Author Topic: cb550 Tapered bearing spacer thickness??  (Read 668 times)

Offline MILO

• Enthusiast
cb550 Tapered bearing spacer thickness??
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:21:47 am »
Howdy,

I've made the silly mistake of throwing the old bearings, I want to put in the tapered bearings the i just got in the mail today.

they came with no instructions :/  so I jumped on here and found that the tapered bearings are a bit thinner, so you are supposed to make up the difference with washers/shims etc.

I no longer have the old bearings to compare them to measure the height difference, does anyone know what sized spacer I'm supposed to put underneath the lower bearing?

thanks,

-Liam

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: cb550 Tapered bearing spacer thickness??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:02 am »
G'Day Liam, did your kit come with a spacer? The taper roller bottom bearing assembly isn't as "tall" as the old bearings, so the better kits have a spacer of around 3-5mm thick, depending on the bearings that they supply. Without the old bearing assembly to measure, you're going to have to do some calculations.

Measure the depth of the bottom steering head bearing cup (a digital vernier is a great tool, but a ruler will work)and subtract the height of the tapered roller assembly. Add 1-2mm for clearance to the balance, and that's the height of the spacer that you'll need. Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MILO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:09:49 am »
Hi Terry,

No they don't come with any, I got them from Pyramid parts...who say they are in Australia, but seem to be from Auckland...

I've measured the depth of the bottom bearing cup, which is 10mm, and the the totaly height of the bearing assembly is 15mm.

So does this mean I need a 4-5mm spacer?

It's probably a fairly obvious answer, but I just want to make sure before I put it all together!

Thanks again,

-Liam

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:44:30 am »
G'Day Liam, well if your bearing assembly is taller than the depth of your bearing cup (yeah?) you won't need a spacer at all mate. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)