Author Topic: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.  (Read 1289133 times)

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
Re: Let it all hang out,tell us how you really feel and what pisses you off.
« Reply #17250 on: October 11, 2020, 04:48:46 pm »
Yes mate, tax is a subject that pisses me off big time. Over here, the more you earn, the more you pay, which is a disincentive to work hard and earn more.

Wait, whaaat? Shouldn't that be how taxation works? Or the more you earn, the less you should pay?

I've never bought the disincentive argument. The USA had a crazy high tax rate in the 1950s and 1960s, when it was extremely productive.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #17251 on: October 11, 2020, 04:50:11 pm »
Packaging..... my wife opens a feta cheese container, and inside: an extra basket to lift out the cheese! Seriously? More garbage to throw out and recycle. Last week was a small plastic package of raspberries that were virtually, individually packaged? Our oceans are packed with this shi*t and yesterday I read that we are drinking water filled with micro fibres of plastic? I sat down and found the manufactures (Ontario based, not far from me) and told them what I think. Probably a waste of time, but this stuff pisses me off.

P.S. I am keeping it. Will make a nice small parts holder for my ultra sonic tank!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #17252 on: October 11, 2020, 07:39:09 pm »
Yes mate, tax is a subject that pisses me off big time. Over here, the more you earn, the more you pay, which is a disincentive to work hard and earn more.

Wait, whaaat? Shouldn't that be how taxation works? Or the more you earn, the less you should pay?

I've never bought the disincentive argument. The USA had a crazy high tax rate in the 1950s and 1960s, when it was extremely productive.

No, you need to understand how our system works to understand my post. We have "tax brackets" which equate to a percentage of your salary earned, depending on which "Bracket" you fall into. Because I earn over $100K, I'm in the second highest tax bracket, so rather than paying a flat percentage of my salary (say, 20% of my earnings) I pay $21000, plus $0.37 for every dollar I earn over $90K. My tax bill last year was $43,000.00. I am the sole salary earner in my family, but if my wife and I both had jobs earning the same total, we'd pay less than $10K. If that's not a disincentive to your way of thinking, well, I'd have to question how your brain works.

The second part of my previous post mentioned an Army pension, which is my own money saved during my 24 years in the regular army plus interest earned, which I am taxed on at a higher rate than my normal salary, as it's classed by the ATO as a second income (i.e., a second job) so I lose around 30% of my own savings in tax, which although compulsory, was in hindsight, a pretty poor investment. If you're at all confused, take a look at the link, below. ;D

https://www.money.com.au/income-tax-brackets   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Master
« Reply #17253 on: October 11, 2020, 08:22:17 pm »
well, I'd have to question how your brain works.
https://www.money.com.au/income-tax-brackets

You already have mate, and I'm used to it.

You made it sound as though because someone makes 100K a year and gets taxed at 20%, then it'd be better to have a job at 30K a year and only get taxed 10%.

And the website itself says that it's impossible to earn less in a higher tax bracket, so there's that.

But the messed up part seems to be filing as an individual job holder instead of as a family. That I don't understand if it's true.

The idea that higher taxes are a disincentive for people here in the US has been floated for decades and is simply bunk and way for people to scream for lower taxes for the wealthy. With my example above, it's almost as if they're saying they'd rather take home 27K (and only pay 3k) than take home 80k (and have to pay 20k).

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #17254 on: October 11, 2020, 08:58:13 pm »

We have "tax brackets" which equate to a percentage of your salary earned, depending on which "Bracket" you fall into.
We also have "tax brackets" in the US, where the percentage increases with the income??
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/tax-brackets.aspx
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:02:03 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17255 on: October 11, 2020, 11:22:54 pm »

We have "tax brackets" which equate to a percentage of your salary earned, depending on which "Bracket" you fall into.
We also have "tax brackets" in the US, where the percentage increases with the income??
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/tax-brackets.aspx

Thanks Scott, 24% on couples earning up to $320K USD pisses all over my 27% on $110K with no combined couples income, so what's your point again? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17256 on: October 12, 2020, 12:04:57 am »
That's a lot of tax to pay Terry.Do taxes in Australia pay for many Government programs ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17257 on: October 12, 2020, 01:44:47 am »
That's a lot of tax to pay Terry.Do taxes in Australia pay for many Government programs ?

