Author Topic: CB750 Neutral switch  (Read 7185 times)

alan calvert

CB750 Neutral switch
« on: May 12, 2005, 07:51:18 am »
I have read somewhere on these hallowed forums that it is possible to exchange the netral switch while the engine is still in the frame. From memory I also think you have to be careful to ensure some gizmo inside does not move across. Can anyone help please?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
Re: CB750 Neutral switch
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:25:26 am »
Yep, all you have to do is remove the little metal tab holding it into the engine and it will pull straight out, just narrowly missing the frame rail.

As for the part inside the motor, I'm not sure about that....
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline Patrick

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:33:34 am »
The part inside the motor would be the shift drum. The ball on the end of the neutral light switch fits into a depression on the shift drum. When the ball is in the depression the idle light comes on. I don't think the drum will move much if you pull the switch. The shift forks should hold it in place. Don't, however, test this hypothesis. I could be wrong about movement potential. Undo the screw holding the tab and the switch pulls straight out. Mind the placement of the tab and the switch when you pulkl them. They only go in one way and have to go back the same way lest you have no idle light and a nasty oil leak.
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 02:54:20 pm »
hi i have succesfully removed and replaced my neutral light switch, all you do is undo the wire going to your switch and the retaining bolt take out your old switch and pop in your new one  ;) mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:38:58 pm »
 ;D
HI .
All the above is correct. Protect eyes from oil.

Get your hands on a pair of long nosed pliers and gently insert ther points into two of the four holes in the botttom of the switch.

Squeeze and pull the switch out. It will come.

When out look at the seal. It should be Ok. Grease with vaseline and clean the neutral switch with some form of spirit.

But what ever you do .DO NOT PUSH THE BALL DOWN before you clean it.
Your going to get a face full of #$%*ty OIL.!! There is hardly anything to go wrong.
Replace gently, but do not touch the gear change lever whilst this is being done.

Dave Australia.