Author Topic: Hard to shift?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline cthor

Hard to shift?
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:00 pm »
So I finally got my 71 Honda CL350 to start and run. The only problem now is that, its really hard to shift both with the engine on and off. I could go through all the gears and itll run fine but shifting is extremely hard. The clutch lever is also really hard.  Any ideas on where to start? Could it be the clutch?

Offline cthor

Re: Hard to shift?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:05:26 am »
any ideas?

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:01:03 am »
This is usually a badly adjusted clutch. Go through it as per the manual.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline cthor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:40 am »
ok thanks. I will give this a try today and lube the lines....

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »
This is usually a badly adjusted clutch. Go through it as per the manual.

+1

Start there and report back.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Bob3050

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »
If it is hard to shift with the engine off then I doubt that clutch adjustment will have any effect on it. It is more likely a shift lever or linkage problem.
Bob

Offline cthor

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »
COuldnt find the manual. Gonna go do a search tonight. but today i took everything apart. Also changed the chain. Now it seems like my clutch is not engaging at all. The lever feels fine now. Did I mess up in the reinstallation? Is there a certain way to reinstall the bearings thing that the clutch cable connects to? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:38 pm »
Have a trawl through this http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=426.0 and see if you can find a manual to download. You can't really look after your bike without one.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:07:08 pm »
A lot of the links in there are old and don't work.  Try:

http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/shop-manual
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline cthor

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:12 am »
Got it guys. Thanks. I really adjusted the actuator wrong but I didnt see a ball bearing in there. The owner before me must have lost it. Would this explain why the clutch was so hard and barely shifted into gear? Does anyone know the size of the ball bearing? Another question, is the cable adjuster on the top of the chain guard cover suppose to be free and only held in by tension ( not physically connected to cover)?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:15:15 am by cthor »

Offline cthor

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »
After hours of adjusting, the clutch is just not budging. The pedal is still hard and its really hard to shift out of first. The engagement point is really low towards the handlebar and it seems to barely engage. I'm running out of ideas. I'm starting to think it could be my transmission.

Offline cthor

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 12:56:25 pm »
Here are the pictures of the setup. Is the ball suppose to be that deep? I took her out and tried shifting through all the gears earlier. For some reason I was able to shift through all the gears without the clutch while riding! I'm confused! I know its not the transmission but something with the clutch configuration. Maybe within the clutch itself? Help me figure this out guys...Thanks for all the help so far.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:13 pm »
I'm not familiar with your clutch but I would expect some adjustment to be made on that cable adjuster that sits on the casing.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:01:22 pm »
While your working on getting the clutch sorted out also be sure to lube the cable,can make a big difference if its as old as it looks.

Offline cthor

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »
Ok guys. I've lubed the cable and readjusted the actuator multiple times. The bike is still acting up. I can shift throughout all the gears and drive perfectly normal. Even took it on the highway today but when I do press the clutch and engage it, I cant shift! Anyone have any idea what is going on? Could it be my clutch itself?