Author Topic: BUB Speedtrials 2012  (Read 1730 times)

Offline joesmotos

• Enthusiast
BUB Speedtrials 2012
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »
Been a while since i posted in here but i hope everyones doing well.Went out to Bonneville again with the trusty CB360..hit a new high speed of 117.26mph..tons o fun.Gonna enter a vintage record class next year as im real close now..on my last pass i told the starter i felt like i was on the worlds longest dragstrip cause it appears that way when youre sitting out there..hard to describe.Mounted a RS125 Honda upper fairing this year..had to spread it out so there was no room for the lower but i will cut it and re-fiberglass it to fir plus add a tailsection(landspeed style,got the basic shape done but still a ways to go before i can fit it.
Talk about cheap entertainment..
Joe

oh p.s the purple bike is mine the rest are obviously not..
S&S had two vintage LSR bikes on display..gorgeous machines to boot..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:15:16 pm by joesmotos »

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: BUB Speedtrials 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
Wow! 117+ MPH from a 360 is impressive! 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:24:35 pm »
Well done Joe, makes me want to bring out my little Honda again. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Have you seen much of Billy and will you make it to Valdosta in November?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline joesmotos

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:27:42 am »
Havent spoken to Bill in a bit as im out in Colorado..and getting ready to go back out on another job..(gotta make the cash to have some high compression pistons made up for next year)..ha ha

I still have Bills signed Russ Collins pic stashed back in Atlanta,hopefully we can hook up when i get back there sometime late in Oct...Cant say right now about Valdosta but its not outside the realm of reality..when exactly is that?

I do know that the folks at Star Racing in Americus,Ga are helping with the build of the new South Ga. Motorsports facility thats supposed to have a roadracing course and a dragstrip..theres a new place for you guys to head to in the next couple of years.

Yeah the lil Honda was screamin,straight pipes that were obnoxiously loud but if it goes fast no one cares...man you ugys need to go out there Sam...just think..you get to run 8 quarter miles in one shot..lol
And you dont have to have wheelie bars..that Automatic might just be the stuff..good as yall got that thing running i would bet you could get a record...theres some fairly new classifications for national records,its called the *Classic* class..or designated so..for bikes older than 1976..most of the records are open..hint hint.

Me...108mph first pass with a teeny sprocket on back,114mph then 117mph..jetting and gearing swaps and i lowered the bike a tad and tucked the clip ons in as far as i could..gonna try to make a run at sea level eventually and see what it will do as the D/A(density/altitude) on my fast pass was over 6000ft..

And the people are really cool and always like to see the older bikes go fast,everyone has a story..
ok gotta go
Joe

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:10 pm »
Man I would love to go to Bonneville. My cb550 is a 76, does that make the cut or does it have to be older?

Offline joesmotos

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:52:19 pm »
ffj...
The way i read it your 550 would be fine...you dont have to run for a record tho...i was in the *Run Whatcha Brung*..long as the bike passes tech(which is relatively easy)..for 250$ you get two timed runs,and its 50$ a pass afterwards..you have to join the AMA(another 50$)..if you wanted to run in a records class you have to pay more but its unlimited runs..which is probably a better deal if you want to do alot of runs...just because you enter a record class doesnt mean you have to have the fastest bike tho...the tech is a bit more complicated but thats racing..still not a big deal..
You can go to the BUB website or go to the AMA website to get more specifics on the rules..and existing records in each class.
I mentioned running for a record because after perusing the rulebook i realized they had the *Classic* designation and that there were few if any records being set in it..

You could be a new star!

No one would belittle you for not beating some record,believe me,theres plenty of bikes out there that were not looking so good going down the track..as in,they sounded kinda..off tune so to speak.

Just making clean runs consistantly will earn you respect..on top of the fact that you got to run on one of the most famous tracks on earth..lol

Its FUN man...go for it!

p.s dont forget its over 4000ft altitude and your bike wont go as fast as it would at sea level,but then again no ones does so...

You can come hang out in our illustrious pits,i will bring you your own camping chair and youre welcome to sit under my luxurious EZ Up canopy..
later
Joe

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »
I think I would just do the "run whatcha brung" class for my first time out. I should have my bike running by the end of the year *fingers crossed* That would give me plenty of time to sort things out and get it all tuned and jetted. Ill have to read up on the rule book. I would also have to buy some leathers to race in. It sounds like a blast.

Offline joesmotos

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:11:05 am »
Just remember to bring extra gearing and jets and make sure you have enough chain length to adapt to different size sprockets(ask me how i know) ha ha..
I had a guy GIVE me a chain when i fell short..i had just met the man and had been shootin the you know what with him about his bike(he had a SR500 Yamaha ..oh hell i have a pic..think he went 120mph or so.

Anyway..have at it!