Author Topic: Cb750F 1978, and hello  (Read 22846 times)

Offline UK Pete

• Enthusiast
Re: Cb750F 1978, and hello
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 01:12:19 am »
I like that filter, never seen one like that
Pete

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »
Pete, the air box is from what I've called it a "bread box" filter. Chopper guys in the 80's, would put them on their bikes. I saw one, and fell in love. Don't like the stock box, never really liked the pods.

Progress! I am a theatre carpenter/welder, I have also done some machine work. My uncle was in the shop working on his own projects, so I had some time in front of a drill press to work on my disks. With a bench grinder at the shop it made quick work of the crud on my valves.

I have 18 days until the end of January, I should have my motor put back together. Waiting on a few parts, but it should be buttoned up soon. Need to get to the rest of the bike, brakes, bearings, and a few electrics to deal with.

Home made spring compression tool, a little notch in a pipe, and some double sided tape.

Cleaning some valves, so much better.

Valves cleaned and lapped, took two goes on a few but much cleaner.

My disk sanding station, wile still wearing a resperator. I have no idea what kind of nasty stuff they used as pads, not taking any chances.

A little Auto Cad and help from my roommate using a large format printer, easy lay out.

A can on super spray 77. Spray just the paper, low tack easy to pull of sticker

So many holes.

After 3-4 hours of drilling, I'm still not done. Looking at maybe another 2 hours in front of a drill press.

Just a  rough idea what it should look like when I'm done.

Current ride: 78' Cb750F

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 11:48:51 pm »
The bread box is slightly better than pods but the stock airbox is far better... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:24 am »
thanks for the rotor tip mate. they look really good!

Sweet build too!  ;)

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 03:45:12 pm »
Real quick update...

New rubber, Avon road raiders, and they are freaking pretty. Engine is back together, ready to rock. Final assembly, mounting, and more parts are bought already in process to arrive. New smaller gauges, more fuel line, new rear shocks(not the best but better then 30 year old tech.). New rectifier, ditching the old top of crank case breather hose for new tiny filter. Carbs are rebuilt and ready, replacing the float needle should help that fuel leak from last time.  That's what I have so far, more photos coming soon, build should be over the course of the next two weeks. I still need to get new brake hoses, I have a lead just a little more money, and sent my master cylinder out to be rebuilt(its just not working for me, I'll get the next one).

I hope to take a firday off and tune the crap out of it for a day. With hope to ride it all weekend. Final stretch, beautiful weather here in Boston, more beer is needed. Get riding my friends.

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
Gonna rain Friday ! Sorry I won't ride til Sunday  North shore

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 05:32:40 pm »
Picture update, begin.

Jan:

Heads cleaned ready for gasket, a little high speed wire brush, flat file, and flat sanding block. Looking pretty.

Pretty new painted steel and new rear sprocket.

PO put the wrong chain on like 1.5 extra links. I measured...

I had to buy a new rear, and front sprocket, with a new chain. I wasn't screwing around to make sure this thing ran with no problems. The front and rear showed signs of wear, I was not planning on screwing around with a new chain, with old (stupid PO) sprockets.

Engine has been split, repaired the kick start(works freaking great, I'll get to that) All greased up, and ready to go.

This was the first attempt to put the halves together. I it went together as smooth as it could. Also, their is no gasket between engine halves, I used Gasgacinch(from amazon). Apply both sides, using a respirator(do not breath in fumes in enclosed spaces), let dry, then assemble.

If you look closely at the bottom case half I forgot to reinstall the main drive tension-er. (CRAP) Tear apart and re do. One thing that did help, I put the case halves together and apart a few times. On the last tear down I put it in first gear, wile it was together, I spun the crank shaft by hand and changed gears with a screw driver, stopped(in first gear, and don't move a single gear), disassemble, paint gasket, lastly reassemble. I spun the crank again, changed gears, dropped bolts, tightened it all down. 

First round more to come in the next hour.

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »
Alright, my time line is all screwed up, I think we are now in Feb-early April.
I had money issues, paying bills, and getting some awesome work for great pay...that payed 30 days later. My bike sat on hold for a  few weeks. No progress.

Pistons back on, I broke one ring, I got a used replacement(I'm going to over bore this bike, the bore measurement is so close to the wear limit). I need to ride, next tear down, she will be very pretty when I'm done.

Cam chain, cam shaft in, all greased, time for those tappets.

Ooooooo, refurbished rotors pretty.

I tired boiling my master cylinders, no luck. I'm using a used front master, i tried to find the correct rebuild kit. My cylinders are now at a pro. My front was giving me all hell, didn't work right, tried different parts. My rear, I have the correct rebuild kit, I couldn't get the old piston out.

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »
This is where I stand today, I'll let the pictures speak for them selves.

New tires, with the help of my roomates, I got the engine in the frame, and tires on.

Holy Crap, its almost starting to look professional.

Offline hiljak

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 10:54:22 am »
I just wanted to let you know that I am watching this thread. Thanks for posting.
I recently bought a non-running 1978 CB750 F. I haven't had a lot of time to tear into it yet but I dig your thread and look forward to you getting her running.

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »
More and more stuff added, problems. Also new home made parts are good fun, and now awesome. I bought two new gauges, some tiny 2.5" chrome gauges with black face. Pretty freaking sweet. I need to make a bracket, took some measurements, sat at my computer for an hour, and drew up something I was really happy with.

Take some super spray 77, spray paper, attach to steel, cut and grind.

A little filing and sanding ready for a trial assembly, and fitting.

Looking pretty sweet, fits on the bike great. I had access to a large cnc mill (I could of prototyped it better), so the gauges are a little farther away from the handle bars, but I still like the look.

I panted the bracket gloss black, and I need to get some hardware. Easy bolt on part.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 04:51:30 pm »
Bracket looks great!

Offline Thousandson

• Enthusiast
  • Ride, Fix, Repeat
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 06:33:31 pm »
So the sad news about the spedo bracket, I had to cut it down, but I as able to salvage and make it work. The bike sits as you see. More parts, and more wiring. Its really coming along, I wish it was much faster. Having a real job it getting in the way. I might be really late into this season, I'm still going to tweak it, and put a thousand miles on it before winter. That's just something I have to do.

I ran into a wiring problem with my new indicator light for my turn signals. I put two diodes in and it fixed the problem. I also found a slick way to ground out my front turn signals. I just put my bread box air filter in, it looks really good. I was hoping for it to look a little better, but I need to make more parts to make it look real slick.

The brakes is the last little bit. I got brakes seals from http://www.hondapartshouse.com. Freaking amazing, I wanted to replace all of the rubber, but finding brake rebuild kits was killing me. I also got a new Front master cylinder from http://www.davidsilverspares.com. The new MC is from a CB750FA 1980, I won't complain, I had to cut down the output bolt from the MC. I finally got all of my calipers apart and painted.