Author Topic: Time to freshen up the F Model bracket bike  (Read 118131 times)

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
Re: Time to freshen up the F Model bracket bike
« Reply #450 on: July 20, 2016, 07:24:38 am »
At the Dealers Show in INDY 3-4 years ago a CHINA WRENCH SPINNER HAD A LOCK UP CLUTCH THAT HAD BALLS !!!!!! there were swirled vanes in the head plate that had different deep slots and when the rpms came up they were thrown down the grooved swirled slots to put pressure on the disc while moving to the outside of the basket = for Harley motors, I asked could you make one for a KZ, his short answer = how many do you need ???? Dry or in oil ?????? Like to see a SOHC 750 run semi a dry clutch as most GS1150 PRO-STOCK motors had most oil inlets limited in the basket area and with  1 1/4 qt. of 0 weight oil in motor.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #451 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:02 am »
Supposed to be hot as Hades this weekend...good luck guys.

Thank Mike. Not looking forward to dealing with the heat. In between working on the bikes, I've been trying to insulate a portion of the trailer ceiling to cut down on the heat along with installing a partition so we can set a portable a/c unit inside to cool off in between rounds. It's going to be brutal but everyone else is going to have to deal with it also. Hydration, hydration is all I can say.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #452 on: July 20, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »
Haha, yep just trying to be like Frank! Lol.
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Ratbikemike

« Reply #453 on: July 20, 2016, 10:41:56 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you guys in Memphis. The 750 is still not ready ....at all. Will be on the st1100.  I am sure I can learn this r/t thing and get pretty good at it.  Just not at all sure it will be this year. Lotsa test and tune with mixed results. Maybe I can just avoid a red light and hope the other guy screws up. I'll be there friday night......   Mike.    ;D

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #454 on: July 21, 2016, 12:25:57 am »
[/quot

Word for word. Lol. Looking good. Glad you followed my directions cause its going to be hot and us old folk need all the relief we can get. I've got all my ceiling insulation done also as well as a way to close off a smaller section of the trailer. Just running out of time to put the sealer on the roof to deflect some of the sunlight. Oh well, only one of me and I'm spreading myself really thin right now.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #455 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:34 am »
Valve clearances checked and ranged from .012- .014. Not to bad after 2 years of mid 10 seconds passes. I need to do better though in my regular maintenance. Got them all at .012 now per the RC 327 specs.

Need to replace the oil filter and put in fresh oil and the mechanical part is done. I'll finish it up Thursday afternoon with the installation of a launch light set up. I've got to get more consistent to make rounds.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #456 on: July 21, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »
Looks good, I'll look for you a chrome cover! Lol
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #457 on: July 22, 2016, 09:31:23 pm »
We finally arrived around 8:30pm after getting a late start this morning. The rest of the Sohc guys were already here. My crew from CSRA Dragbike Association arrived just ahead of us. Need to get back to the track at opening time so I can try to get my launch light hooked up. Bill and Donnie were trying to get his portable a/c unit working again after it stopped cooling. They'll need it as its supposed to be a heat index of 113 degrees tomorrow. I tested our unit Friday in the heat of the day and it seemed to keep the inside comfortable. The problem is, we can't race inside the trailer so it'll be important to stay hydrated and be mindful that everyone around us drinks enough liquid. Bill feels confidant about his bike and I'm rooting for him to have a successful weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good weekend for myself.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #458 on: July 22, 2016, 09:43:08 pm »
Bill and Donnie were trying to get his portable a/c unit working again after it stopped cooling. They'll need it as its supposed to be a heat index of 113 degrees tomorrow. I tested our unit Friday in the heat of the day and it seemed to keep the inside comfortable.
I hope those A/C units have a duct to vent all the heat outside! If not, you're pissin into the wind; if the hot side of the unit is dumping inside the trailer, the net effect will be to increase the temp, instead of cooling! Had that "Duh" moment a few years ago, myself. :-[
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #459 on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:31 pm »
Scottly, if you look at the 3rd picture above, you'll see on my set up the exhaust vent and the drain tube on the temporary door. Bill also had a vent hose on his. Donnie thinks the drain line might be stopped up and was taking it apart when I left.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #460 on: July 22, 2016, 09:56:02 pm »
I thought that was maybe a vent, but wanted to make sure you were aware of the need. ;) Carry on, and good luck to you all! ;D PS, adjust your dial-in for the weather, not your carbs. ;)
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #461 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »
I thought that was maybe a vent, but wanted to make sure you were aware of the need. ;) Carry on, and good luck to you all! ;D PS, adjust your dial-in for the weather, not your carbs. ;)

Lol. Thanks for looking out for us.

