Author Topic: My "taken longer than it should" custom cb750 cafe builld, Finally Painted  (Read 7918 times)

Offline yzracer2

I started this cafe project in January 2012 with the thought that I would be riding it by summer 2012. well riding season is almost over here and I still don't have it done. I also have more money in this thing than I had planned like most of my projects.  I wanted to thank everyone associated with this board for all the information I gleaned from all the posts. I have a few pics to share.
The first is after I tore it down, the 2nd during mock-up, 3rd as it is now. The last is how I brought it home.
I have riden it around the block a couple of times but it is far from street legal yet.
I still have a lot of work to do. Paint and bodywork, lights, rear brake etc. I might have it done for the 2013 riding season.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:15:32 am by yzracer2 »

Offline mazen0822

Re: My "takn longer than it shouda" build
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:04:15 pm »
tell us about that rear break set up you have working.

Offline yzracer2

Re: My "takn longer than it shouda" build
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:29:56 pm »
The rear rotor is off a suzuki bandit. I haven't figured out the details for a caliper yet

Offline Free Booter

• My Build: CB750k5
  • Hot Shot
  • Meh.
Re: My "takn longer than it shouda" cafe build
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
Pretty amazing progress if you ask me, but you weren't and ,frankly; I'm no expert on time frames...I'll be working on mine until the mayans come back from space on their flying death lizard birds and enslave humanity with death ray wielding robots that ride on perfectly restored 60's-70's motorcyles that weren't actually restored, but actually stolen when they went back in time to get vehicles for their robots to ride on...ultimately adding insult to injury to those of us that haven't completed our projects under budget or on time.

I like where you're headed with that so far. Great job!

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
Re: My "takn longer than it shouda" cafe build
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
Pretty amazing progress if you ask me, but you weren't and ,frankly; I'm no expert on time frames...I'll be working on mine until the mayans come back from space on their flying death lizard birds and enslave humanity with death ray wielding robots that ride on perfectly restored 60's-70's motorcyles that weren't actually restored, but actually stolen when they went back in time to get vehicles for their robots to ride on...ultimately adding insult to injury to those of us that haven't completed our projects under budget or on time.

I like where you're headed with that so far. Great job!

x2 rotflmao..................Gary
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline liPPy

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 cb750k
Re: My "takn longer than it shouda" custom cafe build
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:26 am »
Looks great!

What bike did the front end come from?

Offline Z-MO

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:36:46 pm »
Is that a Benjie's fender mount oil tank?  Or was it another manufacturer or did you fab it yourself? 
'75 CB750 Chop
'72 CB750 Cafe

Offline Z-MO

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:39:26 pm »
Also, could you tell us about your front end setup?
'75 CB750 Chop
'72 CB750 Cafe

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:48:10 pm »
More specifics on the rear wheel set up would be good.... Stock hub..?, did the rotor bolt straight on..?  ;)

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Free Booter

• Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »
looks like a gsxr front end. maybe a 100 or 1100. I'd been monitoring the "eeebz" for those for a while.. good prices on whole front ends... in black or gold for around 150-300 some complete with triples and calipers too

Offline Free Booter

• Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »
Just worried about smashin up my new paint job. As I recall the swing on those is a bit high...guessing you used some kinda stopper? "Industrial Cafe" (a nother forum member)  and a couple of others seem to have has some success with them. I'm still waiting on everyone else to "guinea pig" it before I take the dive. looks sooo cool though.   'course I could be talkin out my arse and its like some kinda super custom build and he hand forge a set of beautiful forks?

Offline benjy

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:39 am »
nice purposeful look.good job!

Offline yzracer2

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 04:10:24 am »
Sorry all for taking so long to reply. It bow season here and I have been busy with that.
The front end is a GSXR 600 / 750 front end I bought off of ebay. I removed the steering stem from the stock front end and had it machined to fit the Suzuki triple clamps. The Suzuki triple clamps do not have as much offset and / or lock to lock clearance from the gas tank so I put a couple of clearance dents into the front of the F tank. I still have to finish the body work on the tank so these are a little rough right now.