Yeah mate, like all but 3 developed countries in the world (except yours, Turkey and somewhere else I've forgotten) we have taxpayer funded medical care, which while not perfect, is pretty good. For example, when I managed to smash my own face in last November, the ambulance ride, emergency medical treatment, CT scans, appointments with a plastic surgeon and an ophthalmologist and reconstructive surgery, plus follow up consultations and medication that I was discharged from hospital with, cost me absolutely nothing.

Once I explained that I also had private medical insurance they asked me if I could claim it from my provider (not compulsory and still at no additional cost to me) I did, but had I been a low income earner with no private medical cover or financial hardship etc, it still wouldn't have cost me jack diddly, so that in itself was probably the best example of where personal income tax dollars in any country, should be going.

On top of that of course, is sales tax, which sucks balls, as it's another hit on a population where the majority are already paying income tax, but nevertheless, we pay a flat 10% on Goods and Services Tax (GST) on pretty much everything we buy, or use, including groceries, utilities, building materials, motorcycle parts, etc etc. If you're a smoker (I've smoked on and off for the last 46 years or so) the tax on cigarettes and tobacco is murder. In Australia, a pack of Marlboros costs $33.16, but in South Korea the same ciggies only cost $5.51, in China $4.94, and in Indonesia a mere $2.64. 

Then when it comes to fuel prices, we pay not only the 10% goods and services tax, but we also pay another 42 cents per litre (about $0.25 USD, or say, a buck USD per gallon) in "Excise" fees, so basically, with fuel at such a low rate (by Oz standards) at the moment, the government makes more money out of a gallon of gas, than Shell, BP, Caltex, Exxon (Mobil) etc do, for doing all the work. 

On top of that still is if I deem to access my retirement savings as I'm currently allowed to do due to the current Covid crisis, I have to pay another 15% tax on what I withdraw. Oh, and if I have any spare cash and want to pay additional money into my retirement savings each pay, once again, bend over Terry, and give the government another 15%. Fair? Fcuk no, and that pisses me off. ;D   

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #17258 on: October 12, 2020, 04:00:53 am »
But the messed up part seems to be filing as an individual job holder instead of as a family. That I don't understand if it's true.

Damn right it's true!  I have an income of $98,000, my wife has $0 income.  I pay more tax than a married couple earning $49,000 apiece. It sucks!

Trevor
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Master
« Reply #17259 on: October 12, 2020, 05:55:45 am »
Frustration at paying taxes is universal, but they're necessary. I can think of a few countries that have reduced taxes on the wealthy, for example, that don't have enough money to pay for simple infrastructure or health or retirement or to provide services for the mentally ill and homeless. A pity, really.

If it's any consolation Terry, I imagine there are quite a few people here (and a hell of a lot of people elsewhere) that would happily cover your tax bill in exchange for what you take home. Kudos for doing well.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #17260 on: October 12, 2020, 10:26:09 am »
over here you get the first 12 thousand tax free , from 12 to 50 you pay 20% from 50 to 150 you pay 40% and anything over that is 45%

• Expert
« Reply #17261 on: October 12, 2020, 06:14:58 pm »
over here you get the first 12 thousand tax free , from 12 to 50 you pay 20% from 50 to 150 you pay 40% and anything over that is 45%

Then there's VAT...
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17262 on: October 12, 2020, 06:48:07 pm »
Frustration at paying taxes is universal, but they're necessary. I can think of a few countries that have reduced taxes on the wealthy, for example, that don't have enough money to pay for simple infrastructure or health or retirement or to provide services for the mentally ill and homeless. A pity, really.

If it's any consolation Terry, I imagine there are quite a few people here (and a hell of a lot of people elsewhere) that would happily cover your tax bill in exchange for what you take home. Kudos for doing well.

Yes mate, I'm sure there are, but here in Oz everyone is born with the same opportunities (some more than others, we've got plenty of rich people here too) but I only come from a working class family, left school at 15 and joined the Army at 17, and was lucky to get where I am from just doing my job as best I could. My little sister is the only sibling that my folks could afford to put through university, and she's now a university lecturer earning twice as much as me.

In this country, just like yours, if you want to get ahead and make a good living, you just need to get off your butt and apply yourself. The problem lots of kids have nowadays that we didn't have back in the 60's and 70's, is a sense of entitlement. Sadly I've spent a lot of time in hospital in recent years and there are so many young medical professionals who are the children of Asian refugees who came here with nothing, worked hard to get their kids an education, and their children have used those opportunities to succeed.

No one should be envious of anyone else's success, we're all the architects of our own destiny. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17263 on: October 12, 2020, 07:02:36 pm »
Good message Terry
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #17264 on: October 12, 2020, 10:25:27 pm »

No one should be envious of anyone else's success, we're all the architects of our own destiny. ;D

Well said Uncle Tez.

