove the place but angle grinders go so fast it cauterised the wound as it went in, so no blood and all the nerve endings were burned dead as doornails too

so no hospital visit, didn't even need a bandage
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17106 on: September 13, 2020, 05:43:10 am »
Well done Spotty, and for every horrible injury I've inflicted upon myself, I've missed another ten. One that I rarely forget though, was when I was making a 1/2" thick BBQ plate. The plate had been cut roughly with any oxy torch, so I decided to clean it up by using a cut off blade in my scary 9 inch angle grinder.

I was wearing welders gloves, but the blade that I'd taken off my 14 inch cutoff machine was worn to around 10 inches, so I had to remove the grinders guard. I happily sliced thru the steel plate, but noticed that I'd cut a hole in the welders glove on my left hand. I took the glove off, and saw that I'd neatly chopped the top bezel off my new(ish) Citizen divers watch, but hadn't scratched my arm. I took the watch to my local jeweler's, and the lady there wouldn't believe my story? Oh well, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction........... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #17107 on: September 13, 2020, 06:35:47 am »
Not sure David...at the moment now that its cooled down all the wheels spin free.  However the brake pedal feels like it has very limited travel though.

I'm going to come back with fresh eyes in the morning.
Joe, there is a very good chance the push-rod from the pedal is adjusted too long, holding the master piston partially depressed. This has the same affect as when the tiny relief hole in a CB MC gets blocked; the piston blocks the hole, so there is no relief, and as things heat up and expand, the brakes drag more.
So..possibly same effect...different cause. I just realized the the brake pedal return spring is missing.  From what I can see this could produce the same effect. 

I’m digging through my parts, but I’m starting to think it wasn’t there to begin with. Either that or I took it off and lost it. Which I have no recollection of.  Really hope this is the easy fix. I’m guessing new pads may be in order since I cooked the ones on there now.

Missing parts piss me off!

Edit...now I’m not sure if these power brakes actually had a return spring.  I think it’s in the booster.  I did fine that something in the pedal was binding ...it’s all free now and I’m going to take it for short spin to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:16:55 am by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #17108 on: September 13, 2020, 06:39:35 am »
They make Kevlar gloves that can help prevent those kinds of accidents...fwiw. They are fairly inexpensive. They are designed for knive work but will protect you from other bladed things as well.
I was always taught that you NEVER wear gloves when working on table saws and the like.

Glad it wasn’t too bad Jgger...I use this style feather board and love it.  Maybe something to consider

BOW Products FP3 Feather-Duo Stackable Feather-Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QLFPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YdIxFbGPV4CEM

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17109 on: September 13, 2020, 10:55:52 am »
I should mention  this...
 When I ran chainsaw in the bush, we wore pads or leggings . I believe the 1/4 inch thick pads  were  Kevlar.... a word not common then.  I believe the way they worked was the chain would pull in multiple Kevlar strands and stall out.. Luckily I never got to put it to test..
 So it makes me wonder, in a table saw scenario, will the blade just nibble the fibres, or will it pull in ? Because pulling would be bad..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17110 on: September 13, 2020, 11:01:34 am »
I was always taught that you NEVER wear gloves when working on table saws and the like.

Glad it wasn’t too bad Jgger...I use this style feather board and love it.  Maybe something to consider

BOW Products FP3 Feather-Duo Stackable Feather-Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QLFPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YdIxFbGPV4CEM

+1, I worked at a secondary hardwood millwork company for 13 years and I still have all my digits...and arms...and legs.  That was some BIG machinery.  No gloves.  Most important thing is to ALWAYs think about where your hands and body parts are and what the possible consequences of putting them somewhere could be.

We made our own consumable feather boards and push sticks from soft maple.

Metalwork is different.  Sometimes you gotta wear gloves...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:03:29 am by seanbarney41 »
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17111 on: September 13, 2020, 12:00:41 pm »
 Actually  in machining, we only wear gloves , to coil or uncoil band saw  blades, or to handle raw material. While running machines,  not advised.,
dodogas99@gmail.com

Online jgger

• Master
« Reply #17112 on: September 13, 2020, 01:11:24 pm »
Yea, I was stupid. I was ripping a short piece about 10" long, pushed it most of the way through and was holding it in place. I reached for the push stick and the piece bound up and spit back dragging my hand with it before I could engage the push stick. It just slapped the back side of the blade that was set for a less than full depth cut. It happens fast!

God looks after orphans and idiots...............I was raised by my parents!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #17113 on: September 13, 2020, 02:15:41 pm »

Hahaha!  That’s going into my library of sayings

And yes...when #$%* happens...it’s usually stupid fast

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #17114 on: September 13, 2020, 09:13:34 pm »
Yea, I was stupid. I was ripping a short piece about 10" long, pushed it most of the way through and was holding it in place. I reached for the push stick and the piece bound up and spit back dragging my hand with it before I could engage the push stick. It just slapped the back side of the blade that was set for a less than full depth cut. It happens fast!

