Author Topic: Time to freshen up the F Model bracket bike  (Read 118117 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: Time to freshen up the F Model bracket bike
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »
Time slip as promised. Not the lowest 60', 1/8th or 1/4 mile ET of this bike since I built it but you get the point. I don't think those numbers are to bad for a street tire, stock valve, 37 year old bike.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2015, 01:37:17 pm »
Elevation and DA's = are the tuners tools.............. cost me money to buy that ET predictor box years ago but worth every dime to get the information that is important to get the dial in close for a bracket bike.   That minus -235' DA at SGMP in the fall 2014 was a eye opener, best I ever seen was -344'DA at Englishtown.  Hope all have a great day at the track and many win tickets in your hand at the booth..

POPS BK911 NHRA

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:45 pm »
Elevation and DA's = are the tuners tools.............. cost me money to buy that ET predictor box years ago but worth every dime to get the information that is important to get the dial in close for a bracket bike.   That minus -235' DA at SGMP in the fall 2014 was a eye opener, best I ever seen was -344'DA at Englishtown.  Hope all have a great day at the track and many win tickets in your hand at the booth..

POPS BK911 NHRA

Exactly Pop. Its takes that extra cash to get the tools we need to predict ETs and properly tune our bikes.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #403 on: April 04, 2015, 10:34:35 pm »
Went to Dorchester Dragway to bracket race against the cars today. I didn't fair to well. Funny, i even had a bike first round with a newbie racer and lost to a red light ???. Bike wouldn't shift to 3rd but found a slack chain when i checked it in the pits. Bought back into 2nd round and by that time the temps had dropped almost 10 degrees. Had a crappy reaction time due to a mental fart and a failing clutch cable. Didn't come close to running the number either- she is definitely in need of a fatter jet change- its slows down when it cool off indicating a lean condition. Clutch cable broke completed on the way back up pit road. Glad all this happened this weekend. I've now got time to get a new cable and rejet before the Man Cup next weekend.

I did record a Go Pro video of the 2nd round but its disjointed for some reason. Time to read the dang book-lol. I'll see if i can post it here.

Bill, i hate to tell you bro but your homework assignment just got a little more intense. Check out the TT Rd#1, 60' time and 1/8th mile ET. Bike jumped out of gear on the Elim RD#2 so the ET was off, but the 60' was still within .0143 of the first pass.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2015, 08:26:32 am »
Damn frank
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #405 on: April 08, 2015, 12:13:21 am »
Damn frank

Mark, if i can get this carb issue worked out, there's a good chance this bike will click off a 6.4?? pass. Mind you, it might blow up right after that but..........the potential is there in my opinion. The reality here is that lowering the ET will not net consistent passes to ultimately win races. I'll find the sweet spot the bike prefers and dial in for longevity. Eventually, i'll build a bigger motor to see how quick i can actually go with this heavy no bar chassis.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2015, 06:45:51 pm »
Give it hell frank
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2015, 08:57:39 pm »
Found a link to one of my passes on You tube from the Cup race this past weekend. Trying to put it on here but no luck thus far. Will try again

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2015, 10:02:05 pm »
Okay, i hope this link works. Its from saturday's eliminations at the Man Cup race in Rockingham. I was on a great pass and confident I had a win in the bag when i made a rookie mistake that cost me the round. My opponent wasn't close to me as i was approaching the finish line so i decide to roll out of the throttle and even went so far as to sit up on the bike. Turns out i was too far away from the stripe and scrubbed off way to much mph and ET. My competitor, a young lady from Japan on a Rickey Gadson school bike( ZX14) nipped me at the finish line to take the win. Consequently, she went on to take out 5 more competitors and ended up in the finals. She lost to one of my young friends and CSRA DRagbike Association members, C.J. Fair out of Columbia.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #409 on: August 29, 2015, 10:17:24 pm »
Find below the time slip from the You tube pass. You can see from the MPH how much i slowed down on that pass, i was consistently running 122 mph each pass. This pass was only 108mph, a difference of 14 mph and the ET was over a tenth off my prediction. My reaction time was much better than hers which gave me the advantage up to the stripe but yes, i made a huge mistake that cost me the win. Still happy for the young lady from Japan to have made it to the finals saturday night.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #410 on: August 30, 2015, 04:47:27 am »
Awwww frank
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2016, 08:37:37 am »
Bike is showing subtle signs of slowing down. Its past time for me to go back in it to freshen it up again.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #412 on: July 13, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »
Current status. Trying to get ready for Memphis. 8 days left