And it's true, I just wish I wasn't using a pencil when I was doing the schematics.
I broke the lead and could never find my sharpener. ;D ;D ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

• Expert
« Reply #17265 on: October 12, 2020, 11:19:16 pm »
No one should be envious of anyone else's success, we're all the architects of our own destiny

Very true.  I joined the Australian Public Service at 19 years of age, and tolerated an often soul destroying, humiliating, frustrating and unfair workplace for 36 years.  I elected to stay in the old (CSS) super scheme, left my contributions at a higher salary rate when I was demoted, and also contributed more than the standard amount.  With 3 kids & my wife working part-time as a domestic cleaner, we did it really tough at times.  But we kept our eyes on the end game.  Because of the peculiarities of the CSS super scheme, I was able to retire at 55 years of age, on close to $100k per year.  I would admonish my former workmates when they said "You're so lucky!", because luck had nothing to do with it.   
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17266 on: October 13, 2020, 12:20:31 am »
Yep, you can't complain about that, my mum was a school teacher for 20 years, and her super package is better than my army super, even though she retired years before I left the army. Same/same a mate who was a Telstra linie retired a couple of years ago, took a package, and walked away with 700K. He quite liked sitting in a pit joining cables all his life, and is a bit lost now, but is enjoying not having to worry about money. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17267 on: October 13, 2020, 12:23:32 am »

Well said Uncle Tez.

And it's true, I just wish I wasn't using a pencil when I was doing the schematics.

Ha ha, you broke a sh1tload more than just your "pencil" Brian, when I first met you, you had more tubes hanging out of you than I thought humanly possible, but looking at your crash pics, it's still hard to believe how you survived at all! ;D

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #17268 on: October 13, 2020, 12:29:47 am »

Well said Uncle Tez.

Ha ha, you broke a sh1tload more than just your "pencil" Brian, when I first met you, you had more tubes hanging out of you than I thought humanly possible, but looking at your crash pics, it's still hard to believe how you survived at all! ;D

I haven't seen those pics for ages I should have a look for 'em. ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17269 on: October 13, 2020, 01:43:24 am »
They were truly frightening mate, was it Sammy who posted them? You getting airborne, you hitting the wall, then the sidecar outfit slamming you against the wall again. I know you broke lots of bones and died 3(?) times on the side of the tack before the helicopter flew you to the Austin Spinal Unit, it sure makes my injuries look like paper cuts, in comparison. Still sad that your mate Peter(? with the Oxygen bottle) has passed, he was a lovely bloke. ;D 

Offline BigJimG

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17270 on: October 13, 2020, 05:26:38 am »
About three weeks ago, I called on another CB175 (That I don't really need, or have space for) that was priced extremely well and had a title.  Typical old bike problems, dented gas tank needs cleaned out, doesn't run, etc. Lady said she sold it already and they were coming to pick it up that evening.  Three days later I see the same exact CB listed back on Facebook Marketplace at almost 3x the price "Firm".  Listings show a few more pictures, "Runs on one cylinder, needs carbs rebuilt, and gas tank needs cleaned out" 

He eventually, dropped the price to about double what he paid for it and looks like he sold it in the last day or so.  I don't have a problem with people trying to make a buck, but at least try to polish the turd a little before you do.
1972ish CB750 Chopper Project
Yet another CB Chopper frame
1972 CL175
1973 CB175
1975 XR75
1975 CB750F
1976 CB750F1
1977 CB750F2
1978 CB750F3  (apparently, now I have a full set...)
1991 XR80

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #17271 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:05 pm »
 I've been filling in homeschooling my granddaughters on the days when their mother works in the office and they don't go to in person school, that's over for a while they got exposed to virus on the school bus. They got the swab up the nose test this morning, both cried. I'm barred for two weeks. And that's what's pissing me off.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17272 on: October 13, 2020, 04:58:46 pm »
Sorry to see that Don, hope they’re both fine.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17273 on: October 14, 2020, 04:10:04 am »
I've just watched Guy Ritchie's "The Gentlemen". Now I want 2 hours of my life back. Charlie Hunham's British accent should have put me off in the first 5 minutes, but I hoped it would get better. I was wrong. What a load of garbage. Loads of garbage piss me off............. :D

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #17274 on: October 14, 2020, 09:31:18 am »
i walked out of the pictures after an hour of that rubbish , don't know why i went really guy richie has never made a good film .