Author Topic: What would you read... 74' CB750  (Read 884 times)

Offline Entropy

• First time, be gentle..
What would you read... 74' CB750
« on: August 20, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »
... if you were a total motorcycle beginner, and had endless time to dream/obsess over your first motorbike. I just bought it a month ago, a 1974' CB750 after about 2 years of obsessing and finally saving up the $2,500 it cost me. I love it more than anything I have ever owned, and I want to learn more about how to take good care of it.

Unfortunately, I just slipped a disc in my lower back at work, and have been unable to walk for the past 3 weeks. Needless to say this was a pretty hard pill to swallow, because all I want to do is ride/stare at it. I also foresee a much longer stay on my floor, so if anyone has any suggestions as to what to study or read (besides this awesome forum), and how to learn more about this fantastic machine, let me know! I have DL'd the shop manuals, but they just seem like hieroglyphics to me.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this post, I certainly have a great deal of respect for all the helpful individuals who post here.

-Eddie

At least I know I don't know #$%*.

1974' CB750

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What would you read... 74' CB750
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »
First off, welcome. Sorry to hear about your back. 

Start off by reading the owners manual. That will get you familiar with the bike and it's features. Will also give you an introduction to the maint that will be needed.  (I'm assuming that since you paid $2500, it's in good running cond. 

And also read here, a lot of good info...

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/cb750/

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline kerryb

• Not a very
  • Expert
  • 78 750k 74 cb550k, '83GL1100 FXSTC, 1979 Wilmac
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »
Eddie,  I would like to recommend Hondaman's book "My CB 750"...  it is a wonderful read even if you don't need to fix anything yet.  The background stories and the workings of our carburetors are a valuable insight into these bikes.  (really good pictures too).

Good luck getting you back healed so you can ride it.
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »
Welcome. Sure the bike in the picture is a 74 ?  If the tank etc is stock it kinda looks like the 1975 Apricot Red. Post up the frame and engine #"s sometime just for kicks.

Looked at your pic again and your tank petcock looks to be on the '75' side.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:29:04 am by ekpent »

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:37:22 am »
Entropy - Welcome to the forum!  Sorry to hear about your back.

As far as rebuilds go, definitely would recommend Hondaman's book.  Here's a link - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=65293.0 It has a ton of info, great pictures, and reads more like a book than a manual.  It's a tad expensive but worth every penny.

Outside of maintenance manuals, there are several books out there about CB750's.  John Wyatt's "Original Honda CB750" and Mark Haycock's "Honda CB750 The Complete Story" are both really good.  I've yet to see a book that covers the later 77/78K models well, though.  HTH, get well soon!