Author Topic: Time to freshen up the F Model bracket bike  (Read 118035 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: Time to freshen up the F Model bracket bike
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »
Jerry,
The bike is set up for the 1/8th mile and is race only. I don't go on the street unless i need to make a quick hit down the road to check something. Too many sharp curves to negotiate with a bike as long and low as this one so it'll never see top speed. In the 1/4 mile it will occcasionally trip over 120mph if i had a crappy 60'. Putting things in prospective, Samauto has posted 60's in the 2.teens and run 112-113mph in the 1/4. My average 60' is high 1.40's to low 1.50's. I have gotten low 1.40's out of it.  Its a time and distance thing.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »
 I pulled the front end apart last night in anticipation of installing new forks seals and lowering them today. Well, i ran into a snag with the front forks. I went to the local Honda dealer with confidence they had at least one set of seal for the F model since those things are multi fitment. His system showed 2 sets. As luck would have it, he came back empty handed. I went to the Yamaha dealer around the corner with thoughts that the regular parts guy would be there and could try to cross over the Honda application to a Yamaha part number. Again, more bad luck, the normal parts man was not there and a new guy was working. Needless to say, i left without getting an ounce of help since all he could do was click a button. Man this current generation scares the hell out of me. I came home hoping i had stashed away some new seals in my parts closet. After pulling half of the boxes out, i had to accept the fact that my goal of having he chassis ready this weekend is not going to happen. Oh well, glad i ordered the seals from the Honda dealer and they should by mid week. Time to run to Lowes to see if they have a piece of  aluminum sheeting long enough go under my seat pan. If not, i'll be piecing some metal together. It won't be seen anyway unless i take the tail off. I might shoot some black paint on it just in case- lol.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2013, 04:39:25 pm »
I've given up on the local Honda dealer, none of the parts guys was even born when these bikes were new. ::)  Use a local family bike shop now.  They service everything, and even have original parts books going back to the 60's.  They think finding parts for my 'parts from everywhere, not sure what year' sidecar is fun. 8)
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:29 pm »
I've given up on the local Honda dealer, none of the parts guys was even born when these bikes were new. ::)  Use a local family bike shop now.  They service everything, and even have original parts books going back to the 60's.  They think finding parts for my 'parts from everywhere, not sure what year' sidecar is fun. 8)

I can relate to that Brian.
I've got my local Honda dealer pretty well trained these days.
I recon I've got a better handle on operating his fancy new parts system and his old fiche system than any of his staff.

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:40 pm »
I might have gotten lucky. I remembered my machinist had some NOS parts sitting on shelves and in drawers at his shop. I called and he told me he had several drawers full of seals. He's going to check the book for seal sizes for the F and call me back in the morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he has the right ones so i can keep moving forward. I hate to wait until next week when the seals arrive at the dealer. I guess i'll go in the shop and tear down the tubes so i can start the stiffening and lowering process.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »
Tonto  tired! Have seals,no travel! Well pretty sure  I got a set or two if you still in need.Let me know,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »
Tonto  tired! Have seals,no travel! Well pretty sure  I got a set or two if you still in need.Let me know,Bill

See, i keep forgetting i've got friends with parts i need.

Now, do you have a spare motor i can borrow for the Cup race in case mine doesn't get finished?? I promise to only ride it to the grocery store on sundays.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »
Made a little more forward movement tonight on the bike. I put my lowering spacer and a couple of GS valve springs inside my fork tubes to stiffen and lower it. Installed the new seals and reassembled everything with the help of my wife. It was tough getting that top nut on with the increased tension on the spring. She held the fork upright while i pushed down with the impact gun to get the thing started. Its a lot stiffer now and it shortened the forks about an inch and a half more than it was with just the 2 inch spacer from before. I don't want to go any further because i still need to maintain at least 2 inches of ground clearance to be legal to race. Plus when making right exits off the dragstrip the sidewinder will scrape the ground.   I'd hate to start wearing out a brand new Vances and Hines pipe so soon. I put the tire back on the bike as well. The new front tire didn't have as much runout after i mounted it on the bike.

I was also able to weld up some support pieces for the rear fender and seat pan. I've got some touch up welding to do tomorrow and i'll be done with that part. Next step on the chassis will be to run new front brake lines. I have to over some parts tomorrow from Star Racing. I'll be reinstalling all my electronics back on the bike once the welding is done.

If all goes as planned, i'll be working on the engine by sunday. I'm behind schedule but i haven't given up yet.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:52 pm »
Frank, you're not behind schedule! Bill doesn't stop until he's staging  ;) that is if he makes it to staging......... Sorry Bill, couldn't resist.  ;) I'll buy you a beer.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:13 pm »
Okay, i forgot how you forum members operate; "pictures or it didn't happen". Lol. Here ya go. The kick stand is now a bit to short after shortening the forks so once i get the motor bolted in with all the weight on the bike, i'll cut it to the right length.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »
What the heck happened to the picture? Can't get it to post due to the size. I give up.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:15:24 pm by dragracer »

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:48 pm »
Finished tacking up the fender and tail support. Shot some paint on it after this pic. Got the front fender aligned and properly mounted too.

Still pushing ahead fellas.

Brakes are next on the chassis list but i need parts.

Days are clicking off but i'm not giving up.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2013, 06:17:59 am »
K! Well we @ the track.....misting! Damn it Gumby! Sam has new nickname Slick (as in oil) Sam Green! We managed to lose an oil line more later. Luckily in staging lanes before first run.Team Penzoil !! Well I made a run,popped out of  gear twice,causing 9 sec 1/8 13 1/4. Did I say it over revved and broke.....well ok now makes an all too familiar clack sound that gets louder more you rev it! Engine disassembly time. Calendar Girl going to Bradenton now! Sam fixed,ready to tech. More later. Way to go Frank,we'll need all the SOHCs
We can get! More later,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2013, 08:30:40 am »
K! Well we @ the track.....misting! Damn it Gumby! Sam has new nickname Slick (as in oil) Sam Green! We managed to lose an oil line more later. Luckily in staging lanes before first run.Team Penzoil !! Well I made a run,popped out of  gear twice,causing 9 sec 1/8 13 1/4. Did I say it over revved and broke.....well ok now makes an all too familiar clack sound that gets louder more you rev it! Engine disassembly time. Calendar Girl going to Bradenton now! Sam fixed,ready to tech. More later. Way to go Frank,we'll need all the SOHCs
We can get! More later,Bill

Bill, you speak in tongues  ;) You talking Purple Haze? Time for back cuts and a rev limiter. Well, it was time before....... Good luck when you open it up. I can help you boys wrench soon.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2013, 05:48:43 pm »
Jerry...it was a calculated risk, albeit an expensive one.! Told Sam I needed to put in undercut trans(Kenny's) along with rev limiter! Had trans,sold my 2 old school Accel rev limiter...wasn't expecting it to pop out before 4th,oh so aren't the boost and tach needles supposed be @ 3:00!!!!!!!  NOT! :( But man ain't never rode a  750 that accelerated like it did when in gear! ;) Got me hooked, a run with a good 60ft,and no poppin out, mid 10's for sure! So when it goes back it will be a proper built race bike! ;D Now out comes Calendar Girl,Frank,guess you were rt, she was pissed off! ;) ;D Bill
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2013, 06:06:54 pm »
What's missing from this pic?........ A 750F ,a RED one! Frank how's it going?, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2013, 07:34:43 pm »
Bill, did she have a good head? (no, not Sam's hottie) If not I'm sure it'll breathe much better now for that turbo  ;D  Dyna 2000 ought to cure the turbo curve and limiter?? Hold on tight brother!

Got my parts and wrenching tomorrow. I'll be practiced up for you.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »
Billy, lets not forget that Purple Haze had tranny issues at the Cup race last year. And it was  also a problem with Calender Girl. So get those trannies fixed ASAP. And i'm not talking  about transvestites either. Lol. The F model is moving along. I took a break today to go racing with the CSRA Dragbike Association at the local track. Will be back on the SS tomorrow. Chassis work not quite done. Hoping to get on the motor real soon though. I need at least one test and tune session before bringing it to Bradenton.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2013, 08:29:09 pm »
Well, i'm not a body man but i think the fiberglass work on the rear fender might hold up long enough to complete the race at the Man Cup. I'll let it harden overnight and trim off the excess matting tomorrow, then i'll do a little sanding, break out the body filler and smooth out the rough areas. it'll be flat black by mid week and back on the bike.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2013, 09:04:24 pm »
Body-filler??? Come on man, you have a dead-line coming up, and you haven't even started on the motor yet??! ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2013, 09:18:03 pm »
Installed the front fender last night. Worked on installing the brake line and caliper today. Its seems the dang brakes have some drag to them once everything is tightened up. I tried shimming the hanger but got little results. I shimmed the caliper several different ways and it got better but its not exactly right. I did get different contact patterns each time i moved stuff around (note the red marker on the rotor). I've got to get this perfect so i'll tinker with it more tomorrow night. I may have to take the roller to the machinist who made the hanger and spacers for me to sort this out if my efforts don't bring about positive results. i'd hate for the rotor to get hot and lock the daggone caliper up. Even if i didn't get that hot, its still causing drag which means a loss of power- we can't have that in straight line racing. 

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2013, 09:22:13 pm »
Body-filler??? Come on man, you have a dead-line coming up, and you haven't even started on the motor yet??! ;)

Had a big hole in the rear fender and the front broke aloose where it was bolted to the brace. I'm just trying to patch this thing so when i do a burnout it won't throw water and rubber all over the place. No bling here- just function.

Believe me, i get your message loud and clear. Lol. The motor work isn't a great a concern at the moment. I've got all the parts i need so putting it back up should not take long since its just a freshen up and not a brand new build. MY absolute cut-off date is wednesday to get the chssis done. I have to be turning wrenches on the engine by thursday night. The goal is to test this thing on next sunday but no later than the friday of the following week which means i'll be missing the MIROCK finals this year. Crap!!! This'll be Sam's send off tour so i can't miss it. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:29:33 pm by dragracer »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2013, 09:30:25 pm »
Looks like the brake pad is hitting on the inside first. How far off is the alignment? Can you fit a feeler gauge between the rotor and the pad at the OD? It may only be an issue of mating the pad to the rotor.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2013, 11:13:36 am »
Looks like the brake pad is hitting on the inside first. How far off is the alignment? Can you fit a feeler gauge between the rotor and the pad at the OD? It may only be an issue of mating the pad to the rotor.

Scottly, i'll check the clearance tonight. I wish i could try to mate the pads to the rotor but its a race only bike so i can't just ride it around. Not only that, theres no motor in it-lol. Both the caliper/pads and the rotor are brand new.

I may try to get hook the ATV up to the chassis and have the wife tow me around the yard to mate the brakes- you never know. It might work.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:39 am »
All else fails would sanding the pads a little help?