It’s easy to get lazy and not use feather boards or other safety devices.....I do it all the time.  When cutting short pieces I always stand to one side or the other never directly behind the blade.  With long boards it’s easy enough to control them.....those short ones can become projectiles.

Online jgger

• Master
« Reply #17115 on: September 13, 2020, 11:10:10 pm »
Update-i picked up my guitar tonight to see if I could play it. Sounds just as bad as before I cut myself and the dogs started howling, so I think I'm going to be ok!🤕

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17116 on: September 14, 2020, 05:08:12 am »
Update-i picked up my guitar tonight to see if I could play it. Sounds just as bad as before I cut myself and the dogs started howling, so I think I'm going to be ok!🤕

Well that's good news mate, it'd be awful if your injury ruined your musical, er, skills! ;D

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #17117 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:34 pm »
It’s been a while since I was on here, I figured it was past time for my yearly check in . This year has pissed me off no end, and not for the reasons you might think.

On New Year’s Eve I was injured at work while subduing a junkie pos. I got hit in the side of the knee while we were trying to stop him assaulting one of my coworkers. This year has turned into an endless stream of doctors and psych appointments.

About a month or so ago workcover turned around to me and said that my knee is as good as it is going to get and cut me off. Work in turn told me that due to workcover cutting me off then my injury was no longer work related and I had to go back to full duties or I wouldn’t have a job.  The last couple of weeks I’ve been working 12 hour shifts and I’m coming home every day with my knee swollen from being on my feet all day.

I’m now faced with the decision of whether or not to sue them for what happened. A road I never wanted to go down, but it’s starting to look more and more like I’m not going to have a choice. Which really pisses me off.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17118 on: September 15, 2020, 11:10:16 pm »
Geez that’s no good Andrew, I’ve heard all sorts of stories about Workcovers mercenary tactics, including from my son who suffered a nervous breakdown while being subjected to daily violence when working as a carer for an extremely violent Mental patient at a DHS facility including spying on him when he was at home and endless threats until his psych finally had enough and told them to back off. In the end he found a really good job doing something that he loves and he’s been good ever since, but doesn’t have anything nice to say about workcover.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17119 on: September 16, 2020, 12:24:24 am »
Workcover is only an insurance company, they’re only ever looking for a way to not pay. I don’t expect anything more from them.

What is really pissing me off is how I have been treated by the management at the jail.  To be told that it’s not a work related injury is just bull#$%*.

The junkie piece of #$%* is finally getting charged with assault of my coworker. I have to go to the cop shop next week and provide a statement in regards to it, I need to talk to them about getting listed as a secondary victim of the assault. Hopefully the piece of #$%* will get some more time and it will be more evidence to support my case.
1979 CB650Z

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #17120 on: September 16, 2020, 05:29:43 am »
I worked for WorkCover for years and in the end just couldn't toe the line of being a professional cnut.
We were given targets of people to get off payments, whether they were back at work, still injured, didn't matter
The last couple of months I just paid anyone and anything, didn't care anymore, which as a side effect created precedent which enabled a few people to stay on payments and expenses a bit longer
The drinking culture in that place was chronic, everyone was drinking all the time to deal with it, in the end I fcuked up royally in a work related situation, it involved a bottle of vodka, half a gram of speed , a large knife, a punched in pub window and a lot of my own blood
That was a Friday night, I was told on the Monday that the cops were looking for me, I buggered off and they never found me ( I never gave work my real address or any of that sh1t)
Anyway I digress, WorkCover were are and always will be ar5eholes any will do anything to get you off payments
i blame Terry

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #17121 on: September 16, 2020, 02:51:15 pm »
Spotty, none of what you said surprises me. People can’t be that much of an arsehole on a daily basis without being affected in one way or another.
1979 CB650Z

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17122 on: September 16, 2020, 05:18:50 pm »
Great story Spotty, and I can tell that you’ve never had to deal with the DVA guys, they make workcover look generous. The defence community have been calling for a Royal Commission into the inner dealings of the DVA for a couple of years due to the much higher proportion of veteran suicides to that of the wider community. One ex Navy guy was so frustrated with filling out endless reams of DVA forms that he blew his brains out and they found his body laying among the claim forms.

The DVA cheated me out of $40K in pension entitlements because the idiot “Advocate” who filled out the forms for me claimed under the wrong act, and although I was entitled to it, by the time they told me that I should have claimed under the correct act, it was too late to put in a claim, and they don’t allow retrospective payments. I countered that the advocate fcuked up and he was their representative but they responded that he was just an unpaid RSL member and not a DVA employee, so I could go fcuk myself.

Luckily for me, I still had copies of some of my medical documentation and raised a heap of other claims (myself, I wouldn’t trust another advocate) in another act, which was approved 2 years later and paid me a substantial sum, and I was issued a gold card, which pays for all of my medical bills regardless of whether they were service related or not. I’m thinking a penis extension might be nice, not that I need one, of course...... ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17123 on: September 16, 2020, 06:10:19 pm »
You fellas have tough insurance folks over there.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17124 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:16 pm »
Terry , you can only choose one.... 1428 Kawi motor...or..penis extension...
dodogas99@gmail.com