Author Topic: CB750 belly pan oil tank  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Jonny Rock-it

CB750 belly pan oil tank
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:24:36 pm »
So I'm currently working on my CB550 build, but alreadly looking on to my next built...a CB750. I love the 750 but hate the oil tank, would there be a way a belly pan could be made to work as an oil tank?
Everyone Pities the weak, Jealousy must be earned

Offline cougar

• Hot Shot
  • Stamping Ground, Kentucky U.S.A.
Re: CB750 belly pan oil tank
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:19 pm »
Jonny ; Not really, unless your belly pan is above the oil pan  ???. The oil is fed to the oil pump with gravity which is why it's in the tank above the oil pan. Simplest answer I can give. Others?    ...cougar...     
I'm not prejudice, I'll weld anything that pays! Knowledge that is shared is Never Lost!!   Right is right, wrong is wrong! The truth is the truth and a lie is a lie! DEAL WITH IT ACCORDINGLY !!!   I HATE "DIAL-UP"

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
I dont see why not. The tank does gravity feed,but I dont think the pick up sump of the pump depends on it. I was having trouble finding a spot on a Cb750 Im building to mount an oil tank and considered this same idea. I was just gonna get a spacer machined to lower the stock pan and then lower the sump back into the pan. You would also need to install a bung of some sort to install a dipstick/filler tube. I scrapped the idea due to ground clearance concerns.
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:46:29 am »
The oil pump is made of two separate sides, one scavenges oil from the dry sump back to the oil tank. This side does not depend on gravity.

The other side is the one that provides oil pressure to all the engine internals, this side is fed by gravity from the oil tank. It has no provision to scavenge oil, so like Cougar said unless your oil tank is above the oil pump it will run dry.

Baja native.