Author Topic: Any chopper guys here? Need help I.D.'ing a plunger frame,please  (Read 9246 times)

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
I picked up this bike last weekend. The PO was calling it an Amen Savior frame but I dont think it is. It doesnt 100 % match any of the aftermarket frames that I know of either. I'm still searching the frame looking for some sort of number or stamping,but no luck so far. One buddy told me it should have a number on the plunger tower,but no luck there. So,does it look familiar to you? :)What is it?

SANY0140 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0152 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0136 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0135 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Any chopper guys here? Need help I.D.'ing a plunger frame,please
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:12:29 am »
Probably Santee or ..GMA..as far as I know the GMA..aka The Machine Shop, had a gooseneck at the neck area. Its not a Jammer or savior..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:16 am »
also it could be a "All Souls"  Paughco frame. or a santee,gma.like 754 posted .but it is definitely
not a amen frame here is a picture of a savior frame

I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:00:17 am »
It looks like a frame from a place called "THE MACHINE SHOP"

It is the last one on the page on the Honda Chopper Garage webpage.

Your frame has had a lot of custom molding done so it hides the true identity of the frame but I think it is this one.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:02:33 am »
 Lucky, look close at the neck on the one you mention, they were gooseneceked, I do believe. for a while I had a Kawi 900 chopper in a Gooseneck plunger frame..fun bike..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »
Thanks guys. I agree,definitely not an Amen. By GMA i assume ya'll are talking about GME? or is there another company called GMA? This whole chopper thing is all new to me. I have been talking about this with a couple buds and we're thinking it was GME/Machine Shop. In this ad for GME  it says they were a dealer for Machine Shop products. Were they always one and the same,or could this bike be one or the other?

I'd really like to know all about this bike. Maybe even find some of the past owners. PO I got it from brought it up here ( Virginia) from Florida. Best I can tell it has a State assigned VIN from Michigan. I'd love to know the history on this bike. Not that I think it's a big deal bike or anything,just out of curiosity. Thank for the help so far guys. Keep posting these old chopper pics. I love 'em. This bike has me wanting to chop my Cafe! ;)

GME frame by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »
 It is GME (GMA made Brakes ).. I thenk GME took over from Machine shop, the frame I had was goosenecked..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »
I wish this one was a gooseneck.Man,those goose necks look sweet!

BYW,any helpful tints for riding this thing or setting it up would be much appreciated. That might sound dumb but I am a bit apprehensive about the handling. What can I except from this front end? It's 10 over and a 40 degree rake. It needs new tires,what would be best there? Any particular size or style that handles best?

Offline Brantley

• Drano
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
Do a search on AEE choppers. Looks like one of the few that offered a moulded frame; not sure if they had a plunger. Looks as if your bike came from the same K1 donor judging by the taillight, top triple, and gauges. Maybe that's a clue? Definitely doesn't look cobbled together last week. Either way- subscribed. Super cool find.

Offline splitt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 08:13:56 pm »
Definitely not an Amen or home built frame. I have to agree that it looks like a GME/Machine Shop frame with extra molding added on. See if you can find anything stamped on the inside of the down tubes.

Nice Find.

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
Inside of the down tubes-im on it. Thanks man. I looked all over the rear spring towers,but dont see any numbers. I looked at my oil tank and its a dead match to the oil tank in the GME ad. Pretty sure thats it. Thanks guys,for the help and the comps :D Much appreciated. Hope it can get this thing going before all the pretty weather is gone!

Offline xnewmanx

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:28:31 am »
Whoa that thing is awesome.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 05:24:35 am »
Nice looking chop.
You might want to join on  http://hondachopper.com/ also because there is an unlimited supply of info over there 
That frame is also known as a SWINGTAIL frame nothing close to the AMEN SAVIOR.. Measure the trail before you ride it, from the picture it looks like it is close to 0 degrees and you need to be somewhere between +3 and +6", a  negative trail will make it UNSAFE to ride.
If you come over to HC.com you'll find that we have a get together every year at Ferguson, NC at a place called RIDERS ROOST. All CB750s are welcome!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 04:26:32 pm »
Nice looking chop.
You might want to join on  http://hondachopper.com/ also because there is an unlimited supply of info over there 
That frame is also known as a SWINGTAIL frame nothing close to the AMEN SAVIOR.. Measure the trail before you ride it, from the picture it looks like it is close to 0 degrees and you need to be somewhere between +3 and +6", a  negative trail will make it UNSAFE to ride.
If you come over to HC.com you'll find that we have a get together every year at Ferguson, NC at a place called RIDERS ROOST. All CB750s are welcome!!

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

How could you possibly tell what the trail is by looking at an internet photo???

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »
Thanks Xnavy. I've been to hondachopper,but it seems to run extremely slow on my 'puter for some reason???? I dont even know what trail is. Rake,yes,but trail...not a clue. What is it and how do I check it?

Also,didnt notice it when I picked it up,but the whole front end is ceramic coated. I dig the fact that the pipes are coated,but not a big fan of the fake chrome everywhere else. Thinking of powder coating the whole front end gloss black:upper and lower tree,head lite ears,fork brace and sliders. Cant decide if it would be a good contrast to the remaining real chrome,or if it would just look murdered out and blaaaah.....

Offline splitt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »
I dont even know what trail is. Rake,yes,but trail...not a clue. What is it and how do I check it?

Right here: http://www.choppersaustralia.com/definitions.html

3/4 of the way down the page, under "Modifications and Equipment".

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:09:16 pm »
Ahh,trail is caster! Thanks split. Looks like I got some measuring to do now.  :) But to be honest,if it's off I'm not sure theres much I can do about it at this point. At 40 degrees of rake and using stock triples I'd have to guess there is some inherent trail to this setup.

Thanks for the info guys. Im 100% new to this whole chopper thing. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!