Author Topic: GPz900R  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: GPz900R
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 06:38:46 pm »
What's the law now Les? We've got "LAMS" laws here, bikes up to 600cc are OK depending on the HP output. When I got my learner's permit back in the 1970's, my "learner bike" (prior to the 250cc law) was a shiny new CB750. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the most suitable bike to learn to ride on. ;D

Haha, i was 16 when i walked into Phil Beaumonts here in Brisvegas and rode out on an 850 venolia kitted K1.... 8) ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:56 pm »
Did you guys have excessive fatality rates at one time? Or are all the hoops just money grabs?
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »
Rules like that would destroy big bike sales here.

I only took my test a year ago. :) I was a naughty boy and lost my licence.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »
Money grabs really, it's the cagers need educated.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »
Did you guys have excessive fatality rates at one time? Or are all the hoops just money grabs?

What Lester said....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 06:53:01 pm »
I'm in the process or recovering from a broken jaw. Everyone I talk to asks if I fell off my bike, because I carry a helmet.  >:( If I was dangling car keys would they expect I crashed my car?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 12:15:09 am »

I can't speak for all Aussies, but I lost 8 of my schoolmates in bike crashes before I turned 19. This was in a small country town, and the only common denominator was they were all riding big bikes, mostly CB750's and Kawasaki 750 triples or Z1 900's. Back then we all learned to ride on dirt bikes and as there were no 250 laws or LAMS laws then, we bought CB750's or Z1's.

I hit a "Give Way" sign pole 4 feet above the ground on my F1 after clipping the gutter and flying thru a small tree at 90MPH on a suburban street, and walked away with busted ribs and bruising. (and pushed my bike home) A few weeks later I centre punched a car on my brothers BMW R75 and landed 30 feet away, and once more, walked away with a broken finger and more broken ribs. I laid the F1 down thru a set of bends on "green" tires when braking to avoid a car that came out of a side street (the back brake was way too powerful on those buggers) and slid under the car when the driver stopped the car in the middle of the road. (and tore all the skin off my left arse cheek down to the flesh)

After all that, the Army doctor banned me from riding for the rest of the year, so I sold the F1 and bought a car. Next year I got posted to Sydney and bought a Yamaha DT250 dirt bike, and only dropped it once, (wet manhole cover) with only a few bruises and no skin on my left knee. The 250 was great fun and was much more forgiving than the F1. If I'd bought it first, I probably wouldn't have had as many injuries as I did in 1978, but I was much luckier than my 8 schoolmates. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)