Author Topic: Harness Ground Question  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
Harness Ground Question
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:50:13 pm »
1973 CB500.

Can anyone describe for me how the harness "green wire" grounds to the frame, as in where it makes the physical connection to ground?

I moved all my electronics and I noticed there is one green wire off the main harness that is not connected to anything. It's a female blade type connector with a cover. It is NOT the wire for regulator, that one is accounted for.

It's possible that when I took all the electrical apart over a year ago that I lost whatever this connects to and it occurred to me that I know of no other place where the green wire hits the frame. It would be easy for me to connect this to the frame, if that is indeed what I am supposed to do with it.

I suppose I could look at my '78 550, although I'm afraid it might be different, plus the PO made some "custom improvements" to that harness.  ::)

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Harness Ground Question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:17 pm »
I do not own a CB500, but all the early 750's have an extra ground wire in the area you described. I think that is what you have there.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:19 pm »
550 has the extra green behind the flasher relay also.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »
Oh yeah, I just saw that on my 550. Didn't know it was a feature. 

So how does the harness connect to the frame? What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:52:07 pm by Goldbug »

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
I honestly cannot remember connecting a green wire to the frame when I put my harness on. Is it at the coils possibly?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:52:55 pm »
Yeah, somewhere else on the harness (I only took the main harness out) or through another component like the alternator or coils or something. I had that thought. I guess we will find out when I turn the key for the first time tomorrow.

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:02:00 pm »
I have not used a stock harness, But kinda remembering taking the harness off there is a pigtail ground in the headlight bucket that one coming back an bolts  to the 10mm that holds the coils in place
after rereading could it be the regulator green is the blade a 90 degree
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »
No, it's not the regulator green, that is accounted for.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:37:39 pm »
Yeah, somewhere else on the harness (I only took the main harness out) or through another component like the alternator or coils or something. I had that thought. I guess we will find out when I turn the key for the first time tomorrow.
The harness is grounded at the coil mount.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »
Ah, I never touched anything up there. Thanks.

If all goes well she should be up and running tomorrow.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 03:40:18 pm »
Extra green is for diferent market 3 contact flasher cans, main ground is big wire battery to rear engine mount---MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PAINT EITHER SIDE OF MOUNT WHERE IT CONNECTS TO CABLE AND MOTOR CASTING.

Small grounds are inside headlamp shell and by coils
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »
I honestly cannot remember connecting a green wire to the frame when I put my harness on. Is it at the coils possibly?

On a CB750 the ground for the harness is on the rear bolt for the battery box mount.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 03:49:57 pm »
Although this is a 500 Lucky.   ;)

bollingball

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »

On a CB750 the ground for the harness is on the rear bolt for the battery box mount.

Lucky Did you read the OP it is NOT a 750. Stay Focused

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:08:59 pm »
The 750s had the harness grounded at the coil mount.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »
My 750 K0 had a ground wire attached under the seat where the latch bolts on. The 750 F1 has it near the coils.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.