Author Topic: Steering / fork lock installation  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Kyytsis

Steering / fork lock installation
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:30:20 am »
Hello,

The previous owner (yes, I can still blame him for everything :) ) removed the steering lock from my K7 as unnecessary ballast. Now, as it is required in Finland for all bikes after 1974 I'd need to put one back.

Looking at the vertical tube up front there is a slot that I believe is for the steering lock. What else do I need? Some googling suggested that this would work: http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10001810&lang=en but would I also need some other parts? To me it seems that there is just a slot in the bike..

Thanks,
Offline Kyytsis

Re: Steering / fork lock installation
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:35:44 am »
Thanks, I guess the plastic part is not have-to-have? I just need this for inspection/MOT :)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:40 am »
That should do it. There's also a plastic cover that goes over the lock assembly. No longer available from Honda. CSMNL may have one.

Yamiya's got the cover in chrome for... gulp... $50.

(May have to have one)   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »
I think without the cover the lock mechanism can be pulled out or might fall out when it's unlocked.
The lockcover is pretty flimsy plastic (except the chrome replacement one is metal) and couldn't be relied on to hold the locking mechanism.

Hence, for the bolt to come out the key must be in. Once the key is withdrawn the bolt is fast in either the locked or unlocked position.

OCICBW, I'll check mine soon.

PS: Perhaps I should double check is this what goes on a K7 Euro?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Kyytsis

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
Thanks, and if anyone has a picture... I'd really like to see what I'm aiming for.

Thanks
Offline Kyytsis

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:14 am »
Previous owner says he grinded the lock off the bike... Shi... I wonder what has been removed. I'd really need a picture I could compare to my bike to see if this is doable or do I need to find alternatives.

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:32:23 am »
Now, as it is required in Finland for all bikes after 1974 I'd need to put one back.

In Germany, we are required to have A lock. Meaning that you can carry a bicycle lock and present it at the inspection :)

I've shot a pic of my steering lock - it's an aftermarket part, I think that PO installed. My bike's a 550 but you should get the picture :)

Hopefully your bike's PO didn't lose the key and just grinded off the the rivet...

Cheers
Carsten
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:24:09 am by Fritz »
1976 CB550F

bollingball

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:19 am »
Hello,

The previous owner (yes, I can still blame him for everything :) ) removed the steering lock from my K7 as unnecessary ballast. Now, as it is required in Finland for all bikes after 1974 I'd need to put one back.

Looking at the vertical tube up front there is a slot that I believe is for the steering lock. What else do I need? Some googling suggested that this would work: http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10001810&lang=en but would I also need some other parts? To me it seems that there is just a slot in the bike..

Thanks,
I'm sorry a K7 what a 750?
Ken

Offline Kyytsis

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:16:49 am »
Hello,
Yes - a 750k7.

Friz - thanks for the picture. I see some remains on that on the left hand side on the bike, but there is no "tube" to put the lock into. Crap. Need to investigate if A lock would do.

Thanks,
Offline Kyytsis

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:42 am »
This is all I have on my bike.

Any ideas? It's like a keyhole...

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:47 am »
What safety purpose could it serve to mandate a steering lock? Sounds like Finland is confusing bikes with guns.
Are you certain this is the letter of the law, or is some inspection station misinterpreting a statute?

Offline Kyytsis

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 12:43:36 am »
Bets me, but this is just one of the things that often make me think that Finland is actually a lost Soviet state "Absurdnia".

Steering locks are so easy to break that I don't really think they prevent theft.

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 06:17:22 am »
Bets me, but this is just one of the things that often make me think that Finland is actually a lost Soviet state "Absurdnia".

Well, I wouldn't be so harsh. Germany's law is very clear about it: "A vehicle must be secured to prevent abuse by unauthorized persons."

You don't need to be a Nobel prize winner to see why we have this law.
1976 CB550F

Offline Kyytsis

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »
To close the case;

I got a new lock http://www.storm-motor.fi/mp-tarvikkeet-ja-yleisosat/tarvikkeet/lukot/ohjauslukot/ohjauslukko-honda/
A lock frame http://www.storm-motor.fi/mp-tarvikkeet-ja-yleisosat/tarvikkeet/lukot/ohjauslukot/ohjauslukon-kotelo/
A cover, a pin for the cover and a return spring for the lock.

I had to grind some remains of the old lock first away. Then I cut the frame of the new lock to right length and welded that to the bike. Now it is all good and working. Not difficult, but requires access to some basic tools like a welder and a good angle grinder.

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 01:39:01 pm »
A welder is a basic tool? In the US, most people can't even figure out how to use a nail clipper.