Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5435 times)

pepsquad

Re: Hello
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 09:42:44 am »
bike has sat for 17 years now,  good compression can be had out of three cylinders one is not so good. i haven't seen the inside of the cylinders yet. I'm banking right now on them being grooved like crazy.  two of the carbs are frozen solid,  two i was able to disassemble mostly.   with that amount of time sitting i sort of assumed it owuld need new rings, gaskets ect right off the bat.  Sunday i wil hopefully see the inside of the cylinders and can give you a better idea of what is going on, on the inside.

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2006, 10:03:25 am »
Last year when I decided it was time to overhaul my 32,000 mile 550F engine, I was hoping I'd manage with a honing and new rings.

However, when trying to source new rings, I realized Honda no longer sells the standard size, and it was near impossible to find them anywhere else.

So, when I came across the entire kit for $100, I jumped on them.  Honda's price for a single ring set was $40, so $100 for everything was less money anyhow.  I spent extra boring vs. just a hone, but marginally more, and it should be better than a hone anyhow.

Just make sure whoever does the machining on your cylinders knows what they're doing - i.e. don't take it to your local auto mechanic.  Boring small cylinders requires different tools than doing larger engines.

It turned out I had broken rings in cylinder #3 which had deformed the grooves on the piston, so I needed at least the one new piston anyhow.  I've been tempted to pick up another one of the $120 kits just to have around for the future.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2006, 11:11:12 am »
bike has sat for 17 years now,  good compression can be had out of three cylinders one is not so good. i haven't seen the inside of the cylinders yet. I'm banking right now on them being grooved like crazy.  two of the carbs are frozen solid,  two i was able to disassemble mostly.   with that amount of time sitting i sort of assumed it owuld need new rings, gaskets ect right off the bat.  Sunday i wil hopefully see the inside of the cylinders and can give you a better idea of what is going on, on the inside.

You have nothing to lose by getting it to run first.  These engines are tough.  Unless the compression test was grossly off in the one cylinder, a little run use might reseat the bits.  You WILL spend more money if you take it apart before trying it out.  And, if compression doesn't come up with a lille use, then you are facing the same repair as if you take it apart now.
I have a 77CB550 that sat over 12 years.  8000 miles, but poor compression on one cylinder.  Rebuilt the carbs and a 100 mile drive around on new oil had the compression on all four equal.  It's the best running CB550 I have.
However, Carb kits, tires, battery, seat, tank cleaning, etc., will still siphon away money from your budget faster then some people blink.

It's your choice.  But, have fun!

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2006, 11:44:57 am »
I'm curious, what is your background?
 I'm impressed when my wife remembers to turn the on switch before trying to start her bike ;D

Very cool that you would dig into one of these old things 8)

Get it running 1st would be my recommendation as well. There will be plenty of time to take it all apart.

Offline JHansen

• Enthusiast
  • In a word... breathtaking
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 09:36:13 pm »
I'll vouch here for Two Tired as one of, if not the most, insightful and knowledgeable participants on this forum. Not just on the SOHC's but general engine knowledge.

It's a damn shame we did away with karma points!  ;D
'76 CB400f -cafe'd out
'75 CB400f -future project waiting in wings
'03 Yamaha V-Star Classic
'90 Honda VFR 750

brimar6

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 09:58:53 pm »
"I'll vouch here for Two Tired as one of, if not the most, insightful and knowledgeable participants on this forum. Not just on the SOHC's but general engine knowledge."

I'll second that!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 10:00:45 pm by brimar6 »

Offline Rushoid

• Shameless
  • Expert
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 10:59:26 pm »
"I'll vouch here for Two Tired as one of, if not the most, insightful and knowledgeable participants on this forum. Not just on the SOHC's but general engine knowledge."

I'll second that!!
All those in favor say "yea" :D

Welcome to the group. And I agree with TwoTired. Try to get it running first. If for no other reason than to test ride it and see if it's the right bike for you. You might want to move up to the 750!  ;) ;D ;D

BTW, I drove through NM once.  ::)
Go Cards!! Go Colts!! Go Bucks!!

SOHC/4 Member #3452

pepsquad

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »

I talked to a buddy of mine who has worked on numerous other vehicle projects (the former owner) and he and I both decided that the bike needed to have an engine rebuild.  This is what we've accomplished so far.   I hope to be able to afford the rebuild kit in a few weeks :)  I'll keep you guys posted.