Author Topic: Rough bearings after new installation on front wheel?  (Read 826 times)

Offline neurotoxin312

• Hot Shot
Rough bearings after new installation on front wheel?
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:10 pm »
So I've just replaced the bearings on the front wheel of my CB550, and after installing it I noticed that when I spun the bearing on the retainer side, it didn't spin as smoothly as the other side. When I removed the bearings to check to see if there was a problem, it spun smoothly. I thought that maybe the collar was causing an issue but I dont think it is.

Any ideas on why this might be the case? It seems as though when I install the bearings they get a little rough. BTW these are bearings from All Balls.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Rough bearings after new installation on front wheel?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 03:06:54 pm »
make sure the speedo drive is seated correctly,also be sure the spacers prongs aren't fouling inside they seem to get all bent up.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:37:16 pm »
It's a bit of a trick to get the bearings in so the races are aligned and there isn't axial force being applied when the axle is tightened. If the floating bearing's bore is not too tight, they will self-align after a bit of riding. If you drove the floating bearing in tight pushing on the outer race, they're set with the races misaligned.

Offline neurotoxin312

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:52:42 pm »
Should the collar on the inside of the hub move around freely? what is the best method for aligning the inner collar ?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 05:10:52 pm »
 It's as much an art as it is a science. The spacers, races and collar add up to a tight stack of parts with the ball bearings floating free. If it's a little tight it should self adjust.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:08 pm »
You want the spacer touching but not tight. You should be able to press in on both inner races and push the stack - two bearing inner races and the spacer - back and forth slightly.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:36:35 am »
My method for the getting the bearings seated "Just right" is to have the inner races touching the spacer, but you can still rotate each side independently of each other AND the spacer.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:34:42 pm »
The bearing with the retainer gets installed 'til it bottoms. The other side is pressed or tapped in 'til it just touches the spacer. It really is an art.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry