Author Topic: ManxGP  (Read 14365 times)

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
Re: ManxGP
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 03:41:39 pm »
stick him in a box and post him to alex ,he will be there in time for the racing .

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »
stick him in a box and post him to alex ,he will be there in time for the racing .

LOL
Time to Fed-Ex....!

Regards,
A
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »
GZ was @ Mosport (& did some laps on my sidecar) on the weekend. ;D ;D ;D

He's due to head for the USA the end of the month.  Not sure how that would work.  Does he have a twin? ???
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »
Your's is a fake Brian, the real one is on vacation in Europe. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 04:49:58 pm »
Your's is a fake Brian, the real one is on vacation in Europe. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)

Pretty sure that's a body double you've got there Sam. ;)  The one I took for a ride was carrying the infamous piston is his left hand. ;D ;D ;D ;D
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »
Does he have a twin? ???
Godzilla took the North American portion of his world tour last year. The fellow you met was his twin, Lefty. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:18 am »
That's right Scott, it's not his twin though, Brian has one of his offspring, he did a lot of sleeping around on his first tour of the USA and Canada. ;D All his offsprings have a piston in the left hand.  ;)

Here is the real Godzilla in my office with piston in right hand.

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 02:55:32 pm »
Well made it safe back from the Isle. Man what I week we've had. Finally chance to meet some great people in life, but also missed out on some, mainly due to traffic and a very tight timeframe for making it to and from the boat/Eurotrain and a 650mile ride. Sorry Sam and Nick, really hope we can make it up in the near future! ;) Glad that I talked to Colin and Simon and his lovely family! Also some other great folks, but forgot some names because went a lot thru my head that day! Very, very nice meeting up with Alex and Lee at Darvill Racing HQ in Castletown and meeting Alex's lovely wife, daughter and of course Ms. Darvill. Was very honored by that.
Went out to Jurby full of expectations and man did we live up to them....rode two sessions on both Darvill SOHC bikes.
Sessions where short due to the great number of people riding and hardly got a chance to get familiair with the bikes, but man did I have a smile underneath my helmet ;D ;D

Will show some pic's here shortly bit have a few hundred pic's to go thru. BTW bought a very nice picture of me riding the Spondon framed bike! Will make a pic of it when arrived. If I get a chance at it want to ride again at Jurby and bring my own bikes over too, 'cause never experienced a festival like that. What great atmosphere!!

Also visited the Joey Dunlop, King of the Mountain, memorial. Made me a bit emotional.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:10:47 pm by voxonda »
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »
It was great to have you all over here. Rob.
You and your family will always be welcome!

Regards,
Alex
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:15 am »
Found and bought this picture taken at the Jurby festival.

Offline Farcombehall

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »
I am really sad to be leaving the IOM. Jess and I had a great 2 weeks helping Col Stockdale and his mighty CB500. We were really proud to be part of Col's effort. He finished 15th and was the first 500/4 home, about 6 minutes ahead of the D&M entered  bike. (which looked lovely) Unfortunately the Davies Motorsport entered  bike did not qualify.
Col did one lap on his magnificent new Davies framed bike before deciding the handling was not up to scratch. With luck, or good planning, Col had taken his old "nail" over as a backup. This is basically the same bike he rode, when he last competed in the Manx GP. ( from 1981 until 1986) She had been retired from racing after competing at Chimay last month. (he finished 5th in the 1981 Newcomers race on this bike)
Col averaged over 88mph for the 4 lap,151 mile race. His race time, including a pit stop, was 1hr 42 minutes 52.26 seconds, with a fastest lap of just over 90mph. He had built this engine for Phillip Island, Australia in 2011 and had used it all last season and this season so far. What a fantastic effort!!!

I will try and post some photos tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:02:15 pm by Farcombehall »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 01:38:47 pm »
Shame I couldn't make it to the paddock on Monday due to the very bad weather, would have loved it to take a look at Col's Davies bike. It had some issue's at the scrutineering, isn't it? To much sideplay on the swing? Hope to catch up with Colin soon.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Farcombehall

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2012, 02:11:14 pm »
I forgot to mention Dave Roberts' (Specweld) success at the Ramsey Sprint. He managed to retain the winners trophy for the 2nd year running in the 500 class on his 400/4, just beating his 2011 time of 8.5 seconds. His 1975 bike, which he rode in the 1978, 79 & 80 Manx GP's looked sensational.

Hopefully my able and beautiful assistant Jess, will be able to put photos or footage on here tomorrow.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2012, 08:15:31 am »
It was fantastic to finally meet you too Rob and Alex, great o put faces to names and enjoy an all too brief chat. Glad you loved the island, it's a really special place. Can't thank Alex enough for his words of wisdom through the week that kept me from panicking! Also great rides from some old mates - Col of course, Ken Davis, Dean Martin and Alec Whitwell. A really special week... ;)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline NickO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2012, 06:18:07 am »
Well done guys, glad you all had a great time.

Anyone know what happened the Davies Motorsport 500/4 that Chris McGhan was riding? I know it didn't qualify, but anyone know why?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:24 am »
It was fantastic to finally meet you too Rob and Alex, great o put faces to names and enjoy an all too brief chat. Glad you loved the island, it's a really special place. Can't thank Alex enough for his words of wisdom through the week that kept me from panicking! Also great rides from some old mates - Col of course, Ken Davis, Dean Martin and Alec Whitwell. A really special week... ;)

gee man, bike runs at last !!!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:04 am »

gee man, bike runs at last !!!
My thought too. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:22 am »
doesn't look like its running , could have just rolled it down bray hill !

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2012, 11:20:44 am »
doesn't look like its running , could have just rolled it down bray hill !
Bray Hill's not that steep it'd roll 24 miles to Ramsey!
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »
well done simon !

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2012, 01:38:52 pm »
well done simon !
Cheers Simon - one small step and all that (bless you Neil Armstrong) and one day I too will do a full closed roads lap and maybe go flat in top down Bray  ;D

Looking on the bright side, it's shaken down quite a list of problems that my one mile of Donington never did before the alternator shorted (surprise!) so it's been worthwhile all round and the experience on top was icing on the cake. I now have a list of minor mods to keep me busy over the winter months and a couple of minor engineering/ignition challenges to stretch my brain over too - all improving the DOHC crank in an SOHC solution. I also have a growing list of suppliers I wouldn't buy off again thanks to poor engineering and a growing list of fantastic suppliers who really helped me get there, amongst them our very own Sage of the Spanners, Mike Rieck who once again proved himself to be a true gentleman.

Can't recommend the parade lap enough if you have a 30 year old bike, it's a great experience. Not cheap if the bike is not road legal because of the transport costs but for me it was well worth the sacrifices to get there.
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »
Next year then Simon..?
Maybe there is a way to get the bike over in one of our vans if the timing suits, this might help with the cost (just thinking out loud).

I think i might use the RSC this time, at least the gears will be on the proper side..!

Regards,
Alex
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »
Very cool catching up on all the news guys.

Rob, you look like a regular rock star at the Jurby festival with all the spectators in the background. Plus we can see the smile on your face.  ;D

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2012, 11:14:22 pm »
Very cool catching up on all the news guys.

Rob, you look like a regular rock star at the Jurby festival with all the spectators in the background. Plus we can see the smile on your face.  ;D

To be honest I did feel a bit like a star.....LOL! Really had the time of my life during the (too) short rides! Cannot thank Alex enough! That smile stayed on for a good part of the day, I can tell you!

Cheers mate.

Rob

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2012, 04:11:03 am »
That's true Brent, Rob had a huge grin when we met up at Jurby, think he was definitely having fun :-)

Next year I'd love to do it Alex but I've already been told the girls will not come over so I need to find a self starting bike in the interim and then it might be game on! Will keep you posted in the interim of course  ;)

What about you Rob, next year?
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE