Author Topic: DOHC 750F fork questions, and a 2 in one tool I made  (Read 2218 times)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
DOHC 750F fork questions, and a 2 in one tool I made
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:48 am »
Hey guys, hope you guys are having good luck with your bikes.  I'm currently waiting on parts for forks for the aforementioned bike.  I've changed seals before and they were pretty easy, but these took me four or five attempts of trying to get them out, getting pissed, and going back later.  I had to adapt another tool to get it done, more on that in a sec. 

I wanted to show you these fork lowers and see what you all thought about the condition.  I scarred them slightly but I think they'll work out.  Reason being the scarring was near the top and these seals look to be designed to sit much deeper in the recess than say, a 550.  There's three or four various spacers and bushes that sandwich it, so I'm just not sure.   Here's a pic of how they're situated:

http://www.maximhonda.net/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=125137&section=2148785&year=1982&make=HONDA&category=Motorcycles&dc=6669&name=FRONT+FORK+81-82

Also, if someone knows a good source for the copper crush washers like for the drain bolts I'm all ears.

Here's the forks:

And the inside.  Those gouges at the top were smoothed down with a small soft buff on a dremel, I'm just wondering if they'll have to be smoothed any more so as to not affect the sliders.  They're about the worst of the damage.

The whole reason they got gouged is I got frustrated and got a little carried away, enough to spin my vise I thought I'd locked down enough and bend the two metal straps that the Lisle seal puller came assembled with.  You can find a picture of the original unit online, the Craftsman version is just like it.   The damn thing would deflect if you weren't pulling dead on; it just wasn't near strong enough for stubborn seals.  So a while back a friend tacked a couple of pegs on this strap of steel so I could pull my wheel retainers.   I removed the rivets from the Lisle unit and removed this hook piece from the end.  I drilled the end of my wheel retainer tool and bolted it up.  It took me two pulls from different angles to get the seals out that time.  No deflection whatsoever.   The tradeoff is you WILL gouge whatever you're pulling on if you're not careful (all the gouges in mine were done with the old unit).  Anyway, I'd never seen anyone do this before and thought I'd throw it out there too.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:08:10 am by fastbroshi »
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
Re: DOHC 750F fork questions, and a 2 in one tool I made
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:26:28 am »
Broshi, They're the same as the forks on my V65 Sabre.  The scarring will not affect the tubes, that's where the dust seal goes.  Have fun...  I've got one I can't get the bottom bolt out of.

>:(
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:42:57 am »
Did you already unscrew the fork cap?  If so put it back on and tighten.   Then go after the allen bolt.   Have you tried some torch heat?

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:52:41 am »
Why do you have to "wrestle" the seals out with the puller you adapted?  On the few forks that I've dealt with (neither 750's) the seal came out by banging the upper and lower fork sliders against the seal by snapping them apart.  Are these forks constructed differently so that the slider comes out of the seal without it being removed?

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:56 am »
Why do you have to "wrestle" the seals out with the puller you adapted?  On the few forks that I've dealt with (neither 750's) the seal came out by banging the upper and lower fork sliders against the seal by snapping them apart.  Are these forks constructed differently so that the slider comes out of the seal without it being removed?
No tube or slider bushings in those forks, so the tube slides out leaving the seal in place.
MCN DTF

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:51 am »
Punch or drill 2 holes in the metal case of the seal, insert sheet metal screws, and pull up with claww hammer. use a shim under the hammer. I wouldnt  use thatt seall tool if it was given to me and you were paying me to use it..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:40:21 am »
Good to know...and good tip.

I've got an '81 DOHC that needs some new seals so now I have a better idea of what to do.  It has some air pre-load valves on it, so I was also wondering if there are special seals for it, or are the same ones as on the SOHC 750 the same?  (eBay lists the same ones in several cases and some aren't very pricey.)

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:28 am »
Hi gang.I find that seal removal tool very usefull and a welcome addition to my toolbox.I just don't use it to remove Honda fork seals.  Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 02:46:06 pm »
]No tube or slider bushings in those forks, so the tube slides out leaving the seal in place.

That's the weird thing, from what I can tell, these are missing those bushes/sliders shown in the parts diagram.  So those bits are on order.

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:42:35 am »
]No tube or slider bushings in those forks, so the tube slides out leaving the seal in place.

That's the weird thing, from what I can tell, these are missing those bushes/sliders shown in the parts diagram.  So those bits are on order.
Weird indeed. Your forks appear to be '79 or '80 models. Your tubes and sliders don't have anywhere to install the bushings. Are you certain the bike is an '81 or later model? Here's the '79/'80 fiche.

MCN DTF

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:41:10 pm »
Ugh, you're right, I guess I got too zeroed in on the 81-82 models while looking for brake parts.   That eases my mind a bit about any "missing" parts.  Thanks a lot chickenman.