Agreed on the dial in adjustment. If nothing else, my bike will be too rich given the hot, thin air. I can deal with it being a slow pig as long as the engine doesn't melt down from being to lean. I predict a best of 10.60's for my ET. Mph will maybe top out at 119-120.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #462 on: July 22, 2016, 10:18:52 pm »
Looking forward to hearing the race results, win, lose, or draw!  8)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #463 on: July 22, 2016, 10:24:43 pm »
Any live radio or TV feeds?

Good luck guys
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #464 on: July 23, 2016, 03:36:38 am »
Not sure about live feeds. Check the Man Cup website for details. And I left my dang go pro this time. I've been trying to record most of my runs for the past few races.

Will try to give periodic updates for myself if time allows. Lots to keep up with in my immediate crew but will get info from the other Sohc guys when I can.

Ps: Note to self- Do not eat spicey foods before going to sleep. Up at 4:30am with severe acid reflux

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #465 on: July 25, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »
Well, I see Wilbur posted a good overview of the race weekend along with highlights on Bill making his first 10 second pass. I've got no other pertinent information to share other than my bike was not running properly all weekend in spite of the thorough maintenance I did prior to the race. I ran out of time to go testing before the race or I would have honed in on the low speed miss and attempted a correction. Nevertheless, I was able to still safely find a less aggressive style of riding to not only save the bike mechanically, but to also be consistent enough to win rounds. I feel there's a problem in the pilot jetting system so I plan to pull the carbs back off to see what I may have missed. I really need new carb boots at some point. I may decide to yank the engine off and freshen it up before the Rockingham race.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #466 on: July 26, 2016, 03:46:06 am »
Well, you'll have $600.00 more coming this week! Congrats, I think you don't win them all in Rockingham!  Lol. Brother Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #467 on: July 26, 2016, 06:52:23 am »
Well, you'll have $600.00 more coming this week! Congrats, I think you don't win them all in Rockingham!  Lol. Brother Bill

Thanks Bill. I felt someone else would be pulling in those bonuses this past weekend. I got lucky again. It seems I might be applying that $$$ to repairs on my bike so its up and ready for the next race.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #468 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:14 am »
Frank, save and pool that cash for a JMR head!!

Congrats on taking Joey out TWICE!!  I'm thinking back to November at the awards ceremony when we presented 'the colors' and the info about what we were doing including the award money info. There was someone there immediately afterwards that said he would be campaigning a CB750 this year. Wasn't that Joey himself??!! Wondering if he is now regretful?   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #469 on: July 26, 2016, 12:01:39 pm »
No, that was Dustin Lee, he won two classes Sunday,  he's fine! Lol,  Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #470 on: July 26, 2016, 01:31:48 pm »
I spoke to Dustin About it, he said it wasn't for Man Cup Billy.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #471 on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:30 pm »
Frank, save and pool that cash for a JMR head!!

Congrats on taking Joey out TWICE!!  I'm thinking back to November at the awards ceremony when we presented 'the colors' and the info about what we were doing including the award money info. There was someone there immediately afterwards that said he would be campaigning a CB750 this year. Wasn't that Joey himself??!! Wondering if he is now regretful?   
Funny you said that Jerry. I didn't cash or deposit the first check yet because my mind was leaning towards getting Mike to do a head for me. Also have unnamed potential sponsor waiting in the background for a set of custom pistons to match an F model head.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #472 on: July 26, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »
Rolled it out of the trailer and back in the shop. Trying to figure out why its not running at 100%. Struggled with it all weekend. Fortunately I was able to adjust my riding style and ETs to win,a few rounds. It killed me to beat on it pass after pass knowing I had low to mid rpm issues. I suspect pilot jet malfunction but I had just taken the carbs down and cleaned them just before this race. I'm going to do a leak down in case there's something internal going on then pull the carbs again.  We've completed 3 of 5 races in the Man Cup series so time is not on my side to figure this problem out.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #473 on: July 26, 2016, 10:09:31 pm »
Rolled it out of the trailer and back in the shop. Trying to figure out why its not running at 100%. Struggled with it all weekend. Fortunately I was able to adjust my riding style and ETs to win,a few rounds.
How hot was it? What was the barometer reading? Higher temps and lower barometer = slower, no matter what else you do. ;)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #474 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:31 pm »
It wasn't the corrected altitude that created issues with the way the bike in the pit area and to staging or even in the burnout box. There is a problem with the motorcycle itself. Yes, I had to adjust my ET for the weather conditions but also for the lack of performance from a deficiency with the bike itself.

Stay tuned. I'll work towards getting this figured out and report what I come up with in the end. There's a slight chance its related to a connection I made with a series of diodes at the coils for my unfinished launch light. I intend to remove that harness to see if it makes a difference. Could be electrical interference in that case due to swapping anode with cathode.