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #413 on: July 14, 2016, 06:54:50 am »
Frankie, that ole girl has been a hell of a ride for a while - probably owes you nothing!  ;)

Looking forward to your rejuvenated version!  ;)

Best of luck to all in Memphis.  8)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #414 on: July 14, 2016, 07:25:48 am »
Frankie, that ole girl has been a hell of a ride for a while - probably owes you nothing!  ;)

Best of luck to all in Memphis. 8)
Right! I am sure temps will be in the low 70's with no humidity.  ::) ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #415 on: July 14, 2016, 09:09:39 am »

Best of luck to all in Memphis.  8)

No doubt its been a good package since I built it in the 90's. It's given me excellent service because I've always taken care of regular maintenance and scheduled tear downs to freshen it up before problems presented themselves. It used to be my "go to" bike even though I had other choices. Proportionately, I've won more races and $$ with this bike than any other I own. Time for me to give it the respect it deserves, lol.

Keith, when we will see the debut of an SOHC from your shop??

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2016, 06:59:24 pm »

Not sure right now. I just started a new subcontract machine shop, 3D Mfg, and am already buried in work.  ;)

Trying to expedite a bike as quickly as I can by starting with a complete bike. Got this one off eBay last week.

May have to send it to Brother Mike to get it built cause I know he has lots of idle time on his hands!  ;D

Or, maybe Brother Bill since he is getting to be THE BIG MOTOR expert.  ;D

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #417 on: July 14, 2016, 07:40:15 pm »

Not sure right now. I just started a new subcontract machine shop, 3D Mfg, and am already buried in work.  ;)

Trying to expedite a bike as quickly as I can by starting with a complete bike. Got this one off eBay last week.

May have to send it to Brother Mike to get it built cause I know he has lots of idle time on his hands!  ;D

Or, maybe Brother Bill since he is getting to be THE BIG MOTOR expert.  ;D

Nice looking bike. When can i come pick it up? Lol

Tell us about the new company please.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #418 on: July 15, 2016, 07:26:33 pm »
Someone explain this to me.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #419 on: July 15, 2016, 08:22:36 pm »
So you want a low sixty foot time on your no bar bike?? Well, this will eventually be the results. Sliding the clutch is mandatory on a stock setup and will create heat. Lots of heat. But after 2 years of hard racing, I will not complain considering its only the inside two that look this way. The others look brand new still. The fibers are obviously worn some but I haven't bothered to measure them since I have new once. The old will go in a zip lock bag and put in the cabinet in the trailer as a rainy day, back up set. Moral of the story is; if you want to drag race a clutch bike, you can't try to save the clutches. They are an expendable item so budget for replacements or go get an auto to play with. Lol.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2016, 06:49:01 am »
They are an expendable item so budget for replacements or go get an auto to play with. Lol.

Drag racing autos burns their clutches up too.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2016, 07:57:11 am »
They are an expendable item so budget for replacements or go get an auto to play with. Lol.

Drag racing autos burns their clutches up too.
In one case it just destroyed them. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:59 am »
Beadblasting them sometimes. Makes them last longer, and grip better.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2016, 10:13:32 am »
FRANK: On a PRO-STOCK bike you take the clutches out after ever pass clean with simple green and put back in = Joey's dad does that too = 227 mph no bar bike. Its always in the clutch package, they were never built for that hard use and need much care, Bill had a slipping clutch on one of his bikes at the ROCK could he not pulled the clutches out and put shims on the springs and made good passes ?????? Shims and simple green are a must for a ride with no LOCK UP.
PS: Spring that have been tested on a spring tool, so all are sound and good. Best tool in your tool box = a spring tester tool !!!!!!

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2016, 01:10:00 pm »
POP'S, we didn't bother cause it was also jumping out of gear. I was looking at my lockup last night...
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.