Author Topic: Environment friendly running light.  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
Environment friendly running light.
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:09 am »
Every now and then we read in this forum that people change the conventional bulbs in their indicators and brakelights for Ledlamps.
For me personal it's not interesting and not worth the trouble. There's another lamp however that, replaced by a led, could save Watts and fuel considerably.
For other than the USmarket, headlight reflectors generally are equipped with an extra lampsocket that houses a small 4 Wattslamp. That BA9s lamp is often referred to as pilot lamp, city light, marker light, whatever.
Wouldn't it be interesting to replace that 4 Watts bulb by a 4 Watts led?
Leds produce considerable more light and maybe for daytime use it's enough to run this ledlamp for safety instead of the powerconsuming headlamp that produces primarily heat. That - in daytime - will save about 40 Watts to generate and so saves fuel.
If you google, one will find a variety of BA9s Ledlamps that can replace that conventional bulb. Some have even four or more leds fitted. I would prefer one that spreads it's light so it will use the reflector as much as possible. Has any of you experience with this?
Who can advise what Ledlamp is most suitable?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:56:52 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Environment friendly running light.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:24:19 am »
ill remember to turn off my headlight next time im going up a hill,,if its worth it to save fuel its a gain in power right???

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:26:51 am »
here you go, Delta:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=755&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Fba9s_1led.htm&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=BA9s-x&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=CIPig5-R07ICFYFo4AodLlkAfA

saw these the other day while i was working on my LED indicator light project.  they are 180-degree bulbs, so should project light outward and to the reflector dish.

if the "cool white" isn't bright enough, they may have other bulbs on the website.  these are just a very inexpensive option.   it would be fun to run the UV light hahaha.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:29:44 am by mono »

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:15:02 am »
Delta - I agree w mono's thought to go to superbright leds for your ba9s bulbs, but if i had these 4W running light bulbs, i'd want as bright as possible. so i'd go with these....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-9-led-tower/9/

the cool white color, is the brightest, has a slight light blue tint similar to euro HID auto headlight color, and a super-wide beam pattern.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »
Thanks. Anyone with a Bosch, Hella or similar reflector who did this?
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:52:03 am »
i hate to break this to you, but watts are a measurement of  consumption, not luminosity. a 4w bulb draws the same current as a 4w led. i'd expect that LED to be about 8x brighter and last 10x as long, but it wont cut down on how much 'juice' you use.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:48 am »
Sorry you misunderstood me. I know what Watts mean. My goal is not to save power in relation to that tiny 4 Watt bulb, but to see if a led with it's extra light can be used to be seen during daylight. So we can switch of the 40 Watt or 55Watt (halogen) many of us run now. That conventional little bulb clearly can't do that, but maybe a Led can. 55 Watts or around 5 Watts is a big difference in consumption.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:40:47 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black