Author Topic: Oil path plug 400/4  (Read 997 times)

Offline Andy.GA

Oil path plug 400/4
« on: November 12, 2014, 01:31:12 pm »
Hello. Started my first 400/4 restoration so new to this forum. All's going well so far, but I've hit a problem with the oil gallery's in the lower crank case half. After painting them in high temp silver and curing at 200deg c as per instructions (and making lots of smoke in the kitchen) I noticed the oil gallery plug in the alternator side had an o ring in as it melted out(thought it might just be blanked off!).
This plug has no thread, but I can't believe it's just pushed in when there's oil pressure behind it?
Does anyone know about this please?
Also I notice there's another plug under the oil filter in the lower crank case. Is this pressed in? It seems to have been machined as part of the oil filter circular mounting?
Can anyone help please. I'd hate to start my rebuilt engine with oil leaks before I'm out the workshop!
Thanks.
Andy.GA

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Oil path plug 400/4
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:42:14 pm »
I've never noticed a plug in the oil filter area, but haven't looked for one...
The alternator side plug is held in by the alternator cover, it does have an o-ring. I recommend not starting the engine with that cover off.

Offline Andy.GA

Re: Oil path plug 400/4
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:52:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer Bodi. I think I need to get the new o ring for it on order then.
As for the oil filter plug, it doesn't look removable like the oil gallery plug? More pressed in and then machined?