Author Topic: After cam swap, won't start | Block off pics  (Read 20726 times)

Offline onepieceatatime

• Hot Shot
Re: After cam swap, won't start | Head Off Video!
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »
i can't wait to hear what caused all this. dumb question, if it was running good before, why did you swap the cam?

He put in a 650 cam.
1965 CA77
1972 CB750K Ol' Sarge
1974 CB450K7
1977 CB750K7
1977 CB750K7
1980 CB650C
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »
I might keep that chain tight before cycling the motor to many time the loose teeth have to go somewhere might break/bend chain or bust teeth off of crank sprocket . I ight also get a good understanding before putting it all back together. I could have listen wrong but 4 is closet to ignition 1 being on the left side while seated on the bike
1 an 4 cyclinders are not next to each other. you can do a easy test on the head if you lay it so cups are facing up an put a little gas on each one put it on a paper towel or newspaper an if you have a wet spot your leaking. Id redo it all at the point your at anyways though. good progress
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2012, 10:37:18 pm »
i can't wait to hear what caused all this. dumb question, if it was running good before, why did you swap the cam?

:o
He got a better 650 cam which is a thing with putting in 550's I guess and he has another bigger running motorcycle so he's getting into it. Moar power.  ;D

Oh sorry didn't see your response there onepieceatatime.

Anyway good job stereosilence and good video I guess it's kind of positive news it's cylinder 3 squeakin - honing in on that mystery...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:42:55 pm by 750resurrection »

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:23 am »
I'm interested in what the cause is as well and whether or not it had anything to do with something dropping or breaking during the cam swap. I know this has been much more involved than originally anticipated but it just might be a good thing. Say for example the problem has nothing to do with the cam swap and is something that was getting ready to happen anyhow, the simple process of turning the engine over slowly by hand during the swap may have alerted you to a problem early enough for you to correct it before any serious damage developed. Good luck and keep us posted.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:34 am »
Yes. I was just going to do a performance improving tweak that everyone said was very simple. So, be very careful to make sure everything is aligned properly. I'm not sure this is the problem, but make sure of that.

At this point, I am going to begin preparing for a full engine disassembly and rebuild. I had been planning to do it maybe in the dead of winter or farther in the future, but I want to get everything cleaned and blasted and the engine painted as well as making sure the innards are sound. So, since I am about to take the block off, and since I dropped the damn puck down the cam chain slot and it has (at least so far) disappeared. At this point, if I'm gonna have the head cover, head, and block blasted, might as well get the engine case done also.

I'll keep you posted. Since this is turning serious, I'll probably keep a more concise narration on my build thread.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:25 pm »
 You might have a bent valve but a bent valve won't make a squeal.  Especially when the head is off, so move on for now.  Are there any vertical scratches on the cylinder wall when the piston is down? if the walls look smooth I'd guess the squeal may be from a bearing. I can't think of anything that would take out a bearing other than a dry start or debris in the oil. If that's the case it might be cheaper to find a used engine. Hope I'm wrong and it's obvious and relatively easy. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2012, 03:52:07 pm »
Even a dry start is a long shot..

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2012, 10:39:45 pm »
I've heard that squeal when one (or more) of the oil ring rails is bent down the side of piston
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »
Ok. I got the block off today. It wasn't a terrible amount of trouble. I was just worried I would mess something up.

Anyway, I looked in the cylinders and didn't see any vertical lines that looked like a rub. I still can't see any sign of the rubber puck I lost down the hole. At this point, I am thinking about going ahead and splitting the case so I can get the whole thing sandblasted, painted, and back together. Trav-i is coming over on Thursday to help me, so hopefully he can help me out me a good bit in terms of looking for anything out of place.

Take a gander at the photos and let me know if there is anything I can inspect at this point.

Notice here that the left two are much wetter than the right two.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: After cam swap, won't start | Block off pics
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »
Why not remove the sump and see if you can find that puck?
I'm sure I've heard that sound on mine. Is it not just air squeezing past the rings on compression?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »
Could be air. What is the sump? Is that the oil pan?

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2012, 01:46:03 pm »
Could be air. What is the sump? Is that the oil pan?

Yes.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21:52 pm »

lol - Oh man, air going past the rings and like doing a vibrasqueal...

:o

The mystery takes another twisty.  ;D

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »
Correct me if I missed something, but isn't it doing this even with the head off? There would be no seal to force the air past the rings.
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:20 pm »
The burn on the pistons seems odd. Usually there is build up on the entire piston correct? If you look they all look nonburnt on the same side. Maybe some with experience can brin light to that?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

bollingball

« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2012, 07:21:56 pm »
The burn on the pistons seems odd. Usually there is build up on the entire piston correct? If you look they all look nonburnt on the same side. Maybe some with experience can brin light to that?
could it be because that is the exh. side?
Ken

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »
Looking at the placement of the engine, isn't the intake facing the rear wheel?  If that's the case that is where the intake manifold comes from right? Like I said, I'm not sure just looks odd
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:07 pm »
Correct me if I missed something, but isn't it doing this even with the head off? There would be no seal to force the air past the rings.

Maybe he meant crankcase pressure buildup...

Offline DustyRags

• Hot Shot
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:58 pm »
Sure, but wouldn't that escape out the middle hole where the cam chain tensioner sits? I'm not sure, I haven't had mine further down than the base gasket, but it seems to me that it's all open down there, no?
1976 CB550K- sold
1975 XL350 - crashed

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »
Sure, but wouldn't that escape out the middle hole where the cam chain tensioner sits? I'm not sure, I haven't had mine further down than the base gasket, but it seems to me that it's all open down there, no?
Correct. There will never be any pressure in the crankcase with the cam cover off.
Stereo, try removing the alternator cover; there have been several reports of the stator mounting screws coming loose on 550s, causing a similar sound when the stator rubs on the rotor.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:18 pm »

I don't know, maybe the big cam bloated it and it got gas.  ;D

Offline DustyRags

• Hot Shot
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »
Hate when that happens!

1976 CB550K- sold
1975 XL350 - crashed

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2012, 08:53:51 pm »
Ok. I got the block off today. It wasn't a terrible amount of trouble. I was just worried I would mess something up.

Anyway, I looked in the cylinders and didn't see any vertical lines that looked like a rub. I still can't see any sign of the rubber puck I lost down the hole. At this point, I am thinking about going ahead and splitting the case so I can get the whole thing sandblasted, painted, and back together. Trav-i is coming over on Thursday to help me, so hopefully he can help me out me a good bit in terms of looking for anything out of place.

Take a gander at the photos and let me know if there is anything I can inspect at this point.

Notice here that the left two are much wetter than the right two.

Thursday is tomorrow.  ;D

I'm going with this from one of my earlier posts, as I cannot see anything wrong in the pics:

"  I came across a site looking up the lower end and same type of squealing thing was described, even sound from the crankshaft area and it turned out it was the stator not being seated all the way. "

Another fella mentioned that being reported several times.

But, I haven't forgotten that cam gear chip - which really seems as likely.

This is still very exciting good luck to both you guys in definitely finding out what it is.... no unsolved mysteries please.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2012, 07:52:27 am »
Your #3 exhaust port was leaking so be sure to get new gaskets and properly align the pipe. The white areas on the pistons and intake valves indicate you timing is not set correctly and / or the advancer is not working.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:12 am »
 Might fit in with other red herrings but by the picture something looks different with #2 piston rings - check those.