The front rotors are Suzuki 320mm  pieces off a Hayabusa. I had 10mm spacers made to space the front calipers out to fit the 320mm rotors.

The wheels are Harley replacement steel wheels and I had to have adapters machined to fit the front and rear rotors to the wheels and a little machine work to the rear rotor as well.
I had aluminum spacers machines to get the wheels centered on the front and rear axles as needed.

The machine shop I use is one that does a lot of work for me in my real job and I just sketched up what I wanted for spacers and machine work and they did the actual machining.

The oil tank is custom made by myself and a local fabricator. I stole the idea from another forum member. Thanks for the idea.

I received my v stacks the other day and threw them on.

I am still working on the wiring

I am trying to figure out how to add pictures easily without having to resize every picture.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:56:52 am by yzracer2 »

Offline yzracer2

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 05:29:48 am »
I found some more pictures of the modifications I made to get the GSXR triple trees to mount to the CB

I had the machine shop modify the bottom of the stock CB stem and add a plate to pick up the 2 holes on the bottom of the lower triple tree even though the stem was pressed in. I felt this was an additional safety step to make sure the tree stays attached to the stem.
I had them lengthen the bottom of the stem a little to add the plate. They did this by tig welding a stub shaft into the stock stem.
The Suzuki top tree center hole is a larger ID than the OD of the CB stem so I had a spacer made to go into the top tree so it will lock down tightly on the stem.
I wanted to made sure the front end was rock solid and this is why I took these additional steps that I hadn't seen done on some other builds on the forum. It adds weight but peace of mind
I have had a past experience with scary front ends and I do not want to repeat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:34:48 am by yzracer2 »

Offline yzracer2

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:39 am »
I made a mock up of the oil tank out of cardboard like I had seen on this forum in the past. Thanks guys. I wanted to have the open triangle style look to the bike.
I worked with my local fabricator to make the tank. I don't have a picture that I can find, but I had the return tube and vent tube built into the tank. The cap is from someone on the internet, I can't remember who, maybe Summit.
One thing I would change is the gage of metal. I would make it thinner if I had it to do over. Its too heavy.
I did have a leak around one of the tube fittings on the bottom that only showed up after I started the bike up. It didn't leak until the oil heated the tank up. So I had to pull it and take it back to the fab shop to fix the leak
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:05:34 am by yzracer2 »

Offline yzracer2

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 06:26:37 am »
I received my velocity stacks from Steel Dragon. Very good quality.

Offline Z-MO

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 06:35:23 am »
Lookin real good man!
'75 CB750 Chop
'72 CB750 Cafe

Offline yzracer2

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 07:01:56 am »
Ongoing wiring

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:10:34 am »
Great job o the o tank, how much does it hold? is it steel or aluminum? Saldana Racing products in Brownsburg IN would make it from aluminum. Would look racy with some cooling fins running vertical top to bottom on carb side of tank.

http://www.saldanaracingproducts.com/index.html

Use Photobucket to download pics from camera. Then copy and paste the "IMG" address in the thread. Easy Peasy.

Don't talk to me about longer than it shoulda. I got you beat by a mile.  :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:22:12 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:30:59 am »
This is looking great man. I love all the custom details and the attention to detail everywhere is astounding. Keep updating this thread!

IW

Offline yzracer2

finally painted nuclear sunset orange satin
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:16 am »
finally painted
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:21:45 pm by yzracer2 »

Offline yzracer2

Re: My "takn longer than it shouda" custom cafe build, finally painted
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 11:53:14 am »
Nuclear sunset orange satin

Offline AgPete139

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 01:03:23 pm »
Looks great man! Nice job! Do you have a picture of your rearset and exhaust bracing?
K5 -- Cafe Racer in progress

Offline bcbillings

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »
that looks great! i don't care how long it takes if i could end up with a bike like that!