Author Topic: Moving to UK from America, sure could use some help  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Nick_701

Moving to UK from America, sure could use some help
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:12:31 pm »
So in about a year i will be moving to the UK, my bikes and car will be in storage until then so i need some help.  I have two 1978 CB750's one is a bobber and the other is my future cafe.  My questions have to do with customs and what will be required for me to ride there.  Any help would be really great. 

Exhaust level rules?  are straight pipes allowed? emmisions rules?
Turn signals required?  Speedometer?
Will the bike be inspected before i can put it on the road?
ETC...

And if anyone knows about bringing a 1959 VWBug over there i could use some help with that too,  Thanks!!

My Stuff:
1978 CB750K Bobber

1978 CB750K Project Cafe

What I want it to be

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: Moving to UK from America, sure could use some help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »
Turn signals not required but if they are fitted they must work.
Speedometer required.
Vehicles over a certain age are not tested for emissions. I'm not sure how old but our old bikes don't get tested.
There is a noise limit for bikes, I think the pipes must have some sort of standard stamped on them. I don't know how Hardleys get away with it. If your pipes are too noisy they will attract the cops because they need something to do except fight crime.
All vehicles over 3 years old require a yearly MOT test.
Ah, you need both front and back fenders/mudguards. I don't think it matters what size they are though.
That's about all I can tell you....oh, bring a brolly.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:24:00 pm by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Nick_701

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »
Thanks!  Great info so far.  Anyone have input about front and rear fender size?  Great news about the no emmisions, i dont like dealing with that.

Looks like i will be installing baffels into my exhaust to tone it down a bit and gonna have to get a speedo for my bobber.

Thank you so much.... and um whats a "brolly" haha, im gonna have to get used to the slang over there

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »
Brolly=umbrella.
Fenders. I don't really think it matters what size they are as long as they look like they perform a function.
Our licence plate is going to spoil the look of that nice blue bike.
30 seconds in will give you an idea.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Nick_701

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:34 pm »
Holy crap that plate is big.... and yellow!

thanks for the info on the fender ill start figuring that out,  thats a nice looking bike you have there. 

Im from Arizona, dry hot desert, needing a "brolly" is something i'll have to get used to.  but im excited, thanks again

Offline Waggles

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 03:31:06 am »
Hi Nick,

Bit of extra info on the fenders, I think they have to be wide enough to cover all tyre ( sorry, 'tire'  ;) ) tread. If you compare pics of USA version of the 750 F1 compared to the UK version the rear has an additional bit added, probably useful! Generally unless you are not going to ride in the rain they will be useful over here!

Which part of UK are you headed for? generally the further north the wetter! Guess from Arizona you will need to get ready for snow too!

Offline monkeyrocco

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:39 am »
hi, just read your post according to my mot tester mate you dont need fenders/mudguards as we call them, if indicators are fitted they must work same for lights. as for emissions they are not tested on bikes ( so the goverment can rip us off on road tax ) exhausts do not have to be stamped but if they are too noisy a advisory will be issued ( i get one every year ) hope this helps and welcome to the uk.  8)
have fun ride safe