Author Topic: Lightened 500/550 Crank & Superods  (Read 15451 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Lightened 500/550 Crank & Superods
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:03:38 pm »
Picked these up today, along with a no name NOS 750 race cam.  What should I look for on the crank and rods when I get my paws on them? 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:09:25 pm by Greggo »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Lightened 500/550 Crank & Superods
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »
Just hope the journals aren't badly rusted. Interesting looking mod to the oil pump.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:24:52 pm »
Just hope the journals aren't badly rusted. Interesting looking mod to the oil pump.

Thanks Bwaller.  The seller was a racer, told me about his Kaz 490 bike (already sold it  :'( ) he told me the journals still looked good to him (I asked specifically).  No idea about the pump.  That wasn't in the bundle I bought.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:27:44 pm »
Is that a permanent magnet rotor on the end of the crank? Does it come with the matching stator?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
Is that a permanent magnet rotor on the end of the crank? Does it come with the matching stator?

I don't think so, but I will ask if he has it. 

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »

How about the piece in the top left corner??

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:00:09 pm »
That sure looks like it might be a stator cover.  8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:54:02 am »
same point as where my tuner friend welds the pick up for the direct oil supply to the head...
that rotor looks to me like a CA72/77 part, being honda, wouldnt be surprised if it got the same taper.

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:51:22 pm »
I seriously doubt that they were balancing those cranks when they modified them back then. If you take the rods off, send it down and I will check it out for you.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 07:28:14 am »
I seriously doubt that they were balancing those cranks when they modified them back then. If you take the rods off, send it down and I will check it out for you.

Thanks Jay!!  I'll have to make sure I can find new rod bolts before I consider taking them off.  If I do, I will definitely take you up on that!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37:31 am »
 Do the rods look like they have been used? if so look for new ones.. I can show you what they look like in 16 pieces, it aint pretty..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:03 am »
Do the rods look like they have been used? if so look for new ones.. I can show you what they look like in 16 pieces, it aint pretty..

I would actually like to see that Frank ;D Was it in your bike, and what was it running, and how hard?? ;D

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »
 It was in a 69 motor bored to 1080, broke a buncha stuff in the cases. The rod bolt IMPRINTED into the crank...The shells straightened out, and bent over like sheetmetal scrap...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »
Ver interesting issue here about the Yoshi rods. Used them on a 750 and rode it for years with no issue's at all. Pops designed them and had them made for engines not bigger than 810. Problem with big pistons is the weight and the stress they put on a rod IMHO.
What do you think?

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 05:48:13 pm »
Those journals look like junk.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:41 pm »
Those journals look like junk.

I'll take some good pics when I get it.  I didn't pay a lot for this stuff, and I'm getting the deeper oil pan, and a NOS 750 HiPo cam, and if the cam is the only good piece of the lot, I still did okay ;)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:12 am »
 There is fast "JUNK" out there.. The guy with the Indian Burt munro ran really fast junk..
 In the antique world, a crappy looking journal that is still round has "oil retention"
 Post pics of cam if you cant ID..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:05 am »
Plenty of used up junk out there I'm sure Frank.  It's a gamble buying some of this stuff unless it's new.  The cam looks funky in the pic, but he (the seller) said it's new underneath thick grease on the lobes...  I'm trying (very slowly) to collect Yoshi parts for a 550 motor build...I have new 10.5:1 550 (.50 over) pistons (w/7 sets of rings ;) ), and a new TT 'B' grind cam so far.  Seems things like the valve springs, intake runners, rods and pretty much anything else are near impossible to find.  These were the first 550 superods I've ever seen, let alone being for sale, so I jumped on 'em.  I figured the crank is at least a cool mantle piece if it's junked, and a great model if I want to try my hand at lightening another.

Anybody know what the Yoshi treatment for the Superods included?  Were they just shotpeened stockers?  Were they much lighter than stock?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 09:42:37 am »
Don't let the pundits get you down, Gregg.
Sounds like you're well on your was with the Yoshi build.
I'd love for you to take the TT came down to Megacycle for copying. :-)
Those rods have Yoshimura cast in the beams, so they're not peened stickers.,
I'd guess alloy from the pics.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 09:52:45 am »
Don't let the pundits get you down, Gregg.
Sounds like you're well on your was with the Yoshi build.
I'd love for you to take the TT came down to Megacycle for copying. :-)
Those rods have Yoshimura cast in the beams, so they're not peened stickers.,
I'd guess alloy from the pics.

Cheers
FJ

Jimmy,

Funny enough, Megacycle already has the specs for all old Yoshimura cams.  I called about having a 750 (supposedly Yosh) cam measured and got to talking with whomever had answered the phone.  Pretty sure this wasn't a secret, and it's old news anyhow, but back in the day Megacycle was making cams for Yoshimura's West Coast, or maybe North American distributor, and they stiffed Megacycle for a bunch of money, so MC decided they would just start selling those grinds on their own to make it back ;D  They'll still make you one, it just won't have the letter stamped on the end...

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 10:14:25 am »
The stator is included!! !!!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:34 am »
I actually never saw a set of those Yosh rods for the 500's, but they would have been as gorgeous new as the 750 rods were. In those days however I didn't think there would be the problems with alloy rods that surfaced later because of large engines. As has been mentioned you never know a certain parts history when you buy them used. It seems though that stock 500 rods are probably better able to handle extra engine power than the 750 rods are. Therefore these Yosh rods may be useable especially if you can replace the bolts?? That said.... you still don't know their history. Decisions, decisions. If you want to sleep well at night Carillo make a beautiful lightweight rod for these engines! ;)

That crank on the other hand, if indeed is showing rusty journals I would never use. If it was the last available crankshaft on earth maybe but like you mentioned it can be a template.

I think you did great and have some cool parts. Good on you for collecting all those Yoshimura goodies, that isn't an easy feat.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »
I actually never saw a set of those Yosh rods for the 500's, but they would have been as gorgeous new as the 750 rods were. In those days however I didn't think there would be the problems with alloy rods that surfaced later because of large engines. As has been mentioned you never know a certain parts history when you buy them used. It seems though that stock 500 rods are probably better able to handle extra engine power than the 750 rods are. Therefore these Yosh rods may be useable especially if you can replace the bolts?? That said.... you still don't know their history. Decisions, decisions. If you want to sleep well at night Carillo make a beautiful lightweight rod for these engines! ;)

That crank on the other hand, if indeed is showing rusty journals I would never use. If it was the last available crankshaft on earth maybe but like you mentioned it can be a template.

I think you did great and have some cool parts. Good on you for collecting all those Yoshimura goodies, that isn't an easy feat.

Yes, if the rods check out okay with my dad's shop partner, I will go ahead and use them...He is a support mechanic at Bonneville, and is a very meticulous mechanical maniac in day-to-day life.  I'm holding off on judging any bearing surfaces until I get the stuff in my hands...I heard from him today, and he's sending it out Tuesday, so I'll have it soon.  The cam in the pic looks used, but he told me it's covered in thick grease...I'm hoping the crank is too, maybe.  Either way, I'm stoked with this stuff. 

Did Yoshimura make racing stators for CB's?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »
Yes Yoshimura made a racing magneto for both 500's & 750's. I checked my old catalogue and it sure looks like that is what you have all right. By the way the price for the magneto was $136.14, the mag cover was 126.83!  ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 03:37:39 pm »
Congrats on the yosh score...
A display coffee table would be cool for them if they are suspect.
Would having them magnefluxed tell you anything on alloy parts like this?
David
David- back in the desert SW!