Author Topic: 1971 Honda CB350 - First Motorcycle  (Read 4515 times)

Offline SirNovak

1971 Honda CB350 - First Motorcycle
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:12:18 am »
Hey guys!
My name is SirNovak, I'm new to the forum and to the world of Motorcycles.
I've been wanting one for a long time now, and finally have some cash saved up, and with winter around the corner people are selling their bikes a little cheaper to free up some room in their garage for the colder months.

I found the bike I want.
Its a 1971 Honda CB350.
Less then 8k miles on it.
Everything is original.

Here is a picture.

Cosmetically it looks great.
I know it has a few problems though, carbs need to be cleaned, not sure how bad they are quite yet, but I'm going to see it tomorrow.
He also said that the sparkplug thread was stripped.
I know this could be a real problem if its damaged the cylinder.
These are the only two problems he was aware of, he told me they took it to a honda dealer to see what was wrong with it, but didn't want to put any more money into it considering they were just gunna sell it.

Anyway, I'm gunna take some pictures tomorrow and post them up here.
He is asking $1000.00 OBO
I'm hoping I can get it for between 700-900.

Any advice would really be helpful!
Glad to be on the forum!

Offline johnny

• Hot Shot
Re: 1971 Honda CB350 - First Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 06:53:18 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Soon you will learn the biggest lie ever told is "the carbs just need cleaning". I'd be concerned about the stripped sparkplug thread / cylinder.
I have a '72 CB350 that I love. It is mostly stock and is a blast to ride around the city. Depending on your size and where you plan to ride, a 350 may be a bit underpowered.
How are your wrenching skills? If you lack the ability to dig in to this bike and get her running, I'd pass. Just my opinion...
1976 CB550K
1974 CB350F http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81781.0
1974 CB550K
1972 CB350 Twin
1965 Lambretta
196(?) Honda S90
1975 Ford Bronco

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:34 am »
Seems a little steep for a non-runner. 

As mentioned "it only needs a carb cleaning" is the biggest bunch of BS since "I'll pull out in time".  :)

If the spark plug hole in the head is stripped, it's an easy, although not trivial, repair.  The head would need to come off, I believe, to safely install a HeliCoil.  The HeliCoil itelf will cure the problem forever, but again, I think the head needs to come off.  Which isn't hard, if you're an experienced enough mechanic and have a manual to follow, but there you go.

By the way, those exhaust pipes are not original.  They're nice enough, and will be fine, but they're not the originals.  Overall, though, it sure is a sweet looking bike.

I dunno...   If you're a beginner, and are just getting your first bike, I'm thinking you may want to hold off and get one that's ready to go.  You're going to have your hands full enough learning to ride, etc. without having to learn mechanics (if that's where your skill level is) into the bargain.

Once you're a more experienced rider, etc. then think about getting a vintage bike that needs some work.

OTOH, if your mechanic ability is there, you have routine tools, can use 'em, arent' trying to do this in your apartment complex's parking lot and all that, I don't think it'd be TOO much of a challenge.  I mean, there are carb-cleaning tutorials out the ying-yang out there.  Same with pulling the head.

Good luck, whichever way you go, and I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Kirk
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:12:19 am by kirkn »

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:50:04 am »
That's a Nice CB350K3;I have a CB350K4 that has that same exact color scheme and I really love her.  ;D
I recommend removing the top end to do the Heli-coil or Time-sert(much better insert) repair to your spark plug threads and I also recommend replacing both cam chain tensioner rollers at the same time..,the original rubber rollers will start chipping apart and fill your oil passages up w/ bit's of rubber.
 My bike runs great after replacing them w/ PA6 Polymide rollers from the man from Poland on Ebay whose handle is "Pawelzak".
                                                                          Excellent CB350..,Nice Find !  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:58:37 am »
priced way too high for a non runner with the "two" problems.  If it didnt have any problems and ran, 1000.00 would be a good/decent deal.
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:30 am »
priced way too high for a non runner with the "two" problems.  If it didnt have any problems and ran, 1000.00 would be a good/decent deal.
+1 on price...; over $650 is pushing it.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.