Author Topic: 1975 cb750 parts for a 72 cb750  (Read 728 times)

Offline Itwillbefun

1975 cb750 parts for a 72 cb750
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:05:36 pm »
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, as you can see it's my first post! I will soon be starting a project page for my 1972 cb750 cafe build, but in the mean time I'm trying to learn all I can in a short time. I'm in the market for parts, and upon perusing craigslist I've come across a great donor bike which has several things I need, but as you probably guessed from my title, it's a '75. Will many of these work for mine? I was looking at a cafe seat it has, working carbs, and the rear break drum.

From my understanding, the motor should be the same until 1978-79? So I'm assuming (ok, hoping) the carbs will transfer nicely. But I know mine's a K2 frame and I can't for the life of me find the difference.

Thank you for the future help, and I really look forward to becoming apart of this community. Keep a look out in the classifieds because I'm going to be throwing some parts up for dirt cheap or trade to help any of you out with your projects.

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
Re: 1975 cb750 parts for a 72 cb750
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »
You should be able to use all of the parts you mention on your bike.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline Itwillbefun

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:23:24 pm »
Awesome, thanks so much tugboat.

Offline mcuozzo

• Hot Shot
  • Bottle in front of me or frontal labotomy?
    • 77 CB750K - needs total rebuild
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »
Yeah the frames are not too different.  There are however a bunch of parts on a K2 that are different than a K5.  The fork lowers and therefore the fenders and caliper mounting brackets are different.  The gauges, ignition bracket (location?) and I think the seat mounts differently, maybe it's just the lock. There are more but I'm not that knowledgeable and can't remember crap

That being said what Tugboat said is correct.  You can use the motor and carbs, which was your question.  The motors are the same until the 77/78's for the K bikes, than the output shaft is longer and they changed to the 630 chain and sprockets.  The Later f motors - 77/78 also have some internal differences - valves maybe???  I've seen early carbs on late bikes and vice versa.   A lot of people have to use what they can get their hands on.  Myself included.

The rear hub\brake setup is pretty much the same until, again, you get to the 77/78's.  Then the sprocket carrier is wider (10mm?) to much the longer output shaft. 

It all depends on what you're doing.  If you have a partially complete K2 and you are going to cafe it and just need some parts from the K5 you should be ok.

Is one bike more complete than the other?  Are both titled?  Are you worried about the parts being correct for the year? To me you need to answer those questions because if the 75 is pretty complete and titled I would build that into a cafe, and sell the K2 parts as they sell for more $$$.

If you sell one of the frames (and it's titled) I'd be interested.  I have a bunch of parts to trade, especially if you are going to keep the K2 stockish.  I have a very nice fender and a restored caliper\bracket (that is in the for sale section a few pages down). 

And oh yeah, we like pics, got any???

Good luck and welcome to the madness,

Matt
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:08:20 pm by mcuozzo »

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:12:51 pm »
Welcome to the best place to be for HONDA sohc/4 info.............but take the above advice with a small exception......fork lowers, front fender, the wiring harness, handlebar switches, the grab-bar at the back of the seat, the turn-signal housings, and the original handlebar height are all different........but can be made to work on a K2.  Now, regarding your cafe build.......any aftermarket items on a K5 chassis will also fit a K2.......just be aware that certain light-conversions may not install as instructed for the K5.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Itwillbefun

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:09:49 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tutelage.

Is one bike more complete than the other?  Are both titled?  Are you worried about the parts being correct for the year? To me you need to answer those questions because if the 75 is pretty complete and titled I would build that into a cafe, and sell the K2 parts as they sell for more $$$.

He's parting the entire thing out, I don't think I'll be grabbing the entire lot for $900, seeing as I just bought the 72 bike the other day! ha, I wish.
Mine isn't actually titled, his is. Sad day.

I'll try to start getting build thread going with some pictures in the next week or so, once I have more of an Idea the direction I'm going. So far I just stripped it yesterday and begun to sand the rust spots out in prep for a repaint.

I'll have to leave y'all with this...before tear down with tank, seat, and headlight assembly already off. Then after, with the sanding started. Yep, it's more like a apartment back patio build than a cafe build..  ;)