Author Topic: Easiest way I've found to title in CA  (Read 1295 times)

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
Easiest way I've found to title in CA
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:55:42 am »
Title lien sale agencies can take care of all the paperwork for $50 or less per motorcycle. They can even perform the VIN inspection so you do not have to go to the highway patrol office. Try a google search to find someone in your area or PM me if are looking for someone in the Bay Area.

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Easiest way I've found to title in CA
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:58 pm »
Title lien sale agencies can take care of all the paperwork for $50 or less per motorcycle. They can even perform the VIN inspection so you do not have to go to the highway patrol office. Try a google search to find someone in your area or PM me if are looking for someone in the Bay Area.

Camelman

What is a title lien sale agency?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline ksteve

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:47:51 pm »
They can even perform the VIN inspection so you do not have to go to the highway patrol office.

Camelman

It's a myth that you have to go to the highway patrol office for VIN check in Calif. And it's dead-simple to get a non-titled bike titled at DMV yourself. I did it a few months ago.

Call you local police non-emergency line and ask to drop by with your bike for a vin check. If it isn't running, ask to have the duty patrol officer drop by, check your bike's vin, and fill out the form.

In my case, the cop came by and filled out the form for free. My bike had no battery, no tank, no seat, no brakes, no back wheel (all that stuff was on workbench). No problem. Then I took the completed form to the DMV along with the title form and had a new title in less than an hour.

Just make sure you do the VIN check form BEFORE you go to DMV and make sure the cop fills out EVERY SINGLE BOX (including the one that asks for "number of axles."). Then you fill out the separate title form and go to DMV and get your title on the spot. (If you go to the DMV first and can't bring the bike, then they will check the box requiring you to go to the CHP.)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:04:13 pm by ksteve »

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
ksteve, thanks for writing that up.  I've actually gone that route in the past, but no longer have a car/truck to transport my bikes, so the lien sale is my easiest option.

A lien sale can be completed by anyone.  Posession is the majority of ownership in this state, so you can claim storage fees, unpaid service fees, etc. and use those costs to file for a lien sale, which is contingent upon non-payment of those items.  I believe there is a minimum time that you must allow the prior owner to pay the lien, but after that you can apply for a title on the vehicle.

Put more simpley, if someone abandons a vehicle on your property, and you charge a dailiy storage rate, then when the accrual of those storage fees exceed the value of the vehicle, you can apply for a lien sale.  This method can also be used for bikes you purchase that do not have titles. 

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline ksteve

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:54 pm »
Put more simpley, if someone abandons a vehicle on your property, and you charge a dailiy storage rate, then when the accrual of those storage fees exceed the value of the vehicle, you can apply for a lien sale.  This method can also be used for bikes you purchase that do not have titles. 

Camelman

Ah, ok, that's a different approach, and very interesting!