Author Topic: R.C. Performance Parts Exhaust too loud :-(  (Read 10084 times)

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
R.C. Performance Parts Exhaust too loud :-(
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »
Hi all,

I have a full exhaust from R.C. and it sounds great. The issue is....It's honestly a bit loud, even with the baffle. The baffle appears to be straight through and appears to twist a bit. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this pipe setup that may be able to shed some light. Could there have been packing in there at one time? Could I potentially repack or pack it and get it to go down just a few decibels? Don't get me wrong either, I like the loud pipe, just not quite as loud as this  8)

Here's a few detailed photos of the setup.

Thanks for looking,
-Keith

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
Re: R.C. Performance Parts Exhaust too loud :-(
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:10:36 pm »
With the baffle out, is there any insulation wrapped around the baffle ?  If not you need to wrap some around it to bring the decibels down to a comfortable level.  Fiberglass mat works real good and is cheap.   ;)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:15:45 pm »
With the baffle out, is there any insulation wrapped around the baffle ?  If not you need to wrap some around it to bring the decibels down to a comfortable level.  Fiberglass mat works real good and is cheap.   ;)

Currently there is no fiberglass in there at all. I wasn't sure if this setup came the any or if it was just a pass through baffle. It's crazy how loud this thing is. Louder than my buddies Mac with no baffle...So you're saying just wrap it around with fiberglass mat?? Is this something I can get pretty much anywhere? I've never packed a pipe so this is kinda new. I'm trying to make sure I don't do something silly and catch the bike on fire haha.

-Keith

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:53:36 pm »
Ooooooh, the header is RC as well?  Or is that an RC muffler on a Super Sport header?  Looks beautiful...wanna trade for a Hooker 4-1 :D

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »
Ooooooh, the header is RC as well?  Or is that an RC muffler on a Super Sport header?  Looks beautiful...wanna trade for a Hooker 4-1 :D
As far as I know it's an rc header. However I've never seen another to compare to. Google barely even returns anything. Found a few pics for 750's but no 550's.

Offline Dyrden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »
Any real moto shop will have exhaust packing fiberglass mat.  It wont catch fire.  It shouldnt take you more than a few minutes to wrap that baffle and reinstall it.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »
I'm not sure RC ever made pipes for 550's.  Show us where the muffler meets the header if you could.

P.S. - That points cover is for a 750.

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »
Any real moto shop will have exhaust packing fiberglass mat.  It wont catch fire.  It shouldnt take you more than a few minutes to wrap that baffle and reinstall it.
Well, I guess now is as good a time than ever to get familiar with the shops here in Indy...Since I've moved here I haven't needed much out of them lol.

I'm not sure RC ever made pipes for 550's.  Show us where the muffler meets the header if you could.

P.S. - That points cover is for a 750.

Yeah both sides have the 750 covers, it also has a really unique starter cover I haven't been able to identify as well. Check the pic below, maybe we can solve the mystery of my setup.

From the bottom

This isn't the best pic but it may be useful for someone more knowledgeable in this area.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Keith

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 05:34:23 pm »
Looks to me like an RC muffler on a 550 super sport header.  They look nice together!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »
Looks to me like an RC muffler on a 550 super sport header.  They look nice together!

+1 - Greggo knows his pipes! I have just the opposite problem, 550 header with a Yoshi muffler and it's too quiet.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 05:52:10 pm »
Looks like the muffler is just loosely fit over the collector; might be where a large amount of the noise is coming from??
The fish-eye lens doesn't help much, with all the added distortion, BTW. ;) 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:20 pm »
Looks like I have a little extra research to do now. Time to find out some specs/dims on the header. The more and more I look at everything it feel like the bike has been setup potentially for drag...I base that soley on parts bolted on to the bike. It certainly feels strong and has a really lumpy idle but cracks wildly once the throttle is hit. Too bad the shop I procured this bike from has no info on it of the previous owner :( He did a very nice job on the build. I'm just planning on freshening a few things up.

Here's a full shot of the bike. Who knows...maybe someone will recognize it.

Again, thanks for all the help. It's nice to pick up a few new bits of info :)

-Keith

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 05:57:16 pm »
Looks like the muffler is just loosely fit over the collector; might be where a large amount of the noise is coming from??

Good point!!! I'll check that connection.... Also the pics are taken with my GoPro, they fisheye when close up. I like taking pics with it because it's small and fits everywhere...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 06:01:29 pm »
Other than the bars, what makes you think it was set up for drag?

Great looking bike, BTW
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 06:02:28 pm »
You are right.....that's the noise. Either make a good fitting adaptor or find an original 550F silencer...they were whisper quiet.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 06:13:13 pm »

Good point!!! I'll check that connection.... Also the pics are taken with my GoPro, they fisheye when close up. I like taking pics with it because it's small and fits everywhere...

Hey dude, your forks are seriously bent! ;D
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »
RC made pipes for 500/550! Rare though! Greggo PM me ,mat trade you one outa bat cave for Hooker header! ;) ;D Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »
Other than the bars, what makes you think it was set up for drag?

Great looking bike, BTW

The wheels are kinda odd. They are have HR Industry in the casting and the rear wheel is 16". That mixed with the pipe have kinda made me think this way. I could be dead wrong though...it's purely an assumption. I am going to change the rear setup, it's not terrible but it just isn't my taste.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 06:54:20 pm »

The wheels are kinda odd. They are have HR Industry in the casting

Are you sure that isn't HA, for Henry Abe? He also made big-bore kits.

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »

The wheels are kinda odd. They are have HR Industry in the casting

Are you sure that isn't HA, for Henry Abe? He also made big-bore kits.
You are correct, it says HA, not HR. Here's pic to verify. I've only stumbled across one other set in my searches...no info was given other than what is casted on the wheel.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »
Jackpot!

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »
Jackpot!

I feel like I've hit the jockpot with every clue that gets unwrapped. Seems like I've stumbled across a real gem. I'm not even sure what I want to do with this bike now lol. The stuff I want to change around seems to be the rarest of rare parts....maybe a refinish on a few items is all I need to satisfy my crave for modification haha.

Again, thanks everyone for the help. You guys have really pulled me in and I'm glad I've finally posted vrs lurking.

-Keith

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 07:47:35 pm »
Wow, that tire looks ancient! If it was caused by exposure to the weather, the wheel would look terrible as well. Someone loved that bike, and protected it for many years.

Offline KAO Built

• Do what?
  • CB550
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 07:53:57 pm »
The bike has 9k on the clock...could or couldn't be original, however the title shows the 9k without and odometer issues. The only bit of info I was able to get the shop to tell me was that the motor had been completely gone through by the prior owner. I'm not sure what I can do to tell if the guts are worked over or not. Any suggestions? Also if there is a cam in there will that affect my valve adjustment?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:10 pm »
Wow, that tire looks ancient! If it was caused by exposure to the weather, the wheel would look terrible as well. Someone loved that bike, and protected it for many years.

+1 - put new tires on the top of the list. BTW, how does she run?