Author Topic: Best polishing method  (Read 1004 times)

Offline jmtuccini

Best polishing method
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:22 pm »
Any tips on tools and products for polishing all the aluminum parts on my CB550.

I used light sand paper and steel wool on the fork tubes and I got a nice looking finish. There's alot more to do on many of the engine parts and I'm looking for the best way to do it.

Offline matt mattison

• Enthusiast
Re: Best polishing method
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »
If your budget allows, buy floor/bench mounted buffer. Look on YouTube or Eastwood's website for a tutorial
1975 CB550F
2011 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »
harbor freight  sells a bench mounted buffer that is pretty good.i bought one and love it.it is definitely worth the money. i did my cb550 cases and forks.i have done several parts for people.and everyone was happy with the results. they sell different pads plus the rouge.do what you did with the sand paper work your way to a 1000-1500 grit depending on how good you want. then polish it out with a buffer and you'll wind up with a chrome like finish.the up keep on it is another story. but it is not bad.
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:34:20 pm »
Heh, the best way is have it professionally done. ;)
I also have the HF buffer. It works, but it makes you work for it as it doesn't always provide enough torque.
Yes, wet sanding prior to buffing definitely helps.
I did all my own polishing and it came out pretty good. Good enough for me.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline jmtuccini

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »
You can get buffer wheels for a grinder right.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »
Ditto on the HF buffer, i have one and it works but it is kind of underpowered. I also use a regular dual grinder with the buffing wheels mounted. The grinder has a lot more power, but the shafts are shorter so sometimes the body of the grinder gets in the way. look for buffing wheels that are wider 1" or so, they are a lot easier to use than the narrow 1/2" ones that come with most kits.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »
I use an old blower motor with a hardware store arbor on it. I just put the motor mount in my vice, stack a couple buffs in it and get to it.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 06:36:10 pm »
could powdercoat everything chrome/polished no upkeep that